Not open for further replies.

markiemc13

Suspended / Banned
Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
well,

I've as you may know from my other thread I have been contemplating this for a while, but i today made the decision to no longer pursue a career in photography.

It seems I have no hope in the subject, i've lost a very good friend on the way and also established myself a bad reputation within the sports photography industry.
i'd like to thank you all for the kind advice I have received,

best wishes in the future

Mark.

Last edited:
Events like this should make you more determined to do what you want and in this case become a sports photographer, you won't make it there if you give up easily.

Your 16 years old and you've burnt every bridge and pursued all avenues already.

I think not.

Perseverance is something you'll need in what ever career you in future choose.

If you still enjoy your photography give it another go.

Mark I've seen you change your mind about your photography more times than I care to remember so excuse me if I take this decision with a pinch of salt.

Don't worry though this is normal for one so young. If you knew what you wanted by the time you were 16 then the rest of your life would be boring.

Mark I've seen you change your mind about your photography more times than I care to remember so excuse me if I take this decision with a pinch of salt.

Don't worry though this is normal for one so young. If you knew what you wanted by the time you were 16 then the rest of your life would be boring.

I think this is it this time :thumbsdown:

what makes you think you are not good enough.

Really, Im not!
I ruined my chances running before I could walk.
Nothing I can do now.
Thanks for all your help earlier in the year, and best of luck in your career (y)

SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!

Learn from whatever mistakes you think you made!

if you give up cos one person (or a few) say the same) ignore em

As someone who, a few years back thought they'd ****ed up their only chance of getting on in their chosen career (not photography, but that's not really relevant), believe me, there's always another way if you want it enough...

you are feeling sorry for yourself, sleep on it and come back in the morning.

Ive been told..By the best

There is no "the best"

There are people who are good at what they do.

Doesn't neccasarily mean that what you do fits in with their vision, and that you can't be the best at what you do.

Now MTFU and get on with it.

SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!

Learn from whatever mistakes you think you made!

if you give up cos one person (or a few) say the same) ignore em

:plus1:

Mark practice makes perfect. remember your mistakes and learn from them, remember your triumphs and learn from them ;) your 16 not a child prodigy

Ive met you we got on well. hey my friend upset at least one person that day, yes they are still taking photos

dave

Last edited:
Don't give up. People always tell me things I have learnt to be oblivious! I simply stated on here I wanted to do a wedding and got shot down in flames! I could have let that worry me or I could have researched and planned and practiced and learnt from any mistakes. This is what I did. I shot my first wedding last week - (pics will be posted once seen by the B&G).

Just because someone tells you that you are not good enough - you don't have to believe it. Now I may be being suckered into a young mans self pity. I hope not. If you have found something you enjoy and that you are reasonable at then work at it. At your age the world is out there - maybe sports wasn't you, maybe it is - maybe you need to specialize maybe you need to diversify. There is no simple answer. Take it on the chin weigh up your options and then decide. You never regret what you tried when you are older, only what you didnt...

Stop feeling sorry for yourself.....

Don't know what you did to annoy people as you say (maybe you could shed light to help us out?) but I wouldn't back out..... keep at it. As someone else has said, perseverence is key to establishing yourself as a success in any field you choose to pursue.

Some years ago when I was editing my old mag I had a chat with the boss that basically went: "Sort your priorities out, start putting some more effort in where it's needed and sod what other people think of you". I went away feeling confused but thought A) I'll show him, and B) he's right because I know that bowing out then was just lazy. I took the advice and kept running the mag for another five years, put copies on and made it a success. Okay, some people didn't like me within the trade but `i weighed up which were important and which weren't, and made an effort to get onside with the ones who had importance to my job. Worked a treat.

It may seem hard to work your way up but it's never impossible and should certainly be given up on if it's the thing you want to do most.

:LOL::LOL::LOL: if Matt Sayle had thrown a childish strop at some of the serious criticism and pee taking here got here a couple of years ago, he wouldn't now be pursuing his dream of being a motorsport tog, but he is because it was what he really wanted and a damn fine job he is doing of it!

Now, you can feel sorry for yourself and give up, or get a spine, learn some lessons and make a go of it. Oh yes, I say that as a middle aged woman currently undergoing a career change into photography and yes, its bloody hard work, its not an 'easy' job and there will be plenty of knocks along the way! So Gerronwivit.

Oh yes, one last thing, we don't really allow goodbye threads round here, so your next post better be more positive or the thread will be closed ;)

For christs sake grow up and get a backbone, if this is how you react to a little critisism or some truths then you probably are best packing it all in, however i expect you'll wake up this morning wishing you hadn't make a t*t of yourself on the forum last night

Seriously, get a backbone and come back fighting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark, if you are talking about who i think you are talking about! then dont worry. I had a very similar sort of response. I have sent emails and images to numerous agencies and those were were good enough to reply (1 in 10 maybe) all gave knock backs, some not as polite as others.

Its a very competetive industry at the moment and probably wont get any easier, so the best thing to do is stick at it. Even if for the moment you dont pursue sports photography as a career, do it as a hobby. Practice, learn, take advice, criticism, rejection then come back a bit stronger and wiser. Take some more advice, criticism, rejection and repeat the cycle.

