I am being pulled towards wildlife esp birds

I had Micro 4/3 - a GX1 early days and found that it didn't really do anything for me and whilst looking into it this time, kind of discounted it this camera refresh. Wildlife was not something that particularly a thing for me so....

I am really happy with the Lumix - it fits - but I need more length. The kit lens is 20-60mm and that is insufficient and that got me looking thinking that the 24-105 may fit nicely but of course looking at options you fall into something else. The 24-105 is smarter and more useful for the majority of what I'd want - probably the rumoured 24-200 would possibly be even better. In reality I am now wondering if the 150-600 offers different image options and I'll fill in, when money allows, either the 24-105 or 24-200.

Well to be blunt, for wildlife you need as long as possible and most of the time (imo) a zoom for flexibility. Given you are using L mount I don't think you will do any better than the Sigma and 600mm on a 20mp sensor should get you plenty of keepers.

I do wonder about the 60-600mm though as you get excellent close up ability as well.

Last edited:
As with all FF these days, the cameras are relatively small, your S5 is comparable to my m4/3 G9.
The lenses on the other hand are much bigger needing to cover the much larger sensor.
Definitely worth trying to see if the 150-600 is likely to be manageable.
Even with stabilisation which in this case will be lens only its very hard to keep steady at 600mm

It looks like MPB have a suitable 1.4 TC for sale at a reasonable price. I have no idea how often stuff like this comes up so wondering if the long lens waits a few weeks and I buy the TC whilst it is there - else not.

I think that a TC would work fine with both primes and zooms, making the 20-60 a 28-84 but with the cost of one stop. That bit extra length could be helpful at times. When the 150-600 arrives (I notice I have written that as when rather than if!) it could also prove useful. Is my assertion right? Never had or used one before.

Worth checking the compatibility of the exact TC and lens on the manufacturer spec sheet.

It looks like MPB have a suitable 1.4 TC for sale at a reasonable price. I have no idea how often stuff like this comes up so wondering if the long lens waits a few weeks and I buy the TC whilst it is there - else not.

I think that a TC would work fine with both primes and zooms, making the 20-60 a 28-84 but with the cost of one stop. That bit extra length could be helpful at times. When the 150-600 arrives (I notice I have written that as when rather than if!) it could also prove useful. Is my assertion right? Never had or used one before.
A word of caution.

The only TCs that works with the Sigma 150-600 are the TC-1401 and TC-2001 ... and they will only mount onto a limited number of Sigma lenses. See https://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/teleconverter-chart/ for the compatibility list.

The TC-1401 won't even mount onto my Nikon lenses, for example.

Adding the TC-1401 also increases the wide open aperture to f/8 at the long end so you need a camera that can focus at that aperture. Not all can so check your camera specs first.

Grateful for the wisdom here before spending. What pitfalls am I going to find?

Thinking of buying a Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 Sports DH DN l mount lens as seeing the fantastic range of wildlife captures here. This would be a significant purchase for me and I’d rather have an idea where my regrets are likely to stem from before pushing the go button.

Now I understand that I have very little knowledge on how to actually take wildlife pictures other than little brown birds are quick and little and bigger wildlife prefers places and times when people are not there so one or two gaps that I’m going to need some help with. I’m guessing that you experienced birders will know when and where to be to narrow the failure rate and knowledge more important than kit - but starting somewhere is starting.

I have an alarm clock and time so thinking that a longer reach lens is possibly the next item needed. I have a fairly decent tripod and head that should comfortably hold the lens and camera - looking on YouTube there are claims that this lens can be hand held but very happy to use a tripod.

I understand that even at 600mm little brown birds will continue to be very small unless really close but have no real concept of how close would be close enough. I understand that I could further extend with a teleconvertor - but that is also going to have a down side.

Grateful for your thoughts.
Hi, hope you're finding all the replies useful, even if they all get a little overwhelming at times. So having said that, I'm about to jump in with another one :)

I started with the Sigma 150-600 contemporary, and it was a great lens for me, but it was heavy, and as I approached my 60's it seemed to be heavier and heavier by the day.
Personally I would think about where you are heading for your photos. If you plan to visit 'hide' locations or places where you will set up and wait for your shots, or you're physically strong enough to lug the weight around then the Sigma could be a great lens for you too.

