Beginner I am spending too much time deciding! - Please help!

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
I am planning to upgrade to a DSLR from my bridge camera.
I will have a limited budget, so will be getting a kit with a kit lens for now.
My main gripe with my current camera is the low light performance and the poor autofocusing.

I've narrowed it down to a small list.
Nikon D3200
Nikon D3300 *
Nikon D3400

Nikon D5200
Nikon D5300
Nikon D5500 *
*Best high ISO performance ratings.

My main questions are, will I notice much difference between the low-light performance of these cameras, or are the ratings/performance close enough for it to not matter.
Will the different AF systems and extra focus and cross-focus points on the D5xxx range be as big a benefit as I think they are.

To a lesser extent, I would also like to know if the lack of a low pass filter on the newer models make a big difference?

Answers to these questions will help me decide whether it's worth spending the extra money for the newer models and whether I need the D5xxx range over the D3xxx range.

Thank you!

ISO - not much difference, all will be miles better than the bridge camera
AF - yes, worth getting the better AF system if you think you'll need it but all will be miles better than the bridge camera
OLF - bugger all difference in reality

But personally I would go for a D7000.

ISO - not much difference, all will be miles better than the bridge camera
AF - yes, worth getting the better AF system if you think you'll need it but all will be miles better than the bridge camera
OLF - bugger all difference in reality

But personally I would go for a D7000.
Thanks man, I did have a feeling I was getting a bit too drawn in by numbers. Any particular reason you would go for the D7000 over the newer models from these ranges?

Thanks man, I did have a feeling I was getting a bit too drawn in by numbers. Any particular reason you would go for the D7000 over the newer models from these ranges?
I've got one, and it's a great camera.it doesn't have WiFi etc, and it's only 16mp, but it was classed as a semi pro camera. Solid build, good control layout etc.
You can get good used ones for £250-£350
I bought one on here with 1500 clicks on the shutter and a kit lens for £300.
Didn't need to kit lens so sold it on for £100 meaning the body cost me £200.
Absolute steal at that price.

I've got one, and it's a great camera.it doesn't have WiFi etc, and it's only 16mp, but it was classed as a semi pro camera. Solid build, good control layout etc.
You can get good used ones for £250-£350
I bought one on here with 1500 clicks on the shutter and a kit lens for £300.
Didn't need to kit lens so sold it on for £100 meaning the body cost me £200.
Absolute steal at that price.
Nice, I will look into those. I'll have a search through some shots taken with them on flikr too :)

I used to own a D7000 and D5500.

The D7000 is a much superior camera.

But the D5500 image quality is noticeably superior and was noticeably better at high ISO`s.

Funny enough I love my D300 more than either of them lol, stopped caring about iso and megapixels so much

I've got a D3200 and it's a great camera that can produce superb results, but one thing I definitely miss (and which the D7000 has), is an internal autofocus motor. Having the internal motor means you have access to a much wider range of older (but very good) lenses, as well as the modern lenses with AF motors fitted in the lens. You can still use non-motorised lenses on a camera without an internal motor, but they will be manual focus only. I'm not suggesting that this is a deal-breaker, but it's something to consider.

Micro adjustment of lenses also on the D7000 might be useful at some point plus the 3*** series doesnt have bracketing which again might be useful on the 7***

Yeah, the new sensors are undoubtedly better but the D7000 is just more of a tool and the 16mp sensor is still very good and miiiiiiles better than your bridge camera so that's why I would go that way.

You could always look at the D7100 or D7200 if you wanted a newer sensor although that stretches the budget a little; that's one of the nice things about the D7000, they cost peanuts which will leave money for lenses.

I go for D7*** range, i use to hve one when I still shooting Nikon. ISO performance is good and is miles better then your bridge camera. AF is fast enough for pretty much most things and the build quality is miles better then the D3*** and D5*** range. It can do video as well.

I used to own a D7000 and D5500.

The D7000 is a much superior camera.

But the D5500 image quality is noticeably superior and was noticeably better at high ISO`s.

Funny enough I love my D300 more than either of them lol, stopped caring about iso and megapixels so much
I've got a D3200 and it's a great camera that can produce superb results, but one thing I definitely miss (and which the D7000 has), is an internal autofocus motor. Having the internal motor means you have access to a much wider range of older (but very good) lenses, as well as the modern lenses with AF motors fitted in the lens. You can still use non-motorised lenses on a camera without an internal motor, but they will be manual focus only. I'm not suggesting that this is a deal-breaker, but it's something to consider.
Micro adjustment of lenses also on the D7000 might be useful at some point plus the 3*** series doesnt have bracketing which again might be useful on the 7***
Yeah, the new sensors are undoubtedly better but the D7000 is just more of a tool and the 16mp sensor is still very good and miiiiiiles better than your bridge camera so that's why I would go that way.

You could always look at the D7100 or D7200 if you wanted a newer sensor although that stretches the budget a little; that's one of the nice things about the D7000, they cost peanuts which will leave money for lenses.
I go for D7*** range, i use to hve one when I still shooting Nikon. ISO performance is good and is miles better then your bridge camera. AF is fast enough for pretty much most things and the build quality is miles better then the D3*** and D5*** range. It can do video as well.
Another vote for D7000 too. :)
I've been taking a lot of time looking again last night, I've actually decided to go with the d5100 because of the price. It will give me a chance to practice with interchangeable lenses and decide what I need. Because of how cheap it will be to pick one up it will also give me time to save up for one of the newer d7xxx range cameras if I decide thats what I want while still giving very good low light performance. At the moment, manual focusing on older lenses isn't a deal breaker for me, rather than an opportunity to see if I like having the control myself.
Thank you so much for the opinions and advice from everyone, it has definitely stopped me being dazzled by the numbers.

