huge problem with lightroom 4

Gary

TPer Emeritus
Name
See above
Edit My Images
No
anyone else had this?
all the photos i've processed with lightroom 4 that have had the detail slider quite high have got massive noise issues!
1 of my customers told me about it and I assumed they had made a mistake. Another told me about it today so i checked it out.
Viewing the photos on outlook or preview (on the mac) they look awful! However on a web browser (or Lightroom itself) they look fine!
I've gone through all my photos from this year, and it only started happening in March (when i replaced Lightroom 3 with 4).

Might be worth everyone checking their photos if they have adjusted 'detail' significantly!

and now, I'm off to reprocess 7 months work :)

this is what it looked like to me:
http://www.xynamic.co.uk/temp/nots***.jpg

this is what it looked like to the customer:
sht.jpg

good way to lose customers, huh??

Oops. Which Detail slider is that and what did you have it on? There are 3 in the Detail panel.........

Do you have sharpening set high too? That's the only way I can replicate your problem... Dialing a little luminance noise reduction helps no end though.

If I adjust 'detail' significantly then I do see it in Lightroom, zoomed in at 1:1 (on a Mac).

Mind you I can't think of a situation that would need that amount of detail adjustment, the default is fine as is.

Gary

I have LR3 but presume 4 isn't a mile away

As a thought, have you got the export setting for sharpening raised as well? If so, it could be fine on screen but when exporting it could be effectively double-sharpening?

Gary

I have LR3 but presume 4 isn't a mile away

As a thought, have you got the export setting for sharpening raised as well? If so, it could be fine on screen but when exporting it could be effectively double-sharpening?

This was my thought, I've only got LR3 but there is a 'Sharpen on Export' option in the export dialog that could be set too high.

Viewing the photos on outlook or preview (on the mac) they look awful! However on a web browser (or Lightroom itself) they look fine!

I'm no expert in Lightroom or anything, but work in IT and have to do a lot of general troubleshooting. I'll put my 2p worth and pretend I'm at work now (I'm on holiday this week) :)

The above quote about it being fine in a browser is key for me here. If it's fine in a browser viewed at the same size as you're viewing it in Outlook where it's not fine I really can't see how there can be a problem with the image itself. Not even taking into account the fact that what you're describing in producing jpegs after a bit of PP is such a run of the mill thing that it would be amazing to think it made it past quality control at Adobe.

Are there any common aspects for those customers who've experienced the issue with the scenario where you've replicated it? ie you're seeing it when previewing it in Outlook on a MAC and they are also previewing in Outlook on a MAC?

maybe it's a problem with the mac settings? it might only preview them in very low quality for example by default.
I'd +1 this.

Anyway, I'd say it might be worth considering this before rolling your sleeves up and going re-editing everything from the last 7 months! :crying:

You got me fair worried there, Gary!

However, now that I have tried it on my windows machine, I can't replicate your second pic.

Here are 4 pics from Sunday, all have Auto tone and all have output sharpening for screen selected, when exporting from Lightroom.

1. No further processing..

3T5G0298TalkP.jpg

2. Normal processing I do for bikes...

3T5G0298TalkP-2.jpg

3. Every one of the sharpening sliders to maximum....

3T5G0298TalkP-3.jpg

4. Sharpening Amount slider at 2 and Detail slider at maximum (100)

3T5G0298TalkP-4.jpg

Nowt wrong with Lightroom, so forget about 7 months of reprocessing and find out what is wrong with your Mac settings.

Oh aye, and don't give me another fright like that ;)

Hope you get it fixed soon, Gary.

Have now sent copies of the above photos to myself on Outlook and on Hotmail and they all look just the same as my posting.

Back