How to Take Stunning Pictures On TV

Probably not, but the type of cameras they are giving the people on the programme to use are able to have filters attached.

They don't have to mention a 'brand' of filter, but maybe the 'type' of filter would have been a good idea. ;) Instead of 'like sunglasses'. What solid colour sunglasses or graduated colour sunglasses? :bonk:
Why would Panasonic want to spend £x,000 on sponsoring any other peoples filters?

I'd wager that was the reason none were mentioned. My wife thinks as they mentioned sun glasses the filter was a polarising one.

Ginger DJ Rob said:
We thought that was the finish until Suzi Perry announced we had to re-shoot as she'd worn the wrong dress! Suddenly, you got the impression of who was really in charge.
This is the point where I would have walked! Well done for holding it together. :clap:

Why would Panasonic want to spend £x,000 on sponsoring any other peoples filters?

Because as was seen in the programme, using a filter could improve the image at capture. If they don't sell filters themselves I don't see why Panasonic would have had a problem. :shrug: It would help some people being disappointed with some images from their Panasonic camera in certain situations.

I'd wager that was the reason none were mentioned. My wife thinks as they mentioned sun glasses the filter was a polarising one.

And that's the point, it could have been a Polariser or it could have been a Graduated filter (though probably a Graduated filter). :shrug: Your wife at least knows that those are two types of filter, most people would not. :shrug: There is a cost difference, different usage and different results from each type of filter.

And say someone goes to buy the Polariser and gets a Linear type? Not only would they have the wrong filter, but they would have the wrong type of the wrong filter. :LOL:

I can see the scenario now, hordes of P&S shooters going into the local Jessops and asking for a filter, and what sort of filter would that be sir :LOL:

Yep and being given blue tack to stick it onto the P+S!

Having used my sunglasses over the camera lens when at uni and using an Olympus Trip MD (awful thing!) to get a shot over poole harbour into the sun, I was quite impressed to see them using the same technique. I did it just as an experiment, as I liked the view with my sunnies on, but couldn't see a damn thing with them off, having never heard of filters at the time.

I actually like the sunglass filters shots, although not bothered about the urban ones (though can see they are technically better)

Anyone else notice that when the freerunner presented the ledge photo CW said it was really nice as is, yet when CW presented it as his chosed pic it was nicely cropped to a wider aspect ratio? It particularly struck me because the issue of whether to crop was mentioned in the initial discussion and then discarded by CW :/

Well I decided to watch the landscape episode last night on "Five Demand" and I really enjoyed it.

I thought the host photographer Charlie Waite had an excellent attitude towards the two students, I thought he came across really well. Thoroughly enjoyed it and I am looking forward to the next episode.

I wonder when Jessops will start selling folding mounts for us to use instead of the viewfinder

:coat:

For those people that ARE interested in this programme, and no doubt there will be quite a few.........if you missed this weeks programme it is being re-run on Channel 5 AT 11.05 AM THIS MORNING (SUNDAY) Hope this is of help to some of you

Hi

Just found out about this on Channel 5 Clicky Linky

How to Take Stunning Pictures (Special Interest)
When - Tuesday 14th September on Five HD
Time - 19:30 - 20:00 (30 minutes long)

Photography masterclass presented by Suzi Perry. Celebrity photographer Harry Borden instructs two budding snappers in how to turn simple snapshots of friends and family into stunning portraits. Harry's students are then put to the test with assignments that include producing a heroic portrait for the Help for Heroes charity.

Dave

I watched it on Demand Five to save myself 10 mins of ads or whatever.. Is it just me or did the camera man seem to come up with better shots and angles than the students? Infact when that Jed fella was searching for shots and using his purple tinted sunglasses as a filter :thinking: the camera man shot the sun through the flowers - at least twice! - I think he was suggesting something there ;)

I don't really understand the selection process, It seems to be that if you can operate the shutter you can be on the show. I think it would be much more interesting to watch some amateurs that do know a thing or two improve after some tutoring. All that I got from the last episode is knowledge that the cameraman had some nice ideas about composition and that if I wish to balance the exposure between the foreground and the sky I require a filter.

more useful tips in this than all the others put together tbh

:agree:

I thought tonights show was pretty good TBH. Lets face it a 20 minute show is barely going to skim the surface of any genre in photography, but the tog mentioned a guide of shutter speeds, composing the shot with the background in mind, getting down low etc...

All in all it was definetly the best one so far.

I agree this one was at least resonable. Did anyone notice the videoing of the conversation between the pro and the student, panning back and forth with the conversation, fair makes you dizzy. Must have been an economy shoot and didn't run to two cameras!

Is it me or were there less adverts? Or maybe it was more interesting that I didn't notice them. I think tonights sports was the best episode so far.

I liked the way that the Pro emphasised watching the action first so you know what's happening.

His tips ere very well expressed and were obviously taken on board by the amateurs.

