How to remove/stop the bounce/walk effect from a video

Name
Dean Bloomfield
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys

I'm starting to include walkthroughs in some videos but want to remove the bounce/walk effect from the video, does anyone know of a good gimbal or set up for this?

Thanks

I think a lot of smoothing the motion is down to the operator. A good friend who is a professional cameraman told me that in order to achieve this it is necessary to walk like a chimp with the knees bent and have the camera mounted on a shoulder or chest harness - or buy a Steadycam!

I know DJI have a Z Gimbal that you can buy to fit their Osmo and gimbal....

Other than that, it's a case of changing your walk and keeping your knees bent. Keep it as steady as possibly and really concentrate on your walk. A bit of natural motion is ok. But if you find it's too much, run warp stabilizer in post, but this may add unwanted artifacts/jello/warping feel to it.

You didn't mention which camera, I have a Feiyu G4 for my gopro, it can work with similar cameras.
It doesn't stop bouncing altogether but is pretty good especially combined with silly walk technique.
For larger cameras a motorised gimbal won't be realistic for occasional amater use .
You can get simpler devices which work on a pendulum/inertia principal.
There are other tricks which are worth considering such as skateboards/scooters/bicycle. Sounds fun to try anyway.
Also something which hides camera movement is recording higher FPS and slow it down in post.
Obviously this isn't always suitable but in some cases it can work very well, and be barely noticeable or give a pleasing other-worldly feel e.g. flowing water

Last edited:
Three days, software can often compensate. For example, in Vegas Movie Studio there's a Stabilise feature that takes care of pitch and roll as well as camera shake. Obviously, how effective it is depends on the severity of the problem, and the stabilisation process crops in on the picture to a certain extent as it tries to ensure that each frame overlays the previous frame, which leads to messy edges that need to be cleaned up somehow.

It's enough of a problem that there are even standalone applications that do nothing else but stabilise video clips.

I have recently returned to Vegus Movie Studio and found the Stabilise feature to be a little wanting. On one particular clip that I applied it to the 'jello' motion produced had me reaching for the sea sick pills! I tend to use PRODrenalin 2.0 which does a far better job and no 'jello'.

You didn't mention which camera, I have a Feiyu G4 for my gopro, it can work with similar cameras.
It doesn't stop bouncing altogether but is pretty good especially combined with silly walk technique.
For larger cameras a motorised gimbal won't be realistic for occasional amater use .
You can get simpler devices which work on a pendulum/inertia principal.
There are other tricks which are worth considering such as skateboards/scooters/bicycle. Sounds fun to try anyway.
Also something which hides camera movement is recording higher FPS and slow it down in post.
Obviously this isn't always suitable but in some cases it can work very well, and be barely noticeable or give a pleasing other-worldly feel e.g. flowing water
I use the Feiyu Tech G4S with my GoPro....

One way to eliminate some bouce is rather than holding the gimbal upright (say like an umbrella) hold it horizontal (like a knife), that way you'd be rotating one of the axis' to compensate some up/down motion....

I saw a video on I think youtube where some guy made his own "steadycam" with rubber bands and some odds and ends, it looked terrible but semed to work quite well. I'm sure using the basic idea but building it properly work work to make the motion a lot less noticable.

Back