I found some treasure

Name
Eric Tearle
Edit My Images
No
I knew my late Granddad was a keen photographer throughout his life and I'd been meaning to go round to my Nana's house as she and my Dad, had been going on about some photography equipment that I would life that my Granddad had left. Knowing out of all the grandkids, that I was the only one into photography, she said to me I'm more than welcome to keep some if it (Englarger, Slide projector etc etc)

She had mentioned there was a few slides he had left behind and I didn't think much of it at first but I discovered a lot more than I had bargained for. Initially I found 1 big box full or highly organised slides, then another box and a further box. A few of these slides where family photos, most of which my Nana had never seen before, nor my Dad. And then there where a lot more slides of buildings, architecture and street scenes. Most of which dates through-out the 60's and 70's.

Some of the slide boxes are Labelled Paris, Berlin, Scotland, Devon and a few more of my Dad's Passing Out Parade in 1972 when he first joined the Army.

1960's Paris? Wow. Not to mention the nostalgia of family photo's that I was seeing.

I set up the Slide Projector (An Aldis 303) and sat for hours with my Dad looking at this amazing images.

All shot on Kodak Ektachrome. I believe to be the E-3 process range from the 50's-70's.

I took some photos on my phone to share with you but I will be scanning a lot of these in for the family and to share on here later on.

VX0DcL7W

dnSq5XOF

7ki4MbHI

LZsjY2Y0

rAn3QV5f

fantastic find :) I was actually thinking about this sort of thing last night, ive seen slide projectors and large collections of slides on ebay going for a few quid, i just love the idea of the randomness of what youd find in a box full of old slides.

Excellent!

Just a quick tip for the scanning - most of the scanner dust removal systems (like ICE and so on) don't like being turned on for Ektachrome. You'll get the same scan errors as with BW film.
Not true - see further in thread! Sorry for confusion!

Have fun digitising the memories!

Last edited:
Brian, I'm not sure that's quite true re ICE and Ektachrome. It is certainly true for Kodachrome, although even there it can be helpful to use it on your skies with a mask (as SilverFast allows). I've scanned dozens of boxes of Kodachrome and Ektachrome from the 70s on, and the Ektachromes tend to have fewer (not zero) problems with dust detection.

Eric, great find, I'm in a similar situation, see the DufayColor thread elsewhere in this forum. And members have been fantastic in helping identify locations, as my father was nowhere NEAR so painstaking wrt documenting his transparencies!

(And the box contains thousands of black and white 6*9 negatives jammed in together, not even in packets... not sure I have the heart to look at these!)

Yes, Chris is right - it sounds like you're confusing it with Kodachrome.

Ektachrome is an E6 process film (or one of the earlier E-process variants depending on its age) and should be OK with ICE.

Another comment, if you're going down the scanning route. If these slides have been well-used as such, ie shown to friends and family on numerous occasions, various things will happen. One is they will pick up dust and even perhaps fingerprints. You do have to decide how to deal with that. For my father's DufayColors, so far I've elected to ignore dust, other damage and marks, but I suspect as I get down to a few I really like, I'll spend a bit more time on them in PP.

The second is that slides get seriously out of order, indeed, out of box. It came as quite a surprise when I finally worked out that some of the slides in my last NZ box were actually from Tasmania, and not because it was the end of the same roll of film! (In my defence, we're talking 1974/75 here!) I've found the same thing with my father's transparencies: slides obviously out of order or from different times jumbled together.

When I did my own slides I used a hand-held viewer to try to sort them out, but I suspect a light-table would be an enormous help. It's not impossible to sort them out in digital form of course, but some preliminary work could help.

The other thing is, scanning programs don't seem to be very helpful about adding metadata at scan-time. You've got helpful hints like "Paris" written on slides, maybe dates on boxes, maybe names of people. It's really worth trying to capture these. I ended up trying to put key metadata into the folder name I was scanning into, also labelling the boxes (or packets) systematically and using that labelling as part of each file name. So FDufayA01.jpg for the first slide in the first box of my father's Dufay transparencies (and the packet now has A written on the side)! Not great, but it helps me track down the original if I decide I need to re-scan them. The NZ slides were so muddled I ended up having to encode whether they were Kodachrome or Ektachrome, and had grey or red numbers on them!

I'm not saying you should follow these specific examples, and I don't want to put you off, but if you do get hooked by the idea of recapturing that lovely haul of images, being systematic is really helpful. Whatever systm works for you.

Thanks for the correction all - I must have had my Kodak films mixed up! I'll edit the comment to prevent any future searches picking it up..

Thanks for the information on scanning. Definitely something to consider

At the bootie Sunday a seller had piles of old photos going back at least 90 years, all fascinating but was looking for record shots of places that I knew......but never found any.

You may really have found treasure. Look up Vivian Maier!

Whilst very interesting and I for one am looking forward to seeing the scans, probably not in the same realm as the undiscovered 100,000 Vivian Maier negatives.

Last edited:
Back