"I am not a terrorist!", "Photography is not a crime!" - The fightback starts here...

Why did I make 80 posts because I was replying to other items since I joined. I had not realised that someone had replied to me.

You obviously have a problem making comments that are only meant to inflame and aggravate. I believe what you are doing is called trolling, looking about sites just to cause trouble. You’re not a man but a coward and can only say things when you’re stuck behind a monitor in the privacy of your own home. I stick up for my rights even if that is by questioning the police and what they are doing I bet you just bend over and take it. Coward. I can call you that as I would do it to your face as I don’t trawl around web sites causing virtual fights. Do us all a favour and grow up and get a life.

You are a complete and utter bloody moron.

As a photographer I come in to contact with the police on a weekly and sometimes daily basis, and whilst the occasion copper needs some redirection regarding the law, treating every single one like a member of an alien race will get you nowhere very very quickly.

Your concept of sticking up for your rights is called being a deliberate pain in the arse just for the sake of it. If you want to end up having hassle from plod the whole time, then carry on acting as you do, personally I'd rather act like an adult and treat them as humans.

You are a complete and utter bloody moron.

As a photographer I come in to contact with the police on a weekly and sometimes daily basis, and whilst the occasion copper needs some redirection regarding the law, treating every single one like a member of an alien race will get you nowhere very very quickly.

Your concept of sticking up for your rights is called being a deliberate pain in the arse just for the sake of it. If you want to end up having hassle from plod the whole time, then carry on acting as you do, personally I'd rather act like an adult and treat them as humans.

You have obviously not read anything I have posted. I have relayed what has happened to me becuase of inconsiderate coppers. I posted this statement " I really do think that some police decide to have 'sum fun' and flex their muscles when they are bored." Not all not everyone. Learn to read.

And you are a troll. Definition: One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument. Someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

And you are a troll. Definition: One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument. Someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Trolls to not post almost 3000 times. The post was not off-topic or irrelevant.

Your post was just as trollish - and this post markedly more so

Isn't it time this thread was allowed a peaceful death.

Not if anything else that's RELEVENT comes up, but we do seem to have taken a break from relevance in this thread just lately.

The issues with the police do seem to be resolving themselves. I'm sure there are still problems but nothing like there were 12 month's ago. For me, there are far greater concerns about the level of paranoia concerning photography amongst the general public.

Recently I stopped in the entrance to a field to photograph some horses. A Land Rover pulling a trailer of hay pulled up behind me and I rushed back to the car thinking I was blocking the farmer's access. "What's wrong with my horses?" he challenged. I replied that as far as I knew nothing was wrong with them. I was puzzled because they had a lovely large paddock with plenty of trees for shade if they wanted it, plenty of water and a generous amount of hay which they were happily munching. They were obviouly well cared for and in rude health.

"Oh, when I saw you photographing them I thought there must be something wrong and you were from the RSPCA," he explained. I offered to stop photographing them if he wished as I knew I was on private land but he said I was fine to carry on now that he knew there wasn't a problem. Just shows that many non-photographers assume there must always be an ulteria motive to photography and struggle with the concept that it can be just a harmless hobby.

The big challenge now is how do we educate Joe Public that we are not all spies, terrorists and paedophiles - or working for the RSPCA?

My original post was relevant, it was my experiences with the police. Then when I do reply (I admit with some time lag because I hadnt noticed the reply to my original post) I was attacked by a Troll. His post count does not discount him from making stupid and personal remarks. His original post was to intimidate and humiliate nothing less. The perfect defination of a troll.

If I am not allowed to defend myself why would I want to be a part of a community that actively encourages this sort of bullying? Pick on the new guy, thats all it is bullying, childish comments made to assault and not to contribute to the discussion. Yes I disagreed with the reply to my post but thats part of discussion. What Demilion said was an out and out attack and nothing more, I wouldnt mind but they where not even witty or fun. It would seem that there is no moderation on this forum either people are allowed to attack at will. On the other forums I frequent and moderate on, trolling would not be allowed.

Getting back on track, Goldenlight, you make a good point there. I think this has to do with the attitude of authority figures and the way they treat people. I have never come across your problem but have had many security guards decide that they own the pavement outside a building that they guard as I do a lot of street photography. There is definately a insecurity in society that manifests itself in many ways, unfortunately it is often used to lay suspicion on photographers.

My original post was relevant, it was my experiences with the police. Then when I do reply (I admit with some time lag because I hadnt noticed the reply to my original post) I was attacked by a Troll. His post count does not discount him from making stupid and personal remarks. His original post was to intimidate and humiliate nothing less. The perfect defination of a troll.