However if you are planning on walking around enjoying open areas, doing mainly hand held photo's that may require you twisting and bending at some ridiculous angles whilst lying on the ground, or pointing at the sky for prolonged periods to get your shots, then the weight will (IMO) eventually get to you and you'll start to think about lighter, more agile systems.

Whichever you choose it is almost inevitable that you will want to upgrade or change your system at some point in the future, as nearly all the photographers I meet have. So think about the camera system and where you can upgrade too, can you do it and keep the same lenses, will you need to change your whole system in the future which may incur a loss of time and money when selling, can you recoup the majority of the cost of the upgrade? These are just a few thoughts, hope they help.

Thank you all for your advice - actually I have spent some time looking at options and thinking about where I am going to be using the lens. Understanding that where we end is often not where we thought we would, my plan is wwt wetlands, the RSPB reserves and a friends farm and all seems to be achievable right now. It’ll be nice to be out when the weather improves - so pushed the go button this morning and expecting the Sigma 150-600 sport to be delivered tomorrow.

Thinking of starting a new thread to document my progress with it. Wonder where I’ll end up?

I know a few others have mentioned this already, but I think in general that Olympus/OM provide a more suitable system for birding. Your S5 has neither the AF capabilities nor the frame rates to match an OM1, EM1x, or EM1.3. On top of that, you’ll get smaller and lighter lenses for equivalent reach (field of view).

I say all this as someone who has recently swapped (mostly) from Olympus to an S5/L mount system - but I do landscapes so it’s a move that makes sense. But I have done a bit of birding in the past and I can absolutely say that I’d never have made that transition if birding was the genre I wanted to do.

Now, I’m absolutely not saying that the S5 plus, say, the Sigma 150-600 won’t allow you to capture excellent shots - but an OM1 with 100-400 or a 300f4 with 1.4 TC would make it easier and give you less arm ache!

Last edited:
Well I guess I kind of am where I am right now eh? I don’t have the budget to keep swapping systems nor to have two cameras for different uses. If it turns out that the lens is not for me, then it'll get recycled into something else. Better to make a recoverable mistake with your eyes open than to do nothing.

The Sigma Sport is a great lens - maybe slightly better IQ than the Contemporary version - but it is seriously heavy.

Be sure to enjoy it and post images on here (y)

Well I guess I kind of am where I am right now eh? I don’t have the budget to keep swapping systems nor to have two cameras for different uses. If it turns out that the lens is not for me, then it'll get recycled into something else. Better to make a recoverable mistake with your eyes open than to do nothing.
Hope it goes well and will be interesting to see how you get on with it all.
At the same stage myself having bought a longer lens to have another crack at wildlife and transport photography.
Just shelled out on a monopod and head, think it might come in handy to occasionally take the weight if nothing else.
Also renovated an old hide clamp, quite liking the idea of taking it easy along with a cuppa and pork pie.

Keep your updates on this thread, it will be interesting to see how you get on. I am in a similar boart, interested in getting into wildlife photography, but shoot Fuji, which may not be the best system for it.

It is one of my main irritations in life - when someone seeks advice then completely ignores the advice and does what they were going to do anyway. So my apologies, I am now that person!

I know you are all right but it seems that I have tso options.
1. Buy the lens and go with it in the knowledge it is in a backpack until I get to where I am going then pretty static and probably on a tripod with gimbal also using the camera body for what it was purchased for - portrait photography with the 50 & 85mm primes.
2. Keep the S5 body and lenses and get a refund on the lens. The om1 and other M4/3 options look great, just no way I can go for the options at this point.

I rarely like the do nothing option.

It is one of my main irritations in life - when someone seeks advice then completely ignores the advice and does what they were going to do anyway. So my apologies, I am now that person!

