I don't know why I'm a photographer

:D So you decided to spout your opinion even though your actually really bored of the subject

Yup that's right I decided to "spout my opinion". How dare I :).

yet you still don't believe that your personal creativity can only be an extension of you

I don't see what you're saying here? I totally agree that personal creativity is apparent in an image if that's what you mean. I just find the "image reflects your soul" thing a bit contrived, clichéd and cheesy. It wasn't meant as an offensive comment and I agree with your sentiment I just don't like the metaphor. I was only offering advice and I doubted that Pete wants to sound clichéd or cheesy in interviews. Anyways............moving on....

"I have been a witness, and these pictures are my testimony. The events I have recorded should not be forgotten "

I like that.

I think it's because all around us everything is changing and should be recorded. Everyone likes to look at how things used to be, Liverpool is changing heavily as is where I live, which is why I've started to document where I live.

I realised, too late this year, that things are now missing. We used to have several murals on the walls for instance.

I guess theres no easy way. To some I may sound egotistical, to others pretentious and maybe to others down to earth. I just don't wanna sound stupid and I don't want to disrespect the city thats inspired me so much. This is live radio!

I guess theres no easy way. To some I may sound egotistical, to others pretentious and maybe to others down to earth. I just don't wanna sound stupid and I don't want to disrespect the city thats inspired me so much. This is live radio!

Your just an Elitist Gobsh;te ;)

Those were the days Pete :LOL:

I presume its the 5-7pm show during the late night biennial thing tomorrow.
With Clare.
So 3rd question for you.
With so much that has happened during the coc this year how can you continue to be inspired when not as many events will be happening during 2009. ???

If the light is so good how come everyone wants to adopt a photoshop adulterate attitude ?

pace
wirral stalker

Its the late show at 11pm on BBC Radio Merseyside. Somewhere between 11pm and 11:30pm. Lots of things have happened during 08, its been amazing. The council has a lot of pressure to make 09 just as good. I can't see that happening but thats not to say there won't be anything to photograph. The sun will still rise, fashion and music will change a bit. New buildings will start to go up. Basically it'll be 2009, just a date. I'm 100% sure I could go out tomorrow and photograph something well in Liverpool and I'm 100% sure I'll have lots to photograph in 2009.

Light is great, but cameras are limited.

I'll be there. f/1.8 + iso1600. Oh how I wish my 5dm2 had shipped.

There is a secret to always answering a question with a winning answer. Politicians do this perfectly and that is to ask another question. If asked then ask why the beatles were musicians, hopefully the interviewer will respond by saying because they were great singers, you can then ask if the interviewer thinks your photographs are great, if he says yes, then ask him if he thinks Liverpool is a great city to take photographs in, he will say yes again lol

O rly? Do you think thats a good idea to turn psychologist on the interviewer? "What inspires you about Liverpool? What inspires *you* about it? The people. The people, interesting. Are you making notes? Am I making notes? You seem to be. Oh, well tell me about your childhood..."

I dont see you getting a word in with Linda tomorrow night , she lives somewhere near you has grown up in the area , knows a lot about the history of both sides of the river and is one of the better broadcasters on tin pot local radio Manchester (liverpool opt out service).
4th question then
What has been your personal capture this year and how long did it take to vision.
5th What has been a dissapointment photographically for you this year.?
6th If you where put in somewhere like manchester do you think you could replicate your passion or are the images a reflection of the local people.?

Pete - you are a Photographer because it's what you are; cyclists cycle; walkers walk; painters paint; politicians talk... well you get the idea

You photograph Liverpool because you love the place & because you're part of it - it's a dynamic place that could be shown as a crap place to be & live, but it needs & deserves to be shown in its true & beautiful light. You create great images of a great place - end of

Good luck

DD

maybe don't go that far Pete lol.

