? i feel stupid asking it....lol

jolsterj

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a laptop which works on the internet wirelessly.

I want to buy my son a desktop.

Can I run both wirelessly and pay no more money?

Please be gentle with your answe and not call me stupid.ha ha

yes no probs. I run 2 desk tops & my lappy off my router ..

Yes you can. Although, you will need to ensure you have a relatively fast broadband connection to not notice two computes using your connection simultaneously. For most uses a 2-4mb connection will suffice.

cool thanks for the quick reply. Is it easy to set up?

yes from the back of the router there are usually 4 slots, plug a lan lead (blue normally) into the back of the desktop ..

thats it ...:woot::woot:

I have this awful feeling that the OP may mean he connects to the internet using a usb wireless/modem stick thingy. In which case, all the above answers are null and void.

Jolstrj - exactly how do you connect to the Internet? Does your laptop connect with a wifi modem/router? Or do you have a wireless usb dongle such as this?

I have 5 P C and 2 Laptop that run of the same route cost no more just same one has to be connected by wire the others bye wireless hope this help

I have this awful feeling that the OP may mean he connects to the internet using a usb wireless/modem stick thingy. In which case, all the above answers are null and void.

Jolstrj - exactly how do you connect to the Internet? Does your laptop connect with a wifi modem/router? Or do you have a wireless usb dongle such as this?

I have a wifi router.

[and im a she lol]

Hadn't thought about it till now, but yesterday we had 3 computers, a notebook, a printer and a games console all running at the same time through our wifi router.

All were quick to set up, now they all (bar the notebook) automatically connect to our "secure" router.

honestly, I'd suggest you try and get the desktop wired to the router, it'll be faster, more secure and more reliable.

yes from the back of the router there are usually 4 slots, plug a lan lead (blue normally) into the back of the desktop ..

thats it ...:woot::woot:

Forget the leads!! It's wireless! All you need is a wireless dongle (may be in-built on certain motherboards). I use a Netgear USB dongle. Installed the Netgear software, entered my security code and connected. I have desktop, laptop & XBox 360 connected sharing the single connection

If your new PC does not have wireless built in, look at buying a USB dongle. About £20 from ebay.

Forget the leads!! It's wireless! All you need is a wireless dongle (may be in-built on certain motherboards). I use a Netgear USB dongle. Installed the Netgear software, entered my security code and connected. I have desktop, laptop & XBox 360 connected sharing the single connection

If your new PC does not have wireless built in, look at buying a USB dongle. About £20 from ebay.

wireless doesn't automatically make it better than wired. There are only 2 reasons to choose wireless over wired: 1) You move the hardware around a lot or 2) its impossible to get a wire to the location.

wireless doesn't automatically make it better than wired. There are only 2 reasons to choose wireless over wired: 1) You move the hardware around a lot or 2) its impossible to get a wire to the location.

:agree: Wired is far more stable than wireless; if you can get a cable to the PC, use it, otherwise go wireless. That said, most of my network runs off wireless... Hadn't really thought about how much until I tried to list it :puke:

• 4 x PC's (3 wired, 1 wireless)
  • 2 x Macs (Wireless)
  • Apple TV (Wireless)
  • 2 x iPhone (Wireless)
  • Wii, Xbox 360 (Wireless)
  • PSP (Wireless)
  • 3 x Nintendo DS (Wireless)
  • Printer (Wired)
  • Security Camera (Wireless)
  • Home automation hub (Wireless)
  • 1 x Wireless Bridge
  • 3 x WiFi Routers
  • 2 x ADSL connections

The additional routers and bridges are to get a decent wireless signal though the house; the kids tend to play on-line games, and any drop of signal tends to get them moaning at me!

No disagreement but OP asked for wireless. Many don't have the router in the same room as their PC.

4 macbooks (wireless)
1 macbook pro (wireless)
1 mac mini (wired)
1 mac pro (2 x wired)
1 Vista PC (2 x wired)
2 XP PC (wired)
1 freeNAS server (wired)
1 airport extreme (wired)
1 airport express (wired)
1 ADLS router (wired)
1 HP printer (wired)
1 Linux PC
1 24x Gigabit switch
1 Xbox (wired)
1 PS3 (wired)
1 Nintendo (wireless)
1 iPhone (wireless)
2 blackberrys (wireless)
1 colour laser (wired)
2 Nintendo DSs

Yes seems to be working here :)

I have a laptop which works on the internet wirelessly.

I want to buy my son a desktop.

Can I run both wirelessly and pay no more money?

Please be gentle with your answe and not call me stupid.ha ha

You will need to make sure the desktop has a wireless connection - either a USB 'dongle' or PC card for wireless. Once you have that it should be no more difficulty to set up than the original laptop.

Other posters have suggested wiring the desktop PC directly to the router (assuming your router has wired ports - most do). If it's not possible or difficult to get an Ethernet cable from the router to the desktop, then another neat alternative is to use Ethernet over the mains. This would mean spending more money though, but it's a solution that works really well. I use it between my wireless router which is downstairs to connect to my switch which is upstairs.
This what I use - it works a treat!

http://www.dabs.com/products/best-v...-kit-85mbps--twin-pack--4YLR.html?q=powerline

It costs £36.55.

HTH

Mark

I have a wifi router.

[and im a she lol]

Where is the PC going to be?

If it is next to the Router then just connect a network cable (should have come in the router box)

If it is not going to be near the router then get a wireless card/USB stick for the PC.

Back