I am "coming out to you as a non-binary person - no not me

Edit My Images
No
This was a new one to me when I heard it today and I had to look it up - what did the person, a woman, who asked the question want? (part of the Obama discussion with the students)

strange in this day of PC that a word like genderqueer should be used

Non-binary gender (see also genderqueer) describes any gender identity which does not fit within the binary of male and female. Those with non-binary genders can feel that they:

• Have an androgynous (both masculine and feminine) gender identity, such as androgyne.
  • Have an identity between male and female, such as intergender.
  • Have a neutral or non-existant gender identity, such as agender or neutrois.
  • Have multiple gender identities, such as bigender or pangender.
  • Have a gender identity which varies over time, known as genderfluid.
  • Have a weak or partial connection to a gender identity, known as demigender.
  • Be intersex and identify as intersex, know as amalgagender
  • Have a culturally specific gender identity which exists only within the culture they or their ancestors belong to.
  • Otherwise feel that their gender is neither fully male nor fully female.
Non-binary people may also identify as transgender and/or transsexual. The label genderqueer has a lot of overlap with non-binary, but non-binary is often seen as more politically correct, since queer is sometimes used as a transphobic insult.

Non-binary people may wish to transition so that their gender expression more closely reflects their internal identity. Many non-binary people wish to appear androgynous and adopt unisex names, gender-neutral titles such as Mx. and/or gender-neutral pronouns, but others prefer to express themselves in ways which are traditionally seen as masculine or feminine, or to mix aspects of the two.

Non-binary people can have any sexual orientation, although if attracted primarily to a single gender they may prefer to use gender-terminology to express this, such as androsexual or gynosexual

Last edited:
Thanks for that because i was wondering what she was talking about

Have multiple gender identities, such as bigender

I genuinely read this as big ender, but I appreciate how wrong that was! :oops: :$

It was a strange thing to do I thought. I think all these different labels don't help. We should accept people as they are rather than they or us feel a need to distinguish each other based on narrow and pretty meaningless criteria. I suppose it's only that societies fail so badly at accepting people outside narrow norms that make it necessary for some to assert such difference. I also read bi-gender as big-ender and thought for a moment that it must mean either someone overly well-endowed or who liked tinkering with engines!

There are a small number of people around for whom confusion and mixed feelings are areas they are encouraged to explore, rather than settle. While sexuality is both a spectrum and a learned behaviour, I can only see this way of breaking the preference/feeling of the moment down into ever smaller definitions as being unhelpful for their progress as a person.

Those of us of a certain age, will remember that "queer" was used to define people that were apparently different from the norm.
( not only sexually)
Then it came to mean "gay's" which was the acceptable term for homosexual.
Then of course various other terms came into being in this ever increasing PC world of ours, ( not that I'm saying that's a bad thing of course.)

Maybe now its just evolved (or regressed) to genderqueer, to encompass, all walks of life.
I just wonder how long before the word gender gets dropped and we are just back to the word "queer" though?

I don't think sexuality is something learned.
I do think that it's increasingly becoming a lifestyle "choice" for many.
Even many so-called transgender people choose not to opt for the full gender reassignment surgery.

Those of us of a certain age, will remember that "queer" was used to define people that were apparently different from the norm.
( not only sexually)
Then it came to mean "gay's" which was the acceptable term for homosexual.
Then of course various other terms came into being in this ever increasing PC world of ours, ( not that I'm saying that's a bad thing of course.)

Maybe now its just evolved (or regressed) to genderqueer, to encompass, all walks of life.
I just wonder how long before the word gender gets dropped and we are just back to the word "queer" though?

30 something years ago, I worked in a gay bar in Glasgow and the preferred description (of the customers) was queer. After all, as one of the customers put it "Being a queer in Glasgae, there's f### all to be f###ing happy aboot!" Things may have changed a little by now!