Its hard work but keep plugging away if you want it bad enough it will happen.

For christs sake grow up and get a backbone, if this is how you react to a little critisism or some truths then you probably are best packing it all in, however i expect you'll wake up this morning wishing you hadn't make a t*t of yourself on the forum last night

harsh, but true!

Last edited by a moderator:
So let me get this straight, just because you fell out with ONE guy who runs an agency and told you your not good enough, your going to give up :wacky:

Seriously Mark, he told me my stuff was **** big deal, its one persons opinion

You have to learn to Man up, take it on the chin and get on with it

At 16 you've got a life full of knockbacks to come. If your dream is to be a sports photographer then your entering into something that will be hard all the way. If it's hard then the payback is sweeter when you get where you dream of going.

Take some time out and then go back at it with renewed gusto. If someone says your rubbish don't like down like a little puppydog, rise up like a wolf and prove them wrong.

As for the comment about Paracetemol I've never heard such a stupid comment.

:LOL: So good its fine if you say it twice (y)

Seriously your only 16, put your arse in gear and by the time you are 20 you could be so called one of the pros. Practise, experiment and show your flare and remember if you come back stronger than before and take it like a man, people will respect you more. Its earnt, not given.

I was 16 not as long ago as some may think....and no, I'm not an oldie!!

So much has happened in my life since then, you really don't know what's around the corner....and at about your age now, you'll no doubt have some experience that will make you see the big wide world for what it really is - a melodramatic, cruel, backstabbing place full of very selfish people and a few amazing people thrown into the mix to even things out a little, where you have to make the decision to stand up for yourself or be a sheep. In your life you're going to have some major ups and downs, in the next decade alone, - and when you get your own place there'll be a time where you're so skint that you don't eat properly and worry about the bills...and times where you're going to have to ask someone for help and admit that you can't manage something by yourself. There'll also be some amazing times along the way...but I think if anyone on here in their mid-twenties or older told you that being an adult and standing on your own two feet was the easiest thing in the world and life was always a bed of roses, I think they'd be lying.

So, you think you don't want to be a pro. OK, whatever. But stop being a pussy and carry on togging! Why should someone else stop you doing something that you love?

It's alot easier taking the "I take no **** from anyone!" approach sooner rather than later btw ;)

16 and thats your action!!! You are still very young. For goodness sake, is this a windup? 16 is nothing. You are too young to give up and still young enough to learn. Gee, i am 46 and just starting to learn how to use a DSLR!!!

Sit 10 people down to look at one of your pics and i bet you will get 10 different comments! One guys opinion is just that, his opinion, nobody elses.

You enjoy photography? If so, then don't give up.

OK....I've watched this one develop and it seems Mr Stunnell knows more than most here (I'll pick his brains so as not to put my foot in it) however,

We've all had knock-backs from agencies...I completely ballsed-up a chance by emailing an agency and including the wrong company name in my spiel about how much I wanted to work for them!

OOPS.

That was very early on, I now proof-read emails. However, the responses I got from the owners were honest and frank and taught me a very valuable lesson (other than proof-read before hitting send).

You will always get knock-backs...sometimes it's because you're trying to punch above your weight and approaching someone who you aren't that ready for.

Sometimes you get a knock-back because they just don't need another tog in your area. The Northwest is very full of togs...you should move to Bristol, there's me and The Bionic Dan and that's about it.

If you look at every knock-back as an outright "No...never" then you need to seriously think about giving up or you'll drive yourself crazy and into a big deep pit of depression.

Perhaps you need to SERIOUSLY think about this and whether this is the life you want to lead...yeah it's great being able to tell your mates about being sat at the touchline for a premiership game, but the pay's crap, the hours are long and often anti-social...I see my girlfriend for 1 day a week really, she works M to F, 9 to 5 and I work Saturdays as my main day for upto 9 hours at a stretch...so that leaves a bit of Saturday, and Sunday. Lord knows what will happen if we ever have kids. Plus the competition to get anywhere, and to get regular published images is immense...if you're getting your knickers in a twist about 1 agency saying "no thanks" then you're going to find a lot tougher than if you go "OK thanks very much for your feedback" and then go out and shoot a few games, improve your work and approach them again saying "here...look how much I've improved"

It's a very very tough business to get into, and to survive in if you get there...think very carefully about whether you can handle it. I've seen guys whose lives have been really battered by Sports togging...there's a reason quite a few guys are single.

If after all this soul-searching you DO decide to keep at it...then develop a thick skin. Fast. Some of your FB friends will be harsh about your abilities, and you need to rise above that and prove people wrong. I've been trying to prove people wrong since I was 15 (finally I can say - "yeah, I'm not such a waster now am I Mrs Seymour of year 11 fame" - screw you, I've made something of my life, unlike you suggested) so I'm pretty well versed at it by now, you need to learn damn fast.

Also, I just figured out what MTFU means....

VERY APT in this situation.

That is possibly the best advice to give.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back