Huts on Stilts

All good, but it's the third one for me as well. Really like the way the huts fade off to the right.

When I saw the first one I thought, oh yes!
But when I saw the last, I moved to , oh HELL yes!!

Great set of images with the third one being my favourite.

All good, but it's the third one for me as well. Really like the way the huts fade off to the right.

When I saw the first one I thought, oh yes!
But when I saw the last, I moved to , oh HELL yes!!

I like them all. great shots

Fantastic minimalism. Nice series :)

Processing is to my taste. Nice, clear and bright. Lovely.

Excellent work
Thanks everyone, much appreciated :)

I totally agree. A3+ size to show off the subtle tones.
Thanks Paul

Brilliant, the colours in No 1 are so subtle.

But do you mind me asking how much are they created with photographic techniques and how much with Photoshop?
Dont mind at all! They were obviously shot with long exposures to smooth sky and water as much as possible. I would normally shoot locally in mist/fog/ or overcast conditions for these type shots as it's just not possible to get the smooth tones in brighter conditions. Then all the toning / colour / sharpening is done in camera raw before taking the shots into photoshop. As these were shot in overcast conditions I've had to fade out the horizon by adding a gradient by sampling the tones within the shot, I've then masked back in the huts.

The first and 2nd shots were easily done taking roughly 30-40mins , the 3rd shot was a lot harder as there was a wall in the foreground I had to lose so this took about 2hrs to complete. I wouldn't normally take as long on a shot but as the huts aren't local to me (4hrs drive) I wanted to make the most of the shots I had.

I'm sure I have commented on 1 and 2 in other media sites, but they are rather beautiful how ever much work is involved the end result is delightful. So clean and although very pastel look complementary against the backdrop.

I'm sure I have commented on 1 and 2 in other media sites, but they are rather beautiful how ever much work is involved the end result is delightful. So clean and although very pastel look complementary against the backdrop.
Thanks Paul

Can't fault these. Lovely work
Thanks Ian

Gorgeous set, Neil

re. the processing question, while it's clear that some processing work has gone into them, for me the finished article is all that matters and these are ace.
Cheers Justin, really appreciate it :)

Stunning Set :)

Normally one would expect some separation between the sea and a skyline, however the more I looked; I really appreciated your processing; a seamless transition, the lack of a horizon with the beach huts appearing through the "pea soup" mist - the third faded version being my absolute favourite. Just Perfect (y)

Thanks Paul

Dont mind at all! They were obviously shot with long exposures to smooth sky and water as much as possible. I would normally shoot locally in mist/fog/ or overcast conditions for these type shots as it's just not possible to get the smooth tones in brighter conditions. Then all the toning / colour / sharpening is done in camera raw before taking the shots into photoshop. As these were shot in overcast conditions I've had to fade out the horizon by adding a gradient by sampling the tones within the shot, I've then masked back in the huts.

The first and 2nd shots were easily done taking roughly 30-40mins , the 3rd shot was a lot harder as there was a wall in the foreground I had to lose so this took about 2hrs to complete. I wouldn't normally take as long on a shot but as the huts aren't local to me (4hrs drive) I wanted to make the most of the shots I had.

Thanks. That's well beyond my abilities, but they're great images. Whether you could call them photographs is another matter........ :thinking:

Discuss?

Thanks. That's well beyond my abilities, but they're great images. Whether you could call them photographs is another matter........ :thinking:

Discuss?
I'd prefer to call them images!

For me some of the greatest togs created images from using such techniques as D&B, cutting, weathering the negs etc! I'm just using techniques/tools to create a photographic image, whether people see it as a "photograph" or "image" I dont really care.

Stunning Set :)

Normally one would expect some separation between the sea and a skyline, however the more I looked; I really appreciated your processing; a seamless transition, the lack of a horizon with the beach huts appearing through the "pea soup" mist - the third faded version being my absolute favourite. Just Perfect (y)

For that last shot is just sublime Neil. :ty:

I'd call them images too.

And that is not to detract. There is an incredible skill in producing work as striking, graphic and pleasing as this. Of this style of image these are the top of the top.

Exposing and camera craft is not tricky. Compose, fine tune composition, focus, expose (and use grads/nd filters) etc.

For that last shot is just sublime Neil. :ty:
Thanks mate :)

I'd call them images too.

And that is not to detract. There is an incredible skill in producing work as striking, graphic and pleasing as this. Of this style of image these are the top of the top.

Exposing and camera craft is not tricky. Compose, fine tune composition, focus, expose (and use grads/nd filters) etc.
Cheers Steve, really appreciate that. Theres obviously a lot to get right in the right conditions on camera first else these type of images are just not possible. All the top guys who create these type of images would pretty much use the same techniques as me in camera and in processing. It is quite refreshing that some (not all) of the big photography comps are beginning to look at creative photography "imagery" and not discount it because it's not "photography"!

Absolutely superb. These are pieces of art that I would imagine would sell pretty much anywhere in the world.

This is not me jumping on the bandwagon about digital techniques, far from it, but was the third an effect of mist and depth of field or is the fade off to the right accentuated in post processing?

The reason I have no problem with image manipulation in the digital darkroom is, as already mentioned, it was done in the film days and I do it myself in different ways.

My photographs are record shots compared to these, but at all levels it is a form of artistic expression. How you go about shaping that is a combination of in camera and post processing. The extent of each has to be a personal choice and there is no right/wrong choice. What you clearly have Neil is a vision of how the shot will end up before even framing up. Something we should all try and think about whilst making a shot, what do we want the final outcome once processed and or printed to be? It really does help in my mind.

Thanks mate :)

Cheers Steve, really appreciate that. Theres obviously a lot to get right in the right conditions on camera first else these type of images are just not possible. All the top guys who create these type of images would pretty much use the same techniques as me in camera and in processing. It is quite refreshing that some (not all) of the big photography comps are beginning to look at creative photography "imagery" and not discount it because it's not "photography"!

I'll be honest, I would much rather see something like this win LPOTY etc than what's previously won it in previous years.

Absolutely superb. These are pieces of art that I would imagine would sell pretty much anywhere in the world.

This is not me jumping on the bandwagon about digital techniques, far from it, but was the third an effect of mist and depth of field or is the fade off to the right accentuated in post processing?

The reason I have no problem with image manipulation in the digital darkroom is, as already mentioned, it was done in the film days and I do it myself in different ways.

My photographs are record shots compared to these, but at all levels it is a form of artistic expression. How you go about shaping that is a combination of in camera and post processing. The extent of each has to be a personal choice and there is no right/wrong choice. What you clearly have Neil is a vision of how the shot will end up before even framing up. Something we should all try and think about whilst making a shot, what do we want the final outcome once processed and or printed to be? It really does help in my mind.
Cheers Craig it's just a mixture of conditions, gradients and masks, all very simple techniques! It's something that I hope to run workshops on in the future from long exposure captures to processing techniques.

I'll be honest, I would much rather see something like this win LPOTY etc than what's previously won it in previous years.
Thanks Steve, was pleased my Abyss shot made the OPOTY book along with one of my macros.

They are top notch, world class images! ''nuff said!
Thanks so much Dale

It was kind of them not to paint the beach huts some garish colours as they work so well with your style. You really have a good eye, the vision to see these shots Neil.
Absolutely terrific work. More power to your elbow and all that work in post is really worth it. Agree with Stuart but all 3 are Top Work! (y)

Last edited:
These are amongst the very best of this type of imagery I have seen anywhere. #1 & #3 are outstanding - truly outstanding - and I suspect #1 would look fantastic printed large on good quality paper. The tones in #1 just edge it, but all are superb. Cracking job.

Back