I must admit, even through I have read quite a lot of stuff, (on the internet), since I first heard the words in the Obama question I still don't know what the woman, (sorry person that looks like a woman but may not be) wants, she did mention that she was a Muslim, but I fail to see what that has to do with much ......... all in all I just find it amazing and wonder what the world is coming to............. maybe Ken Livingstone started all this off

I did ask why wife if she had heard of the term ......... she said to me "aren't they campaigning for their own toilets" .......... that is probably true as this is a load of ........ whatever you want to call it.

Just something else for the PC brigade to bang on about

OMG at this rate we will all have our own "classification" Don't understand why people seem to need to look for labels in almost everything.

Here's the question if you want to listen to what the girl said

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-student-who-came-out-as-non-binary-to-obama

she said with a smile - Hey, hey I'm non-binary, (this week)

others non-binaries now coming out on the web ..... a few on Utube

thank God that i live in rural France and spend less and less time in the UK ........ I wouldn't allow her/it/or whatever to take my dog for a walk ....... she a student at York .... she could one day teach kids ...... how frightening ...... she's does not know what she is ....... but it makes her smile

Last edited:
I wouldn't allow her/it/or whatever to take my dog for a walk ....... she a student at York .... she could one day teach kids ...... how frightening

Could you explain your concerns to me? I'm particularly puzzled how a person's choice of pronouns could affect their ability as a potential dog walker.

Could you explain your concerns to me? I'm particularly puzzled how a person's choice of pronouns could affect their ability as a potential dog walker.

It is not her choice of pro-nouns at all, (I would not trivialise it in that way), - it is, IMHO, her personally (disorder) and her beliefs .. probably more her beliefs ... animals are very sensitive creatures and kids even more so

Last edited:
It is not her choice of pro-nouns at all, (I would not trivialise it in that way), - it is her personally (disorder) and her beliefs

Um, OK. Which particular belief means that she would be an unfit person to be around your dog?

Um, OK. Which particular belief means that she would be an unfit person to be around your dog?

pointeless to discuss with you .. I don't have a dog anyway

but if I had one i would not let her feed my Canary, or water my plants

Last edited:
pointeless to discuss with you .. I don't have a dog anyway

but if I had one i would not let her feed my Canary, or water my plants

You'll understand that this looks very much like prejudice to me. I can't honestly see how this revelation makes the person in question an unfit custodian of small pets any more that it makes her unsuitable as a student of York University or even to educate children. To say otherwise is prejudice. To act otherwise is discrimination. Her point is that currently there's nothing illegal about those statements or actions.

BTW, one of the biggest challenges apparently faced by non-binary people in interacting with the "traditional" world is actually pronouns. Because basically nothing else really matters. It really doesn't matter to me how other people choose to live their own lives but out of politeness it's nice to address them in a way which makes them feel comfortable. The problem is, lots of the pronouns look pretty ridiculous. And there are a lot fo them. http://nonbinary.org/wiki/Pronouns

You'll understand that this looks very much like prejudice to me. I can't honestly see how this revelation makes the person in question an unfit custodian of small pets any more that it makes her unsuitable as a student of York University or even to educate children. To say otherwise is prejudice. To act otherwise is discrimination. Her point is that currently there's nothing illegal about those statements or actions.

BTW, one of the biggest challenges apparently faced by non-binary people in interacting with the "traditional" world is actually pronouns. Because basically nothing else really matters. It really doesn't matter to me how other people choose to live their own lives but out of politeness it's nice to address them in a way which makes them feel comfortable. The problem is, lots of the pronouns look pretty ridiculous. And there are a lot fo them. http://nonbinary.org/wiki/Pronouns

as i said - a pointless debate - I am prejudice, I would not dispute that, the women clearly cares more about herself than the other problems that face the world and which should be addressed by the President, (albeit almost past), of the US

In such a case I would have no idea how to address some people these days, or what to call them, (see post #1)

not an argument, I usually say what i think and this PC stuff is not for me, (maybe my generation), I'm 70 ... I really have trouble even understanding it, I try but I just cannot

(The nearest I got to all this was Lola by the Kinks, but I suppose this trivialises the matter)

View: https://youtu.be/LemG0cvc4oU

Last edited:
thank God that i live in rural France and spend less and less time in the UK ........