I started out on my return to photography with a d5100 and it was perfectly fine for my needs for a good few years - I sold it last year and lost £100 (it was in very good nick though), so it basically cost me £25 per year, which I consider to be good value!

I'm sure you'll find it a very capable camera

I've been taking a lot of time looking again last night, I've actually decided to go with the d5100 because of the price. It will give me a chance to practice with interchangeable lenses and decide what I need. Because of how cheap it will be to pick one up it will also give me time to save up for one of the newer d7xxx range cameras if I decide thats what I want while still giving very good low light performance. At the moment, manual focusing on older lenses isn't a deal breaker for me, rather than an opportunity to see if I like having the control myself.
Thank you so much for the opinions and advice from everyone, it has definitely stopped me being dazzled by the numbers.

I'm sure you'll get great photos with the D5100. To be honest, pretty much any modern DSLR will be capable of outstanding results. There will be some differences in dynamic range, low-light capability, auto-focus and metering capability etc. between models, but on the whole they'll all perform well, to the extent that it's often a case of which one feels best in your hand that can be the deciding factor.

The main component in getting good photos is the person using the camera. As long as you have a decent grasp of composition and light, then pretty much anything that takes a photo will be able to give you an attractive result, it's just that some cameras will make it easier to do so.

Last edited:
helios m44-2 58mm lens
Is that a screw fitting lens? How is it going to fit on a Nikon? Anyhow, you could practice manual focus with the kit lens by turning autofocus off (I guess the D5100 can turn it off).

I've bought a helios m44-2 58mm lens with adapter to play around with and practice manual focus when the camera turns up too
Sorry but IMHO this is about as stupid an introduction to a modern interchangeable lens camera as its possible to make.

I shot manual only cameras for years, and I could do it again tomorrow and bring home a roll of keepers. But I wouldn't choose to, this is akin to buying a new Ford Fiesta and asking the garage to set it up so it feels like a 70's mini.

Sorry but IMHO this is about as stupid an introduction to a modern interchangeable lens camera as its possible to make.

I shot manual only cameras for years, and I could do it again tomorrow and bring home a roll of keepers. But I wouldn't choose to, this is akin to buying a new Ford Fiesta and asking the garage to set it up so it feels like a 70's mini.
It is not the only lens that I am getting for the camera, it is just a lens to play around with because it has a fun bokeh effect, it's nothing serious.

The 50mm 1.8g prime is good.
This is on an almost 10 year old d300.
uiuiuiui-5_zpsbfw2jizh.jpg

uiuiuiui-8_zpsrbldlg3z.jpg

We are not allowed to mention Nikons that might be for sale because the mods see it as inviting deals through PM`s so I cant help you lol.

The D5100 was my second Nikon after the D3100. I had it a year before going to the D7100, Enjoyed all three cameras, and probably looking back the d5100 was the important step to getting more enjoyable pictures. Good luck with your buying.

Out of interest, why Nikon particularly?

Also have you handled the 3XXX and 5XXX series cameras yet? In my hands they are too small, fiddly and cramped feeling, with dim viewfinders. When I first bought a DSLR I tried the D3200, also my brother has a 5500, and I don't like the handling at all. I ended up buying a Sony a58, which is still a great lightweight camera for travelling, because it handled better. I shoot Nikon FX now, but still prefer many aspects of the Sony camera system (better lens mount, better menu system).

Out of interest, why Nikon particularly?

Also have you handled the 3XXX and 5XXX series cameras yet? In my hands they are too small, fiddly and cramped feeling, with dim viewfinders. When I first bought a DSLR I tried the D3200, also my brother has a 5500, and I don't like the handling at all. I ended up buying a Sony a58, which is still a great lightweight camera for travelling, because it handled better. I shoot Nikon FX now, but still prefer many aspects of the Sony camera system (better lens mount, better menu system).
I have held the d5300 and d3400 in currys and found them very comfortable.
The low light performance was a big sell for me too, and the Sony lenses are more expensive.

not sure about the buttons but the size of the Sony A58 and Nikon D5100 are virtually identical.buttons might be different though but thats a personal things personally found the Nikon comfortable too.

not sure about the buttons but the size of the Sony A58 and Nikon D5100 are virtually identical.buttons might be different though but thats a personal things personally found the Nikon comfortable too.

I've never handled a 5100, but the 5500 feels like a toy in my hands, even compared with the Oly E-M10. I think it's a combination of ergonomics and button placement.

I have held the d5300 and d3400 in currys and found them very comfortable.
The low light performance was a big sell for me too, and the Sony lenses are more expensive.

Not *all* Sony lenses are more expensive, especially used (paid just over £100 for my Sony 50 f1.4) but even new, some of the A mount lenses are actually quite a bit cheaper than the Nikon equivalents: Sony 35mm f1.8 available at £128.99 vs Nikon 35 f1.8 at £159, Sony 30mm f2.8 macro £99Nikon 40mm f2.8 macro £209 (prices from camera price buster). Many of the older Minolta optics are also excellent lenses, and are available for significantly less than their Nikon equivalents, AND all the Sony DSLRs have a motor in the body so you get autofocus with even the entry level bodies. TBH having moved to Nikon FX, I've been surprised at how much better minolta consumer optics seemed to be than the equivalent Nikon versions (there are exceptions - mino 28-80 and 28-100 are terrible).

While I really like the image quality the D610 lets me achieve, I only use Nikon because I was able to trade a guitar for the D610 - if it had been cash then I'd have bought Sony full frame. I'm not a fanboy - just familiar with both systems.

Back