North England Hull. Is it worth bothering with?

Edit My Images
Yes
The next mini meet is being planned.
Hull has been suggested. All I know it that it's at the end of M62.
From a photographic point of view...what is there of interest. Not interested in people or street, but anything else considered.
Trip will be mid January to mid February.
Travel will be by train so no suggestions that need a car.
Trips by bus/tram/metro of 10 - 15 mins or so will be considered.
Likely to arrive lunchtime and leave mid afternoon following day. So an afternoon, an evening then the following morning to fill.

Is there enough to fill a trip? If so what?

There is the Humber and the Hull both with water fronts. The city is mostly streets as cities tend to be but even if you do not like like the Street genre, there is plenty of architecture around the streets. Quite a few interesting churches which keep me interested.

I've never been to Hull,
just assumed it wasn't worth bothering with.
Yes. That's why I'm asking. A few years ago SWMBO had to spend two weeks working over there. Her reply is not printable, but surely things have improved?(And don't call me Shirley)

Thanks. I've been playing with Google Earth, and searching Flickr. It's hard work!!!

Trust SWMBO. I took my camera with me when I visited and it stayed in the bag. For a city of culture it is severely lacking. I guess that's what the difference between paid for and earned titles in a year provides.

Yes, went there for a day out and found a fair few things to do
Excellent maritime museum and in the old town a very good transport museum, both free
Also a deep sea trawler open to visitors, this one was pay to enter
The old town itself has some great buildings and the marina is interesting too.
Lightship there, but not sure if it's open to the public, railway station is also a nice building.

Could get off the train and have a look at the Humber Bridge, can't remember the stop, but its on the line from Doncaster (that isn't worth visiting)

Could get off the train and have a look at the Humber Bridge, can't remember the stop, but its on the line from Doncaster (that isn't worth visiting)
Hessle isn't it? But my train won't stop after Selby so the bridge is out. Missed the Forth Bridge because that's too far out as well.

Other suggestions are OK but don't sound enough to fill the time available.

Hessle isn't it? But my train won't stop after Selby so the bridge is out. Missed the Forth Bridge because that's too far out as well.

Other suggestions are OK but don't sound enough to fill the time available.

Biggest Primark i've ever seen, whole city block.

Eurostar sale on for tickets between January and March, direct to Amsterdam 35 quid each way, Brussels and Paris only £29.

Eurostar sale on for tickets between January and March, direct to Amsterdam 35 quid
That's great except for the cost and time involved in getting to/from St. Pancras. Plus a possible hotel or two makes it an expensive trip. The country is run for suvveners:p

That's great except for the cost and time involved in getting to/from St. Pancras. Plus a possible hotel or two makes it an expensive trip. The country is run for suvveners:p

Tough luck then, anyway busy enough on Eurostar without loads of Northerners on it
Just back from Antwerp,very interesting city, Aachen and Cologne next month, it's Christmas market season.

I've never been to Hull,
just assumed it wasn't worth bothering with.
Photography aside, Hull is an excellent city. A very good theatre (Hull Truck, which has a national reputation) several good art galleries, excellent museums. It pays to leave the main areas - the area around the marina is my favourite part.

Last edited:
Frank,

Hull:-
The Deep - shark like building, good at blue hour
Marina - like any other marina but quite large, old Spurn Lightship
Old Town - interesting but not large, some very narrow streets
Riverside - ok,but certainly not brilliant
Humber Street and surrounding area - again ok, not bad at night
Hull Minster

Realistically including visiting the museums @tijuana taxi pointed out, you could do that lot in 2/3 of day plus evening

You could combine with a day trip to Beverley (about 8 miles away, train link) - Beverley Minister and St Marys Church, Quite Impressive, plus a town with some character, old town gate, etc

All IHMO of course

Thank you.
Realistically including visiting the museums @tijuana taxi pointed out, you could do that lot in 2/3 of day plus evening

I was sort of coming to that conclusion. But with travel time from here it makes a day trip impractical. Beverley is a thought but comes across more as a timekiller than a positive destination.

@Ian W Is doing a long term recce for us but I may have to follow Andrew Moore's suggestion^^^^

Depending on where you are, York is a great place with some really interesting old streets and buildings but it does fall into the "street" department with people everywhere and tighter shots to be had than say media city - Salford.

