HP ProLiant MicroServer Build

well got remote desktop working well using dynDNS.

just installed the hyper-v role to set up a virtual IIS box only to realise that my OS ISO is in my bag and I only have a bootable USB attached to the server which hyper-v cant boot from :|

What you trying to setup Neil?

If your pcs access the internet and then access your server they can pass on malware. Unless it's a totally isolated system, it's best to have some sort of AV at all points.

Assuming Kaspersky on the PC's was defeated they could write virus files to the shared folders on the server. Infected files just sitting there are not a threat. I don't see how they will ever get run on the server without someone with administrator access logging in on the server and choosing to run those files.

If someone can tell me why I'd need to then I'll install AV as it is I can't see the need.

Assuming Kaspersky on the PC's was defeated they could write virus files to the shared folders on the server. Infected files just sitting there are not a threat. I don't see how they will ever get run on the server without someone with administrator access logging in on the server and choosing to run those files.

If someone can tell me why I'd need to then I'll install AV as it is I can't see the need.

So having infected files isn't a problem?

Ok

Never mind.

If your pcs access the internet and then access your server they can pass on malware. Unless it's a totally isolated system, it's best to have some sort of AV at all points.

If they get through the main PC's AV, why do you think having AV on the server will stop them?

If they get through the main PC's AV, why do you think having AV on the server will stop them?

It doesn't matter now, earlier I was encouraged to "move on".

(but having AV on all pcs IS a good idea, unless you have an enterprise environment where the AV is processed at the gateway. For home users, I consider it silly not to)

I will be reading these threads with interest but clearly I have no need for any kind of server, virtual, real or otherwise - not enough data and don't do anything other than web/email/itunes and lightroom :LOL:

Yes. That is an option on the RAID controller, or just leave the SATA controller in AHCI and it'll show as separate disks anyway and then span them as dynamic in Windows.

Great thanks. Think I might have to get one of these.

andrewc said:
Is there any reason this couldn't be used as a normal desktop computer for basic office duties? Mrs AndrewC is dropping hints that her old computer is a bit creaky.

I guess, it's not going to set the world alight as the CPU is fairly low spec. Bung 8gb memory in it, cheap enough.

Got Hyper-V installed and machine set up last night (no point me showing how, installing Hyper-V is about 4 clicks in Role manager in 2008).

Min spec (40Gb HD, 512mb RAM) 2008R2 install for messing around with IIS7.

Windows within Windows within Windows?

HyperV_800 by neilgates, on Flickr

Got Hyper-V installed and machine set up last night (no point me showing how, installing Hyper-V is about 4 clicks in Role manager in 2008).

Min spec (40Gb HD, 512mb RAM) 2008R2 install for messing around with IIS7.

Windows within Windows within Windows?

HyperV_800 by neilgates, on Flickr

Who needs a mirror? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

These hypervisors take the work out of creating VMs :D

very interested in this.

i'm looking to set up a photo server so that i can save/transfer files when home but still have access to them whilst on the road. I already have a QNAP but need more storage (only have 500gb) and like the flexibility that the HP offers (plus 4 bays is useful for future expansion).

I've read that Lightroom doesn't like storage on a network but i believe there is a work around?
Ideally i would like to index everything and keep it backed up on the HP so that i can view it from my laptop (and search for photos by indexing) anywhere in the world but without having 1000s of photos on my laptop (just the LR catalog files). Whilst i appreciate performance in LR will be compromised by my internet speed etc. i'm hoping this is a workable solution that allows access to my library at all times, not to mention the ability to backup/mirror data which i'm poor at doing currently :D

Its a bit of a long term vision but i will be buying the server this week as the price looks great, so any advice (on top of the great work in this thread already) will be gratefully received.

very interested in this.

i'm looking to set up a photo server so that i can save/transfer files when home but still have access to them whilst on the road. I already have a QNAP but need more storage (only have 500gb) and like the flexibility that the HP offers (plus 4 bays is useful for future expansion).

I've read that Lightroom doesn't like storage on a network but i believe there is a work around?
Ideally i would like to index everything and keep it backed up on the HP so that i can view it from my laptop (and search for photos by indexing) anywhere in the world but without having 1000s of photos on my laptop (just the LR catalog files). Whilst i appreciate performance in LR will be compromised by my internet speed etc. i'm hoping this is a workable solution that allows access to my library at all times, not to mention the ability to backup/mirror data which i'm poor at doing currently :D

Its a bit of a long term vision but i will be buying the server this week as the price looks great, so any advice (on top of the great work in this thread already) will be gratefully received.

lightroom doesnt like the catalogue on a network, i believe it wont let you place the database on a network drive. however having all of the RAW/JPG files on the NAS will be fine (provided a cabled gig ethernet), been doing it for years.

Yep, looking to keep the catalogue files on the laptop. just need a more efficient way to store the RAW files.

Might even take a look at XBMC also :D.
Out of interest which HDD's did you go with in the end?

I plugged my microserver into a power monitor whilst I was setting it up. It only had 2 drives in it at the time but green drives are only rated at 2.5W so adding more will not push up the power much.

The most I ever saw it draw was 39 watts. Sitting there doing nothing it takes 26 - 28W.

I did the same - mine was running at 40w when runnnig and around 28 when idle.

I've got the standard boot disk plus 4 2tb disks in it.

I've got the previous model server. Bought it last year sometime.

OK, i've taken the plunge having got one in the deal RobertP posted above (thanks BTW). I will be looking to locate the 250gb in the top bay but just want to confirm what i need to buy in order to achieve this, is it just

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Molex-to-2-...er-Cable/dp/B0002GRUV4/ref=pd_sim_computers_1

and

http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-co...ZQWG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355600638&sr=8-1

mine jsut been ordered forgot about that dotn have mine till xmas day present from my brother so looking forward to christmas day or atleast boxing day to sit and play with it

I've just upgraded my server with another NoFan cooler (on a 95W Athlon II x4 - stress testing gives a max temp of 77 deg C after running for an hour). I also put in a decent (Corsair AX 760) power supply. Gone from 5 fans on to 2 (wound down as far as they will go to just move a little air over the HDDs). All I can hear now is the gentle whine of HDDs spinning :D Definitely quieter here (and it wasn't loud before). Will do my main PC when it's upgrade time....

Yes, I know. One of the advantages with full sized cases (although I hate to add up what this thing has cost over the years as I keep modding it!).

set mine up yesterday, and just wanted to say a massive thanks for the guide on here, got me through a few sketchy moments :D

WHS2011 set up, just installing updates now, then need to install my ASUS HD6450 graphics card. Not quite sure where to start with that one as i'm not sure which drivers to use?!?!?

Back