I Give Up

rule number one is have a spare tripod plate in your bag, rule number 2 is remember that if you cant control it it'll suck. i.e traffic, weather, people, animals. no matter how had you plan something will happen but who wants to be stood in a studio taking portrait shots of models?

I know this thread is old enough to have grown a beard but over the years I have gone through most of the 'forgets' mentioned. Now and for some time back I always try to keep everything I use together and make sure I check that everything is present when I get home. I also make sure I have spare film, cards, batteries etc.and that all is clean at that time. The kit is then put away and not touched by anbody until the next outing. In theory at leasrt I only have to pick up one bag!

We've all been there and done it mate like Stu above went to photograph bluebell woods, with a small window of opportunity due to crap weather, work and the bluebells about to go over, same story no QR plate:mad: Well actually the wrong QR plate. I stomped off home and spent a fortune on Arca clamps and plates now in every bag and camera has a QR plate and there's one in each tripod bag SWMBO reckons I'm nuts!

Only to be exceeded by many years ago taking a holiday and shooting 36 exposures only to find when I got home there was no film in the camera ( yes folks banging off 100 exposures a day was expensive then, digital has spoilt us:)).

Always have a plan B mate, just pick your location then google 'local public houses'.
But seriously having a bean bag lobbed in the boot of the car is always a good move and can save the day!

Only to be exceeded by many years ago taking a holiday and shooting 36 exposures only to find when I got home there was no film in the camera ( yes folks banging off 100 exposures a day was expensive then, digital has spoilt us).

I did that a couple of years ago. When the counter got to 42 I started to worry - They would have been the best photographs I have ever taken!

Steve.

I hear you and feel your pain brother, its not just forgetting your kit, its the organising of the family ad making sure they are attended to first. Being a family man myself I know the opportunities don't arise very often and when they do something like this happens and you just think to yourself.......... What's the point. Sometimes a break can be good. All the best.

It was on my mind all day at work today. I checked weather forecast, cloud cover, route planner, traffic conditions, tide times on the hour every hour. The forecast was for a clear, dry night so I thought, this is it, this is when I'll get my landscape mojo back. Milky Way here I come!

Put the kids to bed, left the mrs watching X Factor and set off on the 2 hour trip to Dunstanburgh. Arrived there, parked up and set off on the half hour walk to the castle. In the pitch black no less. Only ended up finding it as I knew it was at the other end of the gold course so followed the flags in descending order!

You could see the Milky Way with the naked eye when I got to the castle, it was awesome!

Cracked oped my bag, went to put the camera on the tripod......no QR plate. Took it off for a wedding yesterday. Gave up and went home after trying to prop the camera up on various rocks etc.

Just got home and have to be up for work again in about 4 hours.

Landscape photography - I think it's time we took a break. It's not you, it's me. It's just not working.

Hi Danny,
These things happen. I broke my ankle yesterday whilst at a Hunstanton car park. I'd travelled 2 hours to get the sunset and didn't even manage to get my gear out of the boot. Slipped on a tiny patch of mud as soon as I got out of the car and went down like a sack of spuds. I then had to drive all the way back to just outside of Norwich with a broken ankle, and get a lift to the hospital where it was confirmed its broken in 2 places with ligament damage.
Its in plaster, I can't drive or go out togging for 6 weeks. To make matters worse I've recently been made redundant.
So yes, we all have crap times, I've been out before and forgotten memory cards, batteries, filters, even lenses so I know how you feel. I've adopted a strict checklist process to make sure I don't forget anything moving forward.
Perhaps you need to, too?!
All the best
Neil

Hi Danny,
These things happen. I broke my ankle yesterday whilst at a Hunstanton car park. I'd travelled 2 hours to get the sunset and didn't even manage to get my gear out of the boot. Slipped on a tiny patch of mud as soon as I got out of the car and went down like a sack of spuds. I then had to drive all the way back to just outside of Norwich with a broken ankle, and get a lift to the hospital where it was confirmed its broken in 2 places with ligament damage.
Its in plaster, I can't drive or go out togging for 6 weeks. To make matters worse I've recently been made redundant.
So yes, we all have crap times, I've been out before and forgotten memory cards, batteries, filters, even lenses so I know how you feel. I've adopted a strict checklist process to make sure I don't forget anything moving forward.
Perhaps you need to, too?!
All the best
Neil
OH No! S**T .... Now I do feel your pain mate, I went through similar couple of years ago done my Achilles, then went through all the months of fixing it then just got back to walking without crutches and it went again! apparently this only happens in 5% of cases how lucky was I.
Well that's about all you need on top of being made redundant:mad:. I really wish you well mate. Hope things get better for you soon Neil Chin up Mate(y)

Back