hoya std vs pro1 filters

Name
Craig Denton
Edit My Images
Yes
Is there a noticable difference in the quality, or are you paying for a bit of hype and a slimmer profile?

Well I chucked my standard hoya (greenbox) UV filter as it had a seriously detremental effect on image quality I'm brave now I shoot naked!

Well I chucked my standard hoya (greenbox) UV filter as it had a seriously detremental effect on image quality I'm brave now I shoot naked!
i think you can get arrested for that....:LOL:

Im asking the question do determine which circ polariser to go for.

All this lens protector idea is great, but in the 15 years ive been taking pictures ive never scratched a lens, i dropped one once, but no filter would have saved it!!!

how do you remove glare when shooting something like water... and maybe wet rocks.. without using a filter?

Is there a noticable difference in the quality, or are you paying for a bit of hype and a slimmer profile?

Personally, to me anything other than top spec filters DOES affect the quality of the lens and the finish. Obviously the cost a little light, but the cheaper green label stuff for example crucifies top spec optics. I ran a test with my Nikon 24-70 Nano lens and its plain to see.

Also, note that aside from optics protection UV does nothing to digital as UV only affected colour cast on film iirc.

Save your money and get the best filters you can afford as and when.

I ran a test with my Nikon 24-70 Nano lens and its plain to see.

A lot of of people claim not to see this. I am with you, I can see a difference.

Biggest I ever observed was a UV filter on a Sigma 120-300. I was never happy with the lens for ages, wide open seemed a bit soft with CA. The day I removed the UV filter was the day I unleashed the lens to its full potential.

You'll need the pro if you're shooting wide, the slimmer size reduces vignetting.

EDIT: Unless you like extra vignetting of course.

I do know a cheapo no brand filter reduces image quality massively compared to a hoya HMC standard filter.
Well I chucked my standard hoya (greenbox) UV filter as it had a seriously detremental effect on image quality
Personally, to me anything other than top spec filters DOES affect the quality of the lens and the finish. Obviously the cost a little light, but the cheaper green label stuff for example crucifies top spec optics. I ran a test with my Nikon 24-70 Nano lens and its plain to see.
A lot of of people claim not to see this. I am with you, I can see a difference.
Hey guys, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to see some with-and-without shots....

If anyone's interested, I did some with-and-without tests. You can see tham - and try to guess which are with the filter and which are without - here.

Stewart, I see you have got your teeth into this.....:). For the photography that I do, I simply do not need lens protection and I certainly don`t need the expense of buying filters for every lens size I have,the 600 is about 18 cm...:eek:. Using the lens hood and being careful is my preferred method.

I took my filters off mainly because I found them a right PITA to clean compared to cleaning the lens itself. Maybe the ones I bought were bad copies or even fakes,I don`t know, but the images I took without were sharper.

Just my opinion bud.........(y)

Considering how cheap you can get the Pro-1 filters for if you shop around is it really worth going with the cheaper ones for the sake of £10-20? After all you'll have spent considerably more on Lenses/Bodies so it seems silly to compromise the IQ over such a small amount.

I've also done my own test before with a 70-200 lens and Hoya UV Pro1D. There is very slight degradation of the image when you pixelpeep.
I still put UV Pro1D filters on my lenses for protection.

Back