If I am not allowed to defend myself why would I want to be a part of a community that actively encourages this sort of bullying? Pick on the new guy, thats all it is bullying, childish comments made to assault and not to contribute to the discussion. Yes I disagreed with the reply to my post but thats part of discussion. What Demilion said was an out and out attack and nothing more, I wouldnt mind but they where not even witty or fun. It would seem that there is no moderation on this forum either people are allowed to attack at will. On the other forums I frequent and moderate on, trolling would not be allowed.

Getting back on track, Goldenlight, you make a good point there. I think this has to do with the attitude of authority figures and the way they treat people. I have never come across your problem but have had many security guards decide that they own the pavement outside a building that they guard as I do a lot of street photography. There is definately a insecurity in society that manifests itself in many ways, unfortunately it is often used to lay suspicion on photographers.

Dune, I never said your original post wasn't relevant. :) What followed, from both you and DemiLion was handbags at dawn. The truth seldom lays in extremes, but both of you have adopted extreme positions. Don't worry, that's par for the course on this forum and I must admit to getting hot under the collar myself sometimes, it seems to be what the general atmosphere here does to you. On the other hand, it does lead to lively debate, you can't say it is boring!

Regarding the situation to which you originally referred, I would guess there was maybe a bit of attitude from both you and the police. Depending on the situation I wouldn't say never to give the police some attitude but if you do it's not likely to be a pleasant confrontation. You have to expect that.

There have always been good and bad cops, it's nothing new and not exclusive to how they treat photographers. Going back nearly 40 years to when I was around 18 I remember being with a small group of friends when we were stopped by two policemen on our way home from the pub. They suspected us (wrongly) of petty vandalism and we got the good cop, bad cop routine. The good cop was polite and asking reasonable questions, which we were happy to answer. "Bad" cop aggressively denouned everything we said, liberally interlaced with the "F" and "B" words, which was completely unecessary. We sensed that even his colleague was getting irritated with him and eventually my friend, who was a little bolder than the rest of us, told good cop that we wouldn't answer anymore questions while bad cop was present. Good cop diplomatically suggested his colleague retired to a discreet distance and shortly afterwards the situation was amicably resolved.

That taught me at an early age that it is best to co-operate with the police who are generally reasonable people and essentially on our side. But if you do get a bad one with an attitude problem you don't have to take it, their powers are limited by law, after all.

Returning to the present, the general problems experienced by photographers, particularly in the Met area in recent years, I blame primarily on inept, stupid politicians rather than directly on the police who are, somewhat, caught in the middle. Many have plainly been a little too zealous in applying a pretty badly worded law and have badly mis-interpreted directives from senior officers and in these situations it is right that photographers have stood their ground and insisted upon their rights. Just let's not forget that extremes on both sides are bad.

Last edited:
Oh no Golden, the first paragraphs where not aimed at you, whatsoever. Thats why I used your name in the second half. Sorry if anything had been implied otherwise.

I wholey agree with you when you get good cop bad cop. I tend to get aggresive ones before I even get to talk to them. I am 6'5" build like a brick out house, shovels for hands with a crew cut. After spending many years practicing MMA and boxing my face is a little worse for wear. I am 45 this year so that will be the best part of 30 years. So very rarely do I get a sensible starter line, and generally they are aggressive from the out set, especially the security gurads. I think they have something to prove.

However Ive met a couple of coppers that have been friendly and have just been interested in the photography side of things and Ive spent a fair time talking through the process of digital. I remember one of my favorites which was during a foggy day a copper asking what there was to take photos of, look around I said it beautiful.

Last edited:
Oh how little you know. A smile can be as intimidating as any threat. Policing is not done by consent in this country it is at the whim of the Chief Constable. Look at the trouble motorists have in North Wales.

Yes I was guilty of doing what the law of the country says I am allowed to do take photos. All you have to do is look at the videos on utube of the hassesment of amature and professional photograhers. Why do you think that these threads are so large with examples of people being harrased by coppers. Why do we get hundereds of people marching in london to complain about the coppers. I may be asinine but your just an ass if you dont beleive this happens. I really do think that some police decide to have 'sum fun' and flex their muscles when they are bored.