Harrogate has some lovely open park like areas with old classy buildings dumped around the edges or in the middle is the parks, these can make for some lovely shots but I'd be concerned that once there, you might not have all that much to shoot without really looking for it.

Mancs is under constant development. Perhaps a trip back there may be on the cards? Or Liverpool?

If it's the more east side of the country then there's Leeds but I couldn't comment on Leeds too much as I've only ever driven through it a few times during rush hour and been more busy swearing than looking at anything of interest.

Lincoln is a nice place with some good photo opportunities
Maybe, but the problem is getting there. Would take so long that an overnight stay would be needed to make the travelling worthwile, but is there enough to fill two days?

Depending on where you are, York is a great place with some really interesting old streets and buildings but it does fall into the "street" department with people everywhere and tighter shots to be had than say media city - Salford.

Harrogate has some lovely open park like areas with old classy buildings dumped around the edges or in the middle is the parks, these can make for some lovely shots but I'd be concerned that once there, you might not have all that much to shoot without really looking for it.

Mancs is under constant development. Perhaps a trip back there may be on the cards? Or Liverpool?

If it's the more east side of the country then there's Leeds but I couldn't comment on Leeds too much as I've only ever driven through it a few times during rush hour and been more busy swearing than looking at anything of interest.
Agree re York, but as above, have been several times so would need something different to focus on.

Harrogate is lovely, especially in the spring when the bulbs are out. Some glorious displays there. But I don't think the rest of the town would fill a day. Travel is easy though - just a pleasant car drive over the moors.

Mancs - am going there tomorrow. (A mini TP meet up)
Liverpool - I live there so am regularly in there.

Thanks for the suggestions.
As someone else on here said "You've been everywhere interesting within 100 miles". Suppose I have.

Last edited:
It's never dull in 'ull !!!

You can walk from the Marina all the way to the Humber Bridge on the foreshore footpath, very bracing at this time of year.

If you are lucky enough to visit Ull, grab a pattie sandwich, glorious !!! Then head down to the front of the Minerva pub on the marina to learn how to speak ull.

Enjoy

Jas

Lincoln is a nice place with some good photo opportunities
Just had a look into travel.
Car is just silly.
Train is over 4 hours each way, once I've got to Lime Street. Change at Leeds. Change at Doncaster. 4 different train companies in all. £70 return in cattle class.
And that all assumes that the connections work. The Leeds/Doncaster gives me 5 mins to get across the station. Train runs late and I'm in trouble with no ticket for onward travel.
Sorry. Lincoln is out.

I went to uni there for 3 years and still visit a friend a couple of times a year. Hull itself isnt really worth bothering with for photography. Most of Hull is quite run down apart from the centre which is just standard city centre. There is a nice little old town which could be ok if you were into street photography but in terms of landscape its dull and muddy. The local countryside is as flat as a pancake. In summer they have a lot of rapeseed fields which are bright yellow which look cool.

Hull is however within a day trip distance of some great beaches and seascapes like bamburg etc. Id be more inclined as a landscape togger to go up the coast a bit.

I live in Hull, I love it, but as a destination for photography that's not street or people... I'm not sure. It's very flat, got bombed to poop during the war and doesn't have many super fancy buildings like you might find in Leeds or Manchester so it's not necessarily hugely obviously interesting. There are a few obvious points - the Deep as mentioned, the Minster with the mirror pools and the Marina being the most obvious ones but they're done to death locally at least. There's lots of industry (both live and not so) if that's your thing, but it's hard to recommend without knowing what you enjoy, how far you want to walk and so on.

Thanks guys. Doesn't sound too promising.
It would be useful if there was a Plan B. But there isn't. Shucks.

How about Norwich, direct train from Liverpool.
Interesting city, lovely cathedral and castle plus loads of old buildings.
Coast and Broads nearby and accessible by rail, even a small Mustard museum courtesy of Colmans

5.5 hours on direct train. To get there at a reasonable time it's over £100 return.
Cheaper - £70 - if I'm happy to arrive at 3.30PM or later.
Its less doable than Lincoln.

Back