How to simulate this effect

Name
Johnny
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

I'm currently working on some product shots and I'm having a hard time to simulate this effect of water using Canon 600RT speedlights. I have 3 at my disposal (See attached graphic). 1 strip softbox, two snoots and a number of portable softboxes.

I've attached what I would think in principle would be the best lighting setup (very basic and crude.

I would of thought to shoot the glass tank sitting above a colored card to give the color of the water but what I'm really after is that heavy black contrast on top of the water when it is stirred.

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2018-05-18-at-11.40.01.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2018-05-18-at-11.40.01.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 103
  • Lighting-Setup.jpg
    Lighting-Setup.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 87
I think the trick might be having a black surface somewhere - perhaps opposite the light source and then perhaps add the colour in post.

Photographing water is like photographing any other shiny/reflective surface... what you will see is more about what it reflects. Put your main light where you want to see highlights. Put black card/fabric (negative lighting) where you want to see the black shadows. And light the blue BG separately with some distance between it and the water tank; it will show through areas that are not reflecting the main light/negative light.

Edit, adding the color in post can also work.

Last edited:
There's no simple answer to this, it depends very largely on the qualities of the product, it's reflectivity, shape and exactly what you want to achieve.
I made a basic video about this, quite a few years ago now, the video quality back then wasn't great but I hope that the principles shown will help you.

Back