I never said these things don't happen, but if they always happen to you something is wrong. Policing IS by consent. I get the feeling you could fall out with someone in an empty room. Blame bad aggressive Police officers, or officers who talk to you, blame Chief Constables, people who smile at you, people who post on the internet, clearly it's all everyone else. Don't think to look at yourself. The relevance to this thread is I can see how easily these things become adversarial. Do the Police always behave impeccably? Clearly not. However the flip side to that is How do I behave? It's always easier to blame others.

Get some sleep guys and chill a bit

Thats the trouble with these inter-web forum thingys isn't it? You cant thump people that disagree with you!:nuts:

I see Security Guards to obtain more powers... thin end of the cheap policing wedge?

I wonder what extra training they're getting?

Is this another initiative of the Big Society? You know, the policy of sacking those with jobs so that others can be asked to do the work for free.

Another example of the Looney Right if you ask me.

I don't actually have too much of a problem with giving appropriately trained staff additional powers where I do have a major problem with this sort of thing is accountability. Mind you I don't believe the police are really held accountable for a lot of there actions.

Mind you I don't believe the police are really held accountable for a lot of there actions.
It seems a common misconception that the Police get away with all sorts of bad even criminal behaviour without being held to account. I disagree, & believe Police complaints authority thoroughly investigate such allegations. The fact they dont (cant) pursue all complaints to the satisfaction of the 'complainer' is only the same as normal courts. Of course you would expect officers to have a good legal knowledge so to know how to make an investigation difficult - to be a slippery customer. Guilty people escape prosecution all the time - some are Police officers. Officers under investigation are held to account far more for their action than others for their short comings at their work.

It seems a common misconception that the Police get away with all sorts of bad even criminal behaviour without being held to account. I disagree, & believe Police complaints authority thoroughly investigate such allegations. The fact they dont (cant) pursue all complaints to the satisfaction of the 'complainer' is only the same as normal courts. Of course you would expect officers to have a good legal knowledge so to know how to make an investigation difficult - to be a slippery customer. Guilty people escape prosecution all the time - some are Police officers. Officers under investigation are held to account far more for their action than others for their short comings at their work.

In many ways this is precisely why the use of private security guards to do a policeman's job is so worrying, to whom will they be accountable if there is cause for complaint?

to whom will they be accountable if there is cause for complaint?

Well i'm a head ranger and if I do something that upsets a member of the public I'm accountable to my boss, if my team do they are accountable to me - I guess thats probably true of all private and third sector organisations.

If a security guard breaks the law (such as assualting a photographer or taking/breaking their gear) they are also accountable to the police and to civil litigation.

At the end of the day just as 99.9% of photographers are harmless and given a bad name by the very few who are up to no good, so the vast majority of security guards, rangers, wardens etc are perfectly nice hard working people who just want to get the job done with the minimum of agravation - but unfortunately they are given a bad name by the very few power hungry pocket hitlers who probably became security guards because they like the uniform and machismo but couldnt hack it in a real disciplined service.

Last edited:
Well i'm a head ranger and if I do something that upsets a member of the public I'm accountable to my boss, if my team do they are accountable to me - I guess thats probably true of all private and third sector organisations.

If a security guard breaks the law (such as assualting a photographer or taking/breaking their gear) they are also accountable to the police and to civil litigation.

At the end of the day just as 99.9% of photographers are harmless and given a bad name by the very few who are up to no good, so the vast majority of security guards, rangers, wardens etc are perfectly nice hard working people who just want to get the job done with the minimum of agravation - but unfortunately they are given a bad name by the very few power hungry pocket hitlers who probably became security guards because they like the uniform and machismo but couldnt hack it in a real disciplined service.

The clue is in your last phrase, "a real disciplined service." Some private security firms will have high standards, others may not. Where's the consistancy and how will this be regulated - without complainants having to commence private (and expensive) litigation?

I'm sure that the police, security guards, rangers, wardens, store detectives, night club bouncers and anyone else in a position of authority all have different job descriptions. For instance, with the police their priority will be with protecting the public and maintaining law and order. The main priority of a security guard is to protect the building he is assigned to. That's a big difference and I assume it would be reflected in the type of training each receives.

Sure, there may be some overlap, for instance the police are also responsible for protecting the property that the security company is guarding. However, a butcher and a surgeon are both handy with a knife, but I know which one I'd rather entrust to perform my operation! :D

On reflection I wish I hadn't used that last comparison, it may give yet more "money saving" ideas to the Loony Right! :eek:

However, a butcher and a surgeon are both handy with a knife, but I know which one I'd rather entrust to perform my operation! :D

There was a time when they were one and the same, hence why surgeons are now called Mr/Mrs/Miss rather than Doctor. ;)

Back