I bought some onions!

I'm sorry - i think you'll find I paid in full at the checkout. (as explained in original post) I then went to customer services, upon noticing the mistake. (to get the refund owed to me as per their T&C.)

No theft.
No deception.

What's keeping an accidental delivery got to do with it? Nothing was delivered????

I'm sorry - i think you'll find I paid in full at the checkout. (as explained in original post) I then went to customer services, upon noticing the mistake. (to get the refund owed to me as per their T&C.)

No theft.
No deception.

What's keeping an accidental delivery got to do with it? Nothing was delivered????

I was merely highlighting the immorality in both scenarios, and hoping to point out the number of people that were not fond of the idea of nicking an accidental delivery, yet not bat an eyelid at someone ripping off a grands worth of wine.

Thank you for apologising though. Might be worth directing it at the Manager you got shirty with for correctly identifying the fact that you were taking them for a ride.

According to your OP, you didn't go to customer services upon noticing the mistake. According to your post the first thing you did was go out to the car to dump your shopping, followed by re-entering the store and buying as much wine as you could carry, knowing full well that either the label or the till was priced incorrectly, and you could therefore deceive the store out of a lot of money.

Edited to add: I will accept that wasn't theft, but it is incredibly immoral.

Last edited:
about as immoral as it is for Tesco's to offer £9.99 for £4.99 and not honouring it as the till. I wonder how many people spent a load on a shopping trolleys worth and didn't notice that extra £5 in there.

It is a common well known fact that a lot of large retailers "accidentally" forget to change the till prices, and occasionally someone will spot it, but for the double the difference of those who don't they make a lot of "bad profit's" from those who don't.

I reiterate, I did not deceive anybody at any time. TO deceive is to intentionally pretend something is something it is not. Before you go accusing me of theft, deception etc, may I suggest that you look up, digest and understand the definitions of these words.

Everything I did was within consumer law and Tesco's specific terms and conditions / "customer charter" to rectify mistakes in store.

By tghe way I wasn't apologising per se for my actions. My "I'm sorry" was an oops, I think I made it perfectly clear I paid in full at the checkout for the goods.

Thereby for you to accuse me of being a thief, I find most insulting.

As an aside, even though the wine is marked up at half price - it's not really....... small * and "The higher price has been charged in x of our stores between x of this and y of that" - that way, they can legally advertise it at being half price, but you're not getting £10 of wine for £5. It's a marketing ploy and something of a bit of a grey area ethically and morally.

I'll leave you to your consumer driven sheepwalking though, and if you're happy to pay over the odds and be taken for a ride, then fair play to you. I though will remain, to do as I see fit, where it remains legal.

Distill it down. Large multinational that year on year announces record profits of several billion, gets outwitted by a guy who is observant and not afraid to stick his head above the parapet.

If it's any consolation i added 4p and donated a £1 to the girl on the door with a charity bucket.......... :shrug:

I reiterate, I did not deceive anybody at any time. TO deceive is to intentionally pretend something is something it is not.
[Manager:]"But you must have known at the point of purchase you were overcharged?"

"no, I was thinking about something else, and it wasn't until i left the till, I realised I had been overcharged, but the lady was checking someone else out by the time I realised, so I thought C Service could help!" (Complete BS!)

:thinking:

So how many bottles are left, or have they all been used over the festive season. (y)

FWIW I probably would have done the same, only I don't shop at Tesco's.

It's Tesco (not Tesco's) :)

oh I have had tesco's pay me to take wine off their shelves...............

Here's the little known top tip

1) quite ofter they have special half price offers
2) quite often when you go through the till it doesn't register as half price........

here's where it get's cunning.......

If you complain at the till, they correct it, no questions asked

However, pay in full, don't say a thing.

Go to the customer services desk, on the wall near there, there is a big T&C poster, near the bottom it says words to the effect of "should the shelf price and the till price be different, we'll refund you double the difference.........no questions asked, etc etc...."

so I bought a bottle of wine, on "offer" £4.99 instead of £9.99, went through the till at £9.99, didn't bat an eyelid, didn't go to C services. Went and put it in my car.

Went back in, with a trolley and stacked it high of the aforementioned wine. Paid in full at the checkout. 8 full cases. 96 bottles.

Then went to have a chat with customer services.

They got a bit wussy and ended up with the store manager there, who accused me of taking advantage of them. :shrug:

Red rag and bull soon entered the conversation, and the volume increased. Lets call your area manager or trading standards? Look it's there on the wall, and nowhere does it say, I may not buy 96 bottles of wine in 1 transaction. It's not my fault your till doesn't work properly.

"But you must have known at the point of purchase you were overcharged?"

"no, I was thinking about something else, and it wasn't until i left the till, I realised I had been overcharged, but the lady was checking someone else out by the time I realised, so I thought C Service could help!" (Complete BS!)

However the writing was on the wall so to speak, and nothing they could do about it at all........

So, Tesco's effectively paid me 96p for relieving them of 96 bottles of wine.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Got an interesting deal in Tesco the other day. 10 pack of Quavers for £2.54 or buy 2 for £2.50! so saved myself 4p by buying an extra bag!

I think the OP got charged more for buying loose ones. Correct me if I'm wrong obviously.

Supermarkets are crafty and manipulative, they try and catch you out all the time. It's a shame we're all so dependent on them these days.

It's Tesco (not Tesco's) :)

Surely the shop itself it Tesco, but according to grammar, when I go to a shop that its owned by Tesco, it is "the shop owned by Tesco", or Tesco's?

Anyhow, award yourself 5 "pedant points" and a pat on the back. (y)

Back