I know you are all right but it seems that I have tso options.
1. Buy the lens and go with it in the knowledge it is in a backpack until I get to where I am going then pretty static and probably on a tripod with gimbal also using the camera body for what it was purchased for - portrait photography with the 50 & 85mm primes.
2. Keep the S5 body and lenses and get a refund on the lens. The om1 and other M4/3 options look great, just no way I can go for the options at this point.

I rarely like the do nothing option.
If it’s any help I’m currently using the m4/3 system with the Panasonic 100-300 lens and I’ve been looking for the best full frame kit to use for wildlife. I’ve never used full frame before but I guess it’s an itch I’d like to scratch so to speak. My main reason is the higher mp images and the better background separation. Again the weight is my concern plus the ability to hand hold. I too look forward to seeing how you get on.

Hope it goes well and will be interesting to see how you get on with it all.
At the same stage myself having bought a longer lens to have another crack at wildlife and transport photography.
Just shelled out on a monopod and head, think it might come in handy to occasionally take the weight if nothing else.
Also renovated an old hide clamp, quite liking the idea of taking it easy along with a cuppa and pork pie.
We'll be a couple of grouchy old codgers in St Ives RSPB - I'll have better arm muscles but you'll be more sprightly. You'll probably have to carry the pork pies.
Keep your updates on this thread, it will be interesting to see how you get on. I am in a similar boart, interested in getting into wildlife photography, but shoot Fuji, which may not be the best system for it.
Will do. Looking forward to it and having some time with it.
Good luck, I don't think there really is a right or wrong system or set up, it's just a case of getting the best out of what you have in your hand ;)
I so hope you are right!
If it’s any help I’m currently using the m4/3 system with the Panasonic 100-300 lens and I’ve been looking for the best full frame kit to use for wildlife. I’ve never used full frame before but I guess it’s an itch I’d like to scratch so to speak. My main reason is the higher mp images and the better background separation. Again the weight is my concern plus the ability to hand hold. I too look forward to seeing how you get on.
I think, as other have said, there may be better options - but life changes. I hope for the best.

Thank you all. I'd cross fingers but have moved past that point now.

I think a lot of people don't realize that the new version of the Sigma 150-600mm sport (for Sony and L mount) is a good deal lighter than the older version that I use. Mine is nearly 3.5Kg with the massive foot and metal hood whereas the version being discussed here is just over 2kg. Still not light but a good deal easier to carry.

Look forward to seeing some pictures, I think you will be more than happy with it.

Last edited:
We'll be a couple of grouchy old codgers in St Ives RSPB - I'll have better arm muscles but you'll be more sprightly. You'll probably have to carry the pork pies.
Have to get ones priorities right and pork pies win every time.
Quite a decent hide on the big lake halfway on the right going south (its actually east, but that doesn't seem logical) between St Ives and Fen Drayton.
If you want to try your hand at Red Kites one of the best places is around Sawtry.
My daughter lives there and they are constantly wheeling around above her place.

Last edited:
Not been to that one yet, but will. We ended up in Welney over the weekend and are regulars in Paxton Pits and Sandy.
One of my favourites is Fowlmere, three hides and saw an Otter there (no camera that day) nice chalk stream with Trout too.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people don't realize that the new version of the Sigma 150-600mm sport (for Sony and L mount) is a good deal lighter than the older version that I use. Mine is nearly 3.5Kg with the massive foot and metal hood whereas the version being discussed here is just over 2kg. Still not light but a good deal easier to carry.

Look forward to seeing some pictures, I think you will be more than happy with it.
I don't know how you manage with that, when I tried out the 400mm f2.8 (which is just under 3kg) last year it was a chore hand holding it for more than a few minutes at a time :oops: :$

I have Fuji GFX and Canon R5 and tested the Fuji with adapted Canon lenses. The GFX AF system is OK for birds sitting on twigs but way behind Canon for anything moving.

