Hoya Pro 1 CPR

Edit My Images
Yes
What is the difference between the Pro 1 and the standard Hoya CPR? Is the Pro 1 really worth almost twice the price over the standard?

Thanks

It's made of glass, of course it gets scratched easily, you just need to take care of it.

It's made of glass, of course it gets scratched easily, you just need to take care of it.

It was the coating that got scratched, and very easily.

Perhaps the coating or the filter has changed since then, but I thought a warning might be in order.

The standard CPL can be treated with a lot less care and it will survive.

I've a Hoya Pro CPL filter, and I've no problem with scratches. I just treat it carefully ( but not with kid gloves) and it's fine.

Good glass deserves good glass (Cheap filters on expensive lens not a good idea)

It was the coating that got scratched, and very easily.

Perhaps the coating or the filter has changed since then, but I thought a warning might be in order.

The standard CPL can be treated with a lot less care and it will survive.

Ah, understood.

I have the Pro 1 and was told at the time of purchase,

It is thinner glass (lets more light in)

It is coated on both sides, scratch resistant

It is threaded on the outside in order to take another filter (stacking), should it be required.

I have had mine nearly 2 years now and there are no scratches on it.

Considering you manually rotate it I think that's not bad.

Hmm ok, I already have an 82mm standard Hoya on a Sigma 24-70 and was wondering whether to get a standard one for a Tokina 12-24 and maybe a 300 F/4. Looks like i'll be going for the Pro 1 then.

I personally find that its very easy to scratch coatings on a C-Pol.

Doesn't make any difference to IQ, but I "mank" mine up really easily.

Its not just me then....:naughty:

Do you use Hoya Pro filters, or standard, or something else?

Well I've used a Kenko version (same as Hoya) and that got really manky after a few cleans. No impact on IQ.

I have a B&W MRC which cleans up nicely, I do find the MRC coating pretty good.

Back