How to Take Stunning Pictures On TV

And leaves as soon as they are told a P&S is not a 'real camera' by the equipment egotists.

Never seen that here and, if it did happen (and was reported), it would certainly be dealt with by myself or other staff members.

i missed the latest one (oddly enough as ive been processing horse comp photos the last 2 evenings..) but have it sky+'d so might give it a watch tonight and see what "tips" i can rubbish.. :LOL:

Methinks that this program is nothing more than one big advertisment for Panasonic Lumix.

Commercoalism in true C5 style.

Methinks that this program is nothing more than one big advertisment for Panasonic Lumix.

Well it is a commercial television station. That said, I can't actually remember any mention of Panasonic in the program, apart from the prize thing at the end and I can barely make out the actual camera when they are using it.

Call me what you like, but i've found every episode quite interesting with some useful tips, albeit the wedding episode which was a COMPLETE DISASTER!! Don't think i've ever screamed at a tv so bad Lol.

Well it is a commercial television station. That said, I can't actually remember any mention of Panasonic in the program, apart from the prize thing at the end and I can barely make out the actual camera when they are using it.

Panny are sponsoring the whole series, hence their mini Ads at the start and end of the programme and the break. It's also probably why little mention has been made of kit.

The Sports episode was a classic example of where the benefits of faster lenses could have been mentioned, but on the whole it's not too bad as a very basic composition guide.

i missed the latest one (oddly enough as ive been processing horse comp photos the last 2 evenings..) but have it sky+'d so might give it a watch tonight and see what "tips" i can rubbish.. :LOL:

Apart from him going gooey about a capture midway over a spread (not my favourite style of shot, but it has it's uses) it was actually not too bad, albeit fairly basic. He even mentioned exposure comp, but could have expanded it to talk about different shades of subject, ie a Grey, Chestnut or Bay; but that's getting a bit too equinish I think! :D

I've been watching this programme and as a newbie I have found one or two things that have been of interest. My main interest is sports photography and I'm looking forward to watching that episode, can't watch it at the time of the broadcast so have to record it. I did notice one thing in the 'landscape' episode and that was the fact that the toggers were walking downa track with some houses/rooftops in the foreground with the old White Cliffs in the background, this is the very picture that I have as my desktop wallpaper on my Windows 7 O/S, so the prog must have been made some time ago

the girl took some good shots, some of the skate ones youd see something similar in magazines..

but yes, better this week in terms of technical info (they had to be really for sports) but still lacking.

I quite enjoyed last weeks, best one yet.
Looking forward to next weeks as Im sure I have read it is about photographing pets and our horses are difficult to get good pictures of, they always come over to investigate the camera.

I thought it was a fairly decent introduction to taking photos with something other than a P&S...

As panny are sponsoring the series i guess we won't see any proper kit shots unless someone is using a panny!!

It makes me laugh watching the Lumix advert where they blanked out the G??on the cameras?:bonk:

I have watched them all upto now. Although I was on the laptop doing some processing at the time of each (so what does that say!)

Anyway, not sure if I missed it, but has there been any talk about lenses for certain uses. Or are they assuming that the kit lens does every job?

Eric

Well, I tried starting a positive thread about last nights show and it closed and pointed to this one ! I found last nights show quite inspiring. I love the amount of chops people on here give a half hour programme on mainstream TV about our chosen hobby. We never any kind of photography show on tv and when we do people complain its the wrong sort and heaven forbid its sponsored by ... oh no.... a camera manufacturer (who also sponsor other ch5 stuff like csi).
Last nights show had photos from IMHO one of the most incredible photographers Tim Flach. I bought his book on horses and its breathtaking. They showed two photos last night that again imho were in a class apart that most of us could only dream of taking.
Even if it were 25 minutes of guff and 5 minutes of Tim Flach in your living room talking photography I'd of thought peeps on here would be well chuffed. Aparently not. This weeks pair were using point and shoots and getting some nice results so hopefully it will inspire more newbies into our hobby...
Al

I, no way, profess to being a good photographer or have great knowledge but even I can figure out at what level of photographer this programme is aimed at.