Please tell me you are not seriously suggesting that there are no weird/non-binary/transgender/whatever you want to call them, people in France, rural or otherwise.

Please tell me you are not seriously suggesting that there are no weird/non-binary/transgender/whatever you want to call them, people in France, rural or otherwise.

There's only me and the Mrs and a few birds ... enough said

I suppose there is a lot of in-breeding, (can I say that or is there a fancy name) about - some look like gargoyles on the local church, but then I cannot say that as it is non-PC

I am sure that we will be told one day that it is some kind of DNA problem caused by using oven cleaner in the 1950's

but surely you mean ...............genderqueer, androgyne, intergender, agender or neutrois, bigender or pangender, gender fluid, demigender, amalgagender people having a culturally specific gender identity which exists only within the culture they or their ancestors belong to being neither fully male nor fully female......... frogs ...... I'll have to check and ask them ........ there is a guy who stands outside the bread shop all day that I have my doubts about

Last edited:
Reminds me of a line in the film The Fifth Element

tumblr_m2x4fpa1wp1qznvi3o1_500.jpg

Other than that, I have nowt......well maybe, "Me Myself and I" springs to mind......But I am starting to wonder where it will all end?

Here's the question if you want to listen to what the girl said

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-student-who-came-out-as-non-binary-to-obama

she said with a smile - Hey, hey I'm non-binary, (this week)

others non-binaries now coming out on the web ..... a few on Utube

thank God that i live in rural France and spend less and less time in the UK ........ I wouldn't allow her/it/or whatever to take my dog for a walk ....... she a student at York .... she could one day teach kids ...... how frightening ...... she's does not know what she is ....... but it makes her smile
It might come as a surprise to you to know that gender is not always determined by physical attributes, and I do mean gender, not sexuality.

It might come as a surprise to you to know that gender is not always determined by physical attributes, and I do mean gender, not sexuality.

Too intellectual for me Steve ..... that is why I have semi opted out, (of many things in modern day life - I just cannot understand them - lie who sat down and made all these bloody words up)

just asked my neighbour across the valley is there are any genderqueer, androgyne, intergender, agender or neutrois, bigender or pangender, gender fluid, demigender, amalgagender people having a culturally specific gender identity which exists only within the culture they or their ancestors belong to being neither fully male nor fully female around

he said that there is a vegetarian couple locally and a Hyundai dealer about 20 km away

Last edited:
But the other problem with all this is how people present themselves If I see someone who looks like a male dresses like a male acts like a male then as far as I am concerned he is male. What he personally identifies with believes etc is up to him. We all prejudge people to a certain extent. Some things are obvious: Colour of skin, some religious groups, some disabilities. But I can't tell if the black-man wearing a turban with one leg is also gay or transgender. No more than I could say he is a terrorist, wife beater pedophile etc

But the other problem with all this is how people present themselves If I see someone who looks like a male dresses like a male acts like a male then as far as I am concerned he is male. What he personally identifies with believes etc is up to him. We all prejudge people to a certain extent. Some things are obvious: Colour of skin, some religious groups, some disabilities. But I can't tell if the black-man wearing a turban with one leg is also gay or transgender. No more than I could say he is a terrorist, wife beater pedophile etc

Why would his turban only have one leg? :thinking: ;)

You see you have just proved my point with your preconceived ideas;)

You see you have just proved my point with your preconceived ideas;)

Nothing to do with p**** poor sentence structure then? ;)

• Be intersex and identify as intersex, know as amalgagender

what's intersex

We're bivorous in this household. Mrs Nod is an ovo/lacto herbivore while I'm an omnivore.

Back