I got it!

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey Guys,

I have just been out and treated myself to the 400D with the 18-55 kit.

I have no idea what I am doing with it, and I only have a small CF card!! My aunt goes to China tomorrow, so I am going to ask her to buy me a big one :)

I'm going to spend most of the night reading the manual, is there anything else I should be doing?

Regards,

Craig.

Many congratulations Craig :clap: To start with just get out there and use it! Experiment and enjoy. Oh and start saving your pennys, you're gonna need 'em ;) :LOL:

Definately USE it.

I read book after book, post after post and magazine after magazine. I gained an understanding of the basics of exposure, depth of field etc but nothing beats actually experimenting (and being digital it costs nothing to do that!)

You really need to try one thing at once read up on it and have a go then post your pics on here and the very friendly helpful lot will tell you what you are doing right or wrong. I have had my camera for a couple of months now and have learnt a lot from the feedback on both my pictures and ones submitted by others.

Thanks for the welcome guys!!

Is there anything else I should know before I start shooting away?

I can tell you one thing, which you may be able to help with....I had an old CF card lying around which I have put in it for now. However, it's only a 64MB one and it seems I can only take 3 images!? That works out at 48 images on a 2GB card, surely that cannot be right? As you can imagine, I want to wait a week for my aunt to get back from China with a bigger card, but only being able to take 3 pictures at once is pretty crap! lol.

Your new enthusiast....Craig!

lol that is a bit pants!

Can you change the image quality.. Change the image size down to small, and change it to JPG basic (assuming you can do that on a Canon)

Should get you a few more.. on my 1gb cards I get 81 files in RAW, which I think is the most memory hungry format, so somethings not right

Something's not right there Craig. That means your getting 3 images at 21 Mb :eek: IIRC on my old 400D the biggest file size was around 8Mb for a RAW file and 2Mb for the best quality jpg. Have you formatted the card in the camera?

No, I haven't formatted the card in the camera, how do I do that?

Also, I'm not sure if this is major, but when I pressed the file view button and there were no files to view. A black screen displays stating "No Images" in white text. Down at the bottom of my screen is one red pixel. Please don't tell me I have a dead pixel already!?

If there are any files on the memory card that are not pictures then you will not see them BUT they will take up space. Just look for FORMAT in the index.

Yeh format that card, the biggest file size for a 400D is about 8mb...

64mb can get you plenty of photos, just gotta turn the size and quality down a bit.

When it says no images on the screen - it's because you haven't taken any yet.

Yeah format CF Card is an option in the "yellow" section of the menu

Okay Guys,

I have since formatted the CF card, and I have also just returned the camera and received an exchange due to the dead pixel.

I look forward to learning lots about photography!

Here's my first picture! :-D

2052752019_577d18f23d.jpg

Regards,

Craig.

hey, nice one

practice practice, is the best advice I can offer :D

Back