If a TV station aired a programme aimed at serious/pro photographers the ratings would drop faster than a prossies knickers. I like to watch football (apart from last night!) but I would be bored to death watching a programme about ball skills and how to bend a ball round a wall. Programmes like this, in my opinion, have to be general and easy to understand for everyone, not just the geeky elitists.

The people on the thread slagging off this programme frankly, must have nothing better to do.

What makes me laugh, they slag it off but watch it every week. :)

Last edited:
I, no way, profess to being a good photographer or have great knowledge but even I can figure out at what level of photographer this programme is aimed at.

If a TV station aired a programme aimed at serious/pro photographers the ratings would drop faster than a prossies knickers. I like to watch football (apart from last night!) but I would be bored to death watching a programme about ball skills and how to bend a ball round a wall. Programmes like this, in my opinion, have to be general and easy to understand for everyone, not just the geeky elitists.

The people on the thread slagging off this programme frankly, must have nothing better to do.

What makes me laugh, they slag it off but watch it every week. :)

I agree . But last nights show had a few gems...I mean who thinks they wouldn't take a few tips off Flach?

I love the way someone suggested "did they dedicate any bits to lenses?" yeah, that'd get people interested:bonk:
al

Now that the series has developed I think it is pretty clear to see that the aim of the show is to get people to think more carefully about the shots they take - the subject matter itself, the lighting, the composition, the timing. Those are all critical things to making a worthwhile image and, relatively speaking, are not dependent on the equipment availlable, meaning the lessons taught should be accessible to most.

At the end of the day isn't the subect and scene (and light) more important than the equipment used? The most expensive gear in the world is not going to turn in "stunning" results if you have no clue where to position yourself, where to point it and when to release the shutter. Now obviously there are specific photographic niches, such as sports and weddings, where kit does matter a great deal, but without a good eye to see a worthwhile shot it is probably not going to help much. The difference between a snapshot and a good photograph lies in the hands and the eye of the photographer, not the equipment.

I was highly sceptical of the show, especially based on the first episode, which really was poor, but I think the value is improving as we move through the series. This week's show was actually quite enjoyable, and there is no doubt the pro this week (and last) was turning out some wonderful work. I'm not sure I can be so positive about earlier shows.

I don't think it would kill them to at least give a nod to the advantages of adjusting focal length to allow alternative perspective in shots, or the creative power of aperture for DOF control and shutter speed for motion, but just giving proper thought to the scene to be photographed is a head start. It's taken me a while to get my head around where the show is at, but now I'm beginning to cotton on.

I think the frustration of many on the forum is that we'd love to have more photography related shows on TV, but sadly this one doesn't hit the spot for everybody. Is there room for improvement? I think so. Is it better than nothing? Absolutely.

Now that the series has developed I think it is pretty clear to see that the aim of the show is to get people to think more carefully about the shots they take - the subject matter itself, the lighting, the composition, the timing. Those are all critical things to making a worthwhile image and, relatively speaking, are not dependent on the equipment availlable, meaning the lessons taught should be accessible to most.
........snippy ........Is there room for improvement? I think so. Is it better than nothing? Absolutely.

Well said and could not agree more(y)

Yes I would of liked a bit more info and detail but i have picked up a few tips so far and it has actually made me think before pressing the shutter button(y)
Therefore it has helped me to improve.

I reckon they should have replaced "stunning" with "better" as a title though:)

Well I've just caught up on the last three and to be honest, when you consider who it is actually aimed at, it is pretty good. These are short programs aimed at beginners who would like to go that little bit further. I can't see what peoples problems with are? It is sponsored by Panasonic but that isn't thrown in your face during the actual program.

I found last night's show quite different from the rest and very interesting.
Yes the show is aimed at people wanting to improve from the 'snap' position but to me that isn't a problem. We all started from there at some point.

