I can’t...

Name
martin
Edit My Images
No
drop my camera - photos update

I’m planning a shoot where I take shots of a charity abseil from a 10 story building :eek: – I’m planning on being on the top and my wife at ground level with a 1d +300mm.

Now I plan to get some close and wide shots as the people edge over the top (to show the height + view) but then further shots as they are further down the building looking up.

I want to make sure that I really really cannot drop anything – even my glasses / hat /lens cap etc. as this could cause a big problem to the person on the rope!!
The biggest problem is the camera (s) as I would like to use two (1ds +24-105mm +flash) + (1d +70-200mm with 1.4x extender) but will use just one if I cannot work this out.

I was thinking of using a lowepro rucksack and use karabiners to attach the camera straps to that so that if I drop the camera it cant go far – I was thinking of using gaffa tape on the eyepiece / hood etc – but this will still making swapping the cameras difficult – and yes if they give me a harness/rope I will lean over the edge (but will need to wear a nappy as I hate heights!!!!:baby:)

Any thoughts…

I think the carabiner idea is a good one. I presume you wont be using a tripod so you could work out some extra failsafe attachment using the tripod mount perhaps, grab yourself some 1/4" bolts and bolt a chain to your camera.
And defo get a harness, you're going to be leaning over the edge of a building if you want to shoot the people on the wall below :O

I assume that you have some experts setting this up :D. They must have had experiance of people photographing these events. I would ask them and then go along with what ever they say. If you turn up with some home made rig they may very well not be happy :thumbsdown:

I've had quite a lot of experience of working at heights with a camera, and I've never used anything other than an Optech strap round my neck. If you're careful, a standard strap is fine. However, for safety (probably not a bad idea if you're leaning over an edge) then some decent nylon cord would be useful. Go to a climbing/outdoor shop and buy a few meters of 3mm cord. You can use this to tie your camera to a rucksack strap.

Some bags have loops on the shoulder straps where you can clip karabiners - this way you could do what you said and clip the camera strap into one of both of them.

Thanks for the answers
just so there is no misunderstanding nothing that will be home made will be used for my safety.
i was thinking of attaching the camera kit to a lowepro rucksack that i will be wearing.

i dont normally use a neckstrap as i have a bad neck.

I will follow any advice from the safety people, but don't plan to add any of my kit to thiers to ensure that it does not interfere with the operation of the safety kit they supply.

any more thoughts ideas guys?

HIMUPNORTH would be a good bet to ask since he regularly flys with his gear.

I can’t drop my camera update

After taping the eyepiece and lens hood with black electrical tape I decided to use a lowepro S&F jacket I had and attach everything to that using karabiners from a climbing shop. In addition to attaching the camera strap to the jacket I used thin climbing cord (attached to the third camera strap point on the canon 1d camera’s) to create a failsafe and attach the lens and camera to the belt part of the S&F jacket – if the main strap broke the second would stop my camera killing someone below.
Flash power pack and spare camera batteries in additional pouches attached to the jacket and I was ready for the shoot. I was using two camera bodies’ one with 24-105mm the other with 70-200mm with 1.4 x converter. Looking back a 16-35mm would have been better (if I had one), as the light was poor and wide angle was the way to go with many of the shots.

Ok so this was the building – 10-11 storeys high,

001E24W6769.jpg

but when I got to the top via the lift I then went out to see this view

002E24W6775.jpg

but was faced with a short climb with my gear attached to me forcing me to lean back, and with the rain on the ladder I slipped and lost my nerve, but thought I had to do this so made myself climb (did I mention I did not like heights? – too late!!)
003E24W6777.jpg

the view from the top was great, but I was staying well away from the edge till the guys sorted out the harness for me.
004E24W6800.jpg

I gained confidence and edged closer to the edge as the fundraisers put their lives in the hands of the safety people -as I did…
005E24W6964.jpg

006E24W7065.jpg

Changing positions I got some side on shots from the fire escape (just as scary for me)
007A5CE1505.jpg

008A5CE1603.jpg

Whilst my wife – Liz covered the shots from below – not easy looking up into the rain and trying to get clear shots…
009D9CA3530.jpg

This last shot shows how close I was to the edge – should have done more shots from this angle – oh well next time….

0010E24W7137.jpg

More photos on my website

Back