I don't know how you manage with that, when I tried out the 400mm f2.8 (which is just under 3kg) last year it was a chore hand holding it for more than a few minutes at a time :oops: :$

I have done a lot less photography the last few years and haven't used the lens in that time, I took it out a couple of months ago to try on the Canon R7 and it was bloody hard going, so much so I will probably sell it soon. I blame it on my age but I think it's just that I have got lazy tbh :rolleyes:

It is funny how you weigh up pros and cons and make what you think is a reasonable decision - and then you start to have a wobble. It now seems churlish to go against the advice here. I'll return the lens tomorrow. It seems a shame but it is a bucket of money to waste.

It is funny how you weigh up pros and cons and make what you think is a reasonable decision - and then you start to have a wobble. It now seems churlish to go against the advice here. I'll return the lens tomorrow. It seems a shame but it is a bucket of money to waste.
I wouldn’t be so hasty, whilst you have had some good advice suggesting going for M4/3 I also get that you don’t have that system and that those suggestions aren’t really suitable.

I ran FF and m4/3 for a long time but decided I just wanted one system and chose FF. If you’re happy with your current system then the Sigma 150-600mm is a very good choice.

What you have to remember is that everyone secretly believes that the system they've bought into is the best. And for all it's great features this forum does encourage the spend, spend, spend upgrade culture. Best not to listen to the siren calls of the fanboys and stick with what you are used to. ;)

:exit:

Well it hasn’t got here yet so there is nothing to be done until it does, but I really do take the point that 2.814kgs (body plus lens weight) is a significant lump.

Well it hasn’t got here yet so there is nothing to be done until it does, but I really do take the point that 2.814kgs (body plus lens weight) is a significant lump.
It is, and why I prefer to use a 100-400mm with 1.4x TC if needed, but you have to either accept that FF setups for wildlife are big and heavy or you really do need to consider whether the system is suitable for you.

Whatever you end up using, just learn your fieldcraft and enjoy being at one with nature...........nothing else comes close!

Of course, you will suffer from 'GAS' and end up with something completely different in a couple of years! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Got my box, it arrived yesterday. My wife asked me what else I had ordered when she took it off the postman as it was heavier than she expected. It really was heavy so I weighed it and it comes in gross at 4.5kgs.

I have arranged with WEX to pop up tomorrow and see an open box and try that rather than opening this one up. Something I should have done rather than getting this delivered. They did suggest just opening and trying this one but they are a decent firm and with the doubts in my mind think this is a decent option.

Success looks like trying their lens and if it is a realistic option then bringing mine back and using it. If it not a keeper, either getting a refund or else buying an option that was the next planned purchase - a 2.8 24-70. I know there is a difference between a 150-600 and 24-70!

Attachments

• IMG_0266.jpeg
    IMG_0266.jpeg
    25.1 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Nod
Got my box, it arrived yesterday. My wife asked me what else I had ordered when she took it off the postman as it was heavier than she expected. It really was heavy so I weighed it and it comes in gross at 4.5kgs.

I have arranged with WEX to pop up tomorrow and see an open box and try that rather than opening this one up. Something I should have done rather than getting this delivered. They did suggest just opening and trying this one but they are a decent firm and with the doubts in my mind think this is a decent option.

Success looks like trying their lens and if it is a realistic option then bringing mine back and using it. If it not a keeper, either getting a refund or else buying an option that was the next planned purchase - a 2.8 24-70. I know there is a difference between a 150-600 and 24-70!
That's very decent of you, hope it works out well whatever the outcome.
I have bought from Amazon Warehouse for the same reason.
Already been opened and tried so feel ok about sending it back if its not what I want.

Last edited:
While your there keep your options open before jumping in and buying a second choice lens , try out an olympus body with a 100-400 or a 300mm f4 ..
remember if it’s too your liking your current gear has a trade in value . Even try a Sony body with 200-600:
both reasonable priced and lightweight options

While your there keep your options open before jumping in and buying a second choice lens , try out an olympus body with a 100-400 or a 300mm f4 ..
remember if it’s too your liking your current gear has a trade in value . Even try a Sony body with 200-600:
both reasonable priced and lightweight options
The 200-600mm is the same weight as the Sigma 150-600mm (y)

Back