For me the weakest point of the show is Suzi Perry. Her role is pointless.

I wonder if some of the shots taken by the amatures have been processed by experts. I say this because when you saw the head shot of the highland cattle, the colours were fantastic. they showed the shot a few times, and there was no way the camera would have picked up that amout of tonality. It was better than the real cow.
Dean:)

Im sorry Voyager. If you consider a Automatic 'P&S' to be a a camera to use for a pro or to do a job with other than back up... If that is so, then it is a SAD SAD out look.

Anything on auto does not Warrent the 'PRO' title. Give my Gran a Point and shoot and hey presto!!!!!!

You need skill in use of equipement and more Skill in compasition and people skills.

Please !!!!!

Had to laugh at those who use I-Phone for shots. What is the world coming to????

It just dilutes and de values the 'REAL' photographer!!!

Angry? Yes I am!!!! Tired of wanna be's play acting , under cutting and cheaperning this Fantastic and superb industry that is Photography.

Last edited:
any one see the pictures of the dog never where they on a compact the depth of field and how sharp they where where never on that compact ;/

any one see the pictures of the dog never where they on a compact the depth of field and how sharp they where where never on that compact ;/

Having just done a rough test at a similar distance to the shot that the guy took at the dog's home, I'd say that you are talking rot. The DoF is perfectly achievable and given that the TZ10 probably has a damn sight better IQ than my Ricoh CX2, I'd say that the sharpness is as well.

Had to laugh at those who use I-Phone for shots. What is the world coming to????

Surely the whole idea of photography is the end product,the photograph.
It doesn't really matter how or what you took it with and just because someone has a top end camera doesn't mean they are anymore of a "real" photographer than someone with something basic. In fact I have a lot more respect for somebody who turns out great pictures with a point and shoot because they certainly haven't got the luxury of a million and one different settings to play around with.

Last edited:
I thought last nights programme was probably one of the better ones in the series (of which I have really enjoyed!)

I liked the encouragement offered in approaching people and talking to them. I actually did something similar over last weekend and I was impressed with the friendly attitude of people and their willingness to have their picture taken.

As long as you are polite, explain what you are doing and why you are doing it I think most folk will be happy to let you snap away.

Im sorry Voyager. If you consider a Automatic 'P&S' to be a a camera to use for a pro or to do a job with other than back up... If that is so, then it is a SAD SAD out look.

Anything on auto does not Warrent the 'PRO' title. Give my Gran a Point and shoot and hey presto!!!!!!

You need skill in use of equipement and more Skill in compasition and people skills.

Please !!!!!

Angry? Yes I am!!!! Tired of wanna be's play acting , under cutting and cheaperning this Fantastic and superb industry that is Photography.

In reply to your post there is a position for p&s and those who want to use auto mode. Surely it is the end result that matters.

The winning entry of this years "countryfile", "Sheep in a snow drift" was taken using a p&s?

I believe there is room for everybody in the world of photography even us wannabees....

I thought last nights programme was probably one of the better ones in the series (of which I have really enjoyed!)

I liked the encouragement offered in approaching people and talking to them. I actually did something similar over last weekend and I was impressed with the friendly attitude of people and their willingness to have their picture taken.

As long as you are polite, explain what you are doing and why you are doing it I think most folk will be happy to let you snap away.

Last night's was the only episode of the show I've watched in it's entirety, mainly because of Martin Parr's presence. I had to laugh at the idea that you can wander around a beach taking candid snaps of people though. Take away the tv camera crew and I think your average photographer would find it was the police and not a renowned photographer that was reviewing their images....

Did you notice how the camera make was blurred out?

This programme is the pants! Terrible format. No help on camera settings just same old same old!

This programme is the pants! Terrible format. No help on camera settings just same old same old!

Agreed - i expected a little info on some of the setting used to get these photos. I watched last weeks on landscapes and he just mentioned using a filter, not what filter, no wonder the guy was using his sun glasses!

Back