I actually enjoyed this week's show - I didn't doze off during it :)

I was talking to my local newsagent a couple of days ago and he thought it was an interesting series as he has a P&S and never considered more than just P&Sing with it. It's made him realise that getting a lower or higher viewpoint makes a difference. and that he can do a lot more with his camera than he ever realised.
I suspect it was the word "stunning" that drew him in, and probably a lot of other people who've never been on a togging forum, so in that respect I think it's a useful series.

I think we're all missing the point here. It's not aimed at us or at people who already have enough interest to learn the technical aspects of photography. It's just an entertainment show pitched at the level of casual snappers.

If they got into technicalities it might please the minority of serious toggers but would completely turn off the mass of casual viewers.

couldn't have put it any better myself,although i was hoping it would have helped me improve a little ;):LOL:

Last nights episode was definitely the best so far.

Thing that annoys me most about the show, is the camera work! Zooming in and out gives me a headache and I find it quite unpleasant.

I do think they're doing the best they can, given the allocated time. If it was perhaps an hour long show, they could develop it much more.

Would be interesting to find what the viewing figures are, although it is Channel 5 so perhaps a few dozen :LOL:

Be nice if they did some work on camera settings etc. Same format for each show so far which makes it boring.

Hi. Further to that interesting blog, I watched last nite's offering on sport. Interesting that the subjects didn't use a Panasonic, but a regular DSLR and long lens, the 'expert' using a huge long lens on a monopod. I guess there are some aspects of photography that yer budget camera just can't equal. Having said that, shooting horse jumping in the open air is way different from shooting judo in poorly lit gym. I thought they did all right.

I thought last nights show was much better but I really craved for the girl to take a slow shutter speed shot of the guy on the skateboard as he went round that large curve. I was telling my Mrs "this is what she should do here"...

I guess that you have to get the technical bits right before you can let the creativity set it....

Was much better though.

Steve

Found some of last nights show a bit ironic ...
The pro, repeated sports photographer of the year, not exactly light on his feet, was he ? Maybe this is why he had such a long lens as he certainly was not going to be chasing the action.
"Horse coming straight at you, you can get away with a SLOW shutter speed of 1/700th" !!!
Right, lets have a go at that with my 200mm F5.6 :LOL:

The pro, repeated sports photographer of the year, not exactly light on his feet, was he ? Maybe this is why he had such a long lens as he certainly was not going to be chasing the action.
"Horse coming straight at you, you can get away with a SLOW shutter speed of 1/700th" !!!

Yeah, he wasn't exactly built for 'action'. He certainly captured super shots, though. Just shows you need good gear to get 'stunning' photos. Panasonic, anyone?

Would be interesting to find what the viewing figures are, although it is Channel 5 so perhaps a few dozen :LOL:

Well it hasn't breached the FIVE Top 30 programmes yet. ;)

I think it would take a series or two to build the viewers. Whether this programme in its present format can do that is another question. ;)

I'm sure mine would just be one black screen

On a sunny day you could shoot f/5.6 at 1/800 and 100 ISO. If it's not sunny then bump the ISO up till you get to where you need to be.

Thank you for that

Thank you for that

No probs. :)

The figures are based on adjustments from the standard "Sunny 16 Rule", which states that in bright sunshine, if you were to shoot at f/16 you shutter speed would equal 1/ISO. So at 100 ISO your shutter speed would be 1/100; at 200 ISO your shutter speed would be 1/200 and so on.

If you open up the aperture from f/16 to f/5.6, which is 3 stops brighter, you can increase your shutter speed by 3 stops to compensate. Thus if you stick at 100 ISO you can go to 1/800 in bright sunshine.

The "rule" is more of a guideline, but should get you in the right ball park and let you work out if your combination of exposure settings makes sense.

Last edited:
I have not shot much sports myself but what I have always been told with equestrian, the most difficult thing is to get the riders eyes due to the lip on the cap and the dip of the head as they jump. This was not mentioned at all, just seems a bit too basic. I was also not sure about the side on composition, maybe just personal choice but I much preferred the first composition, getting the front three quarters view just as the horse is bending the front legs over the fence, taken from down low.
I really do think they need to mention kit and the limits of kit a bit, training on the pro togs rig then going out the next day with a bridge or entry level dslr is a different proposition.
Maybe it is just time constraints ?
Lastly, that artificail shutter noise every time a frame is taken is horrible.
All a bit tacky and amateurish, had they called it take better pictures then fair enough, but they have gone and stated stunning pictures ...
rant over, bit grumpy this morning !

I keep watching the programme to see if anything really interesting and helpful is mentioned! Not very good so far.

I was talking to my local newsagent a couple of days ago and he thought it was an interesting series as he has a P&S and never considered more than just P&Sing with it. It's made him realise that getting a lower or higher viewpoint makes a difference. and that he can do a lot more with his camera than he ever realised.
I suspect it was the word "stunning" that drew him in, and probably a lot of other people who've never been on a togging forum, so in that respect I think it's a useful series.

For all those still upset by the programme, this is a perfect example of the producers market.

It is not meant for the likes of most of the people here.

Now the shop owner just needs to join TP:)

Back