I have worked along side both local and national reporters, my wife is a national newspaper sub editor so I have first hand knowledge and strangely enough they are all the same as you and me lol

Read what I have suggested - if you say I am a great photographer and Liverpool is the greatest city to take photographs how will you sound? But if you get the same said by the reporter you will have just created great PR for yourself

Is there a much shallower reason for it? Is it the feedback or the plaudits that you seek? Is it the attention through your images that you crave? :shrug:

I've considered the same Q and while they may not be the best answers for a radio interview, if I'm honest with myself then I can't deny that there is an element of this in my photography.

Of course you could always just say that you don't know. Leave it open and say "ask again in 40 years..." or something ;)

I dont see you getting a word in with Linda tomorrow night , she lives somewhere near you has grown up in the area , knows a lot about the history of both sides of the river and is one of the better broadcasters on tin pot local radio Manchester (liverpool opt out service).

Oh well :D TBH I don't know a a lot of the history of Liverpool. In some ways my photography is a documentary on my discovery of the city. While I've been coming here all my life its only in the past 5 years that I've actually taken a real interest in the city. I didn't know half the road names I should have while I studied there. So there is a good chance I'll get whipped on local knowledge. Oh boy, live radio. Fun :D

4th question then
What has been your personal capture this year and how long did it take to vision.

Most of my photos are simply taken while I was there. I don't really put a lot of planning into things. Turn up and photograph what happens. La Machine has to be one of the highlights. Never seen anything like it and it was insane to see and photograph.

5th What has been a dissapointment photographically for you this year.?

Hard to answer that. I don't think anything has really been a let down. The weather has sometimes put a dampner on some events but thats just made the photos more interesting to look at. Like the other week when Liverpool 1 opened and we had torrential rain. I got one of my favourite images of some girls laughing and jumping around in it.

6th If you where put in somewhere like manchester do you think you could replicate your passion or are the images a reflection of the local people.?

Not right away. Of course I could drive around and find nice buildings to photograph but it would take me a while to really understand Manchester. I don't know the key places to go, the key buildings and landscapes to photograph. I don't know where their Bold Street is, or their **. I spent 3 weeks in Toronto a few years ago and thankfully my guide pointed out a few of these areas. I got some photos of the skyscrappers, the skyline, some of the people in the area and such but I only spent 3 weeks there. I was a tourist. It would take me years, as it has with Liverpool, to get a handle on things.

You photograph Liverpool because you love the place & because you're part of it - it's a dynamic place that could be shown as a crap place to be & live, but it needs & deserves to be shown in its true & beautiful light. You create great images of a great place - end of

Thanks :) Honestly though I want to document the more interesting areas. I've done the city center well enough and I feel that I need to show the other areas. Cross the road from the cathedral and its a shocker. I'm not talking about dramatic picturesque HDR, simply documenting the reality. Though it scares me a little because I'm not familiar with the area and I mean would you document your own street?

Is there a much shallower reason for it? Is it the feedback or the plaudits that you seek? Is it the attention through your images that you crave? :shrug:

I would hope its not. Like I said, something drove me to go out in the heavy rain and sleet yesterday to photograph the newly opened canal link. Was it for fame? To be the first to do so? No, I don't think so. I left the slot open on my daily photoblog for that image because I knew it was a big change for Liverpool and I wanted to show people what it was like as soon as I could.

My wife told me a shocking tale only yesterday about Liverpool

She had been talking to a lady on her train who had moved away from Liverpool due to its reputation. It seems even on holiday this lady and her family had been discriminated against due to their accent - meaning they were 'scum' or 'criminals' as she put it

Thing is, she's wealthy and has always lived in Liverpool in a huge & wealthy household - but now lives in a wealthy area of Leeds without the stigma

Has the media 'killed' Liverpool in others' eyes? From her experience it seems so - so even where there are tough areas Pete - recording them properly, rather than the obvious stereotype, has got to be a good thing

All cities have their crap areas, most have some great ones too - Liverpool (due to your work) seems to have many great areas - so record them, and the crap bits too but in a good light wherever possible

You're on a 'mission'

Jamie Oliver has done it for the common-man's food - YOU do it for Liverpool !!!

