HP ProLiant MicroServer Build

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
After being a bit skeptical of the whole Microserver thing versus a NAS I've done a bit of a U-turn and have just pulled the trigger on a N40L.

Basically the way I have my storage set out at the moment is my Synology DS1010+ 5 Bay NAS filled with 2Tb drives in RAID5 giving me ~7.2Tb.

The issue I have presently is my backup drive, which connects to the USB of the Synology is only a 2 bay RAID0 with a pair of 2Tb giving me ~3.7Tb which is nearly full. So I have been looking at 4 bay USB RAID enclosures and they've shot up in cost, even the budget brands.

The HP N40L is currently retailing at £220 with £100 cashback so it was a bit of a no brainer, and cheaper than all but the most cheap and nasty 4 bay units. Bought with a Kingston 8Gb memory package and a 3.5" to 5.25" adapter to relocate the supplied 250Gb drive (to be used for OS) to the DVD drive bay total cost was £250 (£150 after cashback, still cheaper than most 4 bay units).

So the plan at the moment is to install 2008 R2 server, take the 2x 2Tb from the current backup and 1 from the NAS (possibly also a spare which I need to test first) to create a 3 or 4 drive RAID0 ~6-8Tb to put in the HP as my main data. Then to run the remaining 4x 2Tb in the Synology NAS RAID5 as my backup copy ~6Tb (I also have USB drives to back the NAS up to and take off site). All linked up by Gigabit Ethernet and powered by an APC UPS.

I just need to figure out where it's going to live now..

First impressions and benchmarking etc to follow..

I'm still pleased with mine. Cashback was easy and didn't take too long.

The fan has got a little louder as it has aged but being in the garage that doesn't matter. I have a site bookmarked with quiet fan replacement instructions (non standard header on existing fan so not straight swap).

I haven't upgraded the memory but so far it hasn't been a problem with WHS 2011.

I don't have the HP Proliant but WHS 2011 is Superb

[spoonstir]Put a decent OS/filesystem on it.... You don't need RAID0 on a gigabit connection, just a decent ethernet card. [/spoonstir] ;)

Seriously Neil... expand your mind and FreeBSD/RAIDZ it. Yes, you lose 1 disks worth of storage, but if anything goes wrong, it's a quick couple of commands to replace a drive (you can even do it on a live filesystem if you choose) and you can check the data integrity on the drive without taking it offline.

Losing 1 disk worth would kinda defeat the object at the moment as I wouldn't be any further forward with capacity.

Plan stays for the time being, I've got a few plans for the network as a whole that 2008 will help me with.

OK, so dimbo question of the day - What is the difference between a microserver and a nas then ?

stevewestern said:
OK, so dimbo question of the day - What is the difference between a microserver and a nas then ?

Not a huge deal, the micro server in my case is much more versatile, different OS can be installed, program's installed on it etc.

Some higher end nas based on a server platform can do the same but most consumer units are preinstalled with an OS (normally a version of unix) and limited options. While the synologys are hugely versatile with add on applications etc it won't be as customisable as a computer based device.

So way to complicated for a simple fool like me to set up then...
(not meant to sound like a dig at you clever computer people, more an admission of my very limited limitations !)

stevewestern said:
(not meant to sound like a dig at you clever computer people, more an admission of my very limited limitations !)

A lot of it would be manual setup rather than wizard based like most nas would be.

But really just set up the raid, an OS install and set up like windows, set up the shares and permissions. Fairly straightforward but ill document as I go along when it arrives next week if it helps people.

With the N40L it is really pretty simple. I chose Windows Home Server 2011 to run on it because I've never used a 'server' before and wanted something straightforward. Have to say it couldn't have been much easier.

I now have the server on my home network sharing folders with media in them - pictures, music, home videos etc and anything else on the network can play them (not just computers). I also have automatic backup for our computers that happens without me even noticing.

No raid on my server btw. just slotted a 2TB drive in alongside the supplied 250GB. Moved the shared folders to the 2TB and job done.

If you enable it and possibly set your router to allow it, yes. I've never tried it though.

You can remote Desktop in to the machine and I think there is a webpage you can access your files.

I can access mine via my phone

Here she is..

HP Proliant Microserver N40L by neilgates, on Flickr

Fairly easy to get apart, the connectors were quite fiddly to get undone as you had to do this before the tray could be pulled out.

All of the connectors are straight forward and where the same type are present are colour coded so you cannot put the wrong thing in the wrong socket.. The mini-SAS is on the left just above the USB socket (another nifty little feature, you could run a flash drive as your OS etc), one spare SATA which I'm running the OS drive from, white 4 pin fan header (non standard pin out as mentioned earlier), 2 USB headers, the black multiplug on the far right (I'm guessing is LED and power switch control) and then the large white power connector.

cont...

The Startech HD mount is really easy to use as you'd expect. The HP has a slide and click in system on the 5.25" bay using screws and a torx bit (stored just inside the HD door).

You will need a molex to sata power connector though.

Ghetto USB Windows install... :D

I haven't installed the RAID drives yet, will do this post Windows install.

Mine was really quiet at first too. Got louder after about a week.

I use a card reader and CF as a USB stick too :)

RAID is all set up and done, very straight forward..

If you are configuring RAID after installing Windows then you'll need to do this - http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=13221973&postcount=559

Drives are really easy to install, just make sure you have enough standard hard drive screws as the HP doesn't include any.

HP Microserver N40L by neilgates, on Flickr

Once you've changed the SATA mode to RAID in the bios you get the option to press CRTL+F to enter the RAID utility.. which is really straightforward..

Option 1 shows you attached drives and any assignment to a disk group (as no RAID was set up yet, all show as "single disk").

Option 2 to define a disk group, press space on each field to change the value then arrow down (space on RAID mode flips between 1, 0, JBOD etc, space on stripe block toggles 64kb/128kb, space on each disk specifies to include it in the group you are creating), then press CTRL+Y to save and name the group.

cont...

Last edited:
I should probably point out that RAID0 should not be used lightly without understanding the risks, unlike other RAID modes that offer some protection from disk failure if RAID0 has a disk failure that's game over, the data will be lost. There is no protection against disk failure.

The only reason I run RAID0 is that I have an on site backup that will be a sync copy so data loss will be low/none.

Drives are really easy to install, just make sure you have enough standard hard drive screws as the HP doesn't include any.

there are plenty of drive screws - they are all on the back of the door

I confess my first drive went in without seeing them :)

(and slightly easier to use than those daft torx ones :D)
But not with the all-in-1 £7 toolkit you bought 6 months back ;) :D

Anyone using one of these in a mac household? We currently work off a time capsule but quite frankly it is rubbish.

Back