I guess this is goodbye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish to comment on this thread.

I am not in the business of name dropping, naming names or giving my identity away, however whilst it is apparent that the posters here have every intention of helping each other, seem warm, welcoming and extremely enthusiastic, it is simply not a case of what most are assuming.

I am not in the business of knocking a guy when he is down as it is totally unfair, however feel that some posters of this forum are making opinions without any knowledge or criteria to form a valid opinion.

Some of the best photographers in the business had mentors. Some are now at the age where they appreciate where they are and want to mentor back.

I am one of those photographers.

Mark has somehow managed got to corresponde with at least 3 major football photographers that I know of. Quite simply Mark has had some amazing opportunities via personal email addresses of some of the world's best football photographers.

I wish to make it quite clear, Mark has not had a knock back from any agency as such or been rejected because of his pictures. He is only 16. All we want to do is nurture him