(y)

DD

I take photographs because I cant paint, and I want to show others what I see, and what I love to see.

I take pictures of Liverpool because it has an atmoshpere, a feeling that I have yet to see anywhere else that I have been to, and if my pictures can show one person that has never been there, something that could make them want to visit, then my photographs have served a purpose other than to give me memories of something I love.

I definitely think theres a lot of stereotypes about Liverpool. Its like 20 years later and whenever you mention Scouser people act like Harry Enfield. Theres the classic joke of your car ending up on bricks, which is really really old. Though I did find Jimmy Carr's joke about finding his car up on books during the culture year quite funny. You really can't escape the accent.

But anyway, I think my answer is simply that Liverpool is such an amazing place that it continues to inspire me on a daily basis. There isn't a really one single thing that jumps out. Its all about being there and seeing what happens and the city is just so great that there is always something to photograph, every time I go.

Thanks :) Honestly though I want to document the more interesting areas. I've done the city center well enough and I feel that I need to show the other areas. Cross the road from the cathedral and its a shocker. I'm not talking about dramatic picturesque HDR, simply documenting the reality. Though it scares me a little because I'm not familiar with the area and I mean would you document your own street?

You could always ask one of the Scousers on the forum to help you see and understand more about the city. I'm not sure, but I can't be the only one who has lived in Liverpool for more than forty years and was there for the golden decades from the release of Please Please Me to the retirement of Bob Paisley. I'd be happy to do it, but I guess I'm not your ideal choice.

I'll give you a tenner if you give the following answers.

"Why did you choose Liverpool to photograph and not Chester?"

"Bandwagon Jumping..all this Capital of Culture malarky...there's cash to be 'ad love, and I want a slice of that pie. Everyone else is doing it anyway, so I'm hoppin on board this gravy train and gettin me a ride!"

Dare ya, go on.

You could always ask one of the Scousers on the forum to help you see and understand more about the city. I'm not sure, but I can't be the only one who has lived in Liverpool for more than forty years and was there for the golden decades from the release of Please Please Me to the retirement of Bob Paisley. I'd be happy to do it, but I guess I'm not your ideal choice.

I prefer to learn by doing. I'd prefer to explore on my own.

I'll give you a tenner if you give the following answers.

"Why did you choose Liverpool to photograph and not Chester?"

"Bandwagon Jumping..all this Capital of Culture malarky...there's cash to be 'ad love, and I want a slice of that pie. Everyone else is doing it anyway, so I'm hoppin on board this gravy train and gettin me a ride!"

Dare ya, go on.

haha, well the thought did cross my mind that thats why I do it. Just for a second. It really isn't why I do it. Liverpool is changing so fast. Photos I have from 2 years ago show the changes and thats one of the reasons why I do it. The photo on the book cover is my favourite photo because that view has gone. The odds of me getting that photo again were quite slim before but now its non-existant and in that respect its a very important photo.

Pete - I think a read through the answers you have been given on here will have provided you all the answers you need Pete.

Besides, you photograph Liverpool simply because of the combination that you love photography and you love Liverpool. It's a challenge that affords millions of ample opportunities daily to photograph its people and places, and you have only managed to capture the tiniest % of these - meaning there's always going to be people and places to photograph.

Does there have to be a reason...? Why does Clare present on the 11:00 Late Show on BBC Merseyside - I suspect for a number of reasons, but probably also quite simply because she loves so doing. Simple as that. You photograph the people and places of Liverpool because you love so doing.

:D Done. The funny thing about these 2 interviews is that i had no time to think. So whatever I said was pretty much what I felt. I still dropped a comment about the light in there but she asked if its important :) Last night was really weird. It wasn't a 1-1 it was a group discussion. Essentially like going to someones house for a chat with their mates. One of them being the famous hairdresser Herbet who asked for a signed copy. But it was a good laugh. I really enjoyed it. I tried not to be too technical but HDR isn't a walk in the park. I didn't go on about dynamic range and contrast ratios though :D

Back