1. Johnny1982

Johnny1982

Name:
    Johnny
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Hello,

I'm currently working on some product shots and I'm having a hard time to simulate this effect of water using Canon 600RT speedlights. I have 3 at my disposal (See attached graphic). 1 strip softbox, two snoots and a number of portable softboxes.

I've attached what I would think in principle would be the best lighting setup (very basic and crude.

I would of thought to shoot the glass tank sitting above a colored card to give the color of the water but what I'm really after is that heavy black contrast on top of the water when it is stirred.

Attached Files:

2. adrianday

adrianday

Name:
    Adrian
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I think the trick might be having a black surface somewhere - perhaps opposite the light source and then perhaps add the colour in post.

sk66 likes this.
  3. sk66

sk66

Name:
    Steven
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Photographing water is like photographing any other shiny/reflective surface... what you will see is more about what it reflects. Put your main light where you want to see highlights. Put black card/fabric (negative lighting) where you want to see the black shadows. And light the blue BG separately with some distance between it and the water tank; it will show through areas that are not reflecting the main light/negative light.

Edit, adding the color in post can also work.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Scooter and Garry Edwards like this.
  4. Garry Edwards

Garry Edwards

Name:
    Garry Edwards
    Edit My Images:
    No
    There's no simple answer to this, it depends very largely on the qualities of the product, it's reflectivity, shape and exactly what you want to achieve.
    I made a basic video about this, quite a few years ago now, the video quality back then wasn't great but I hope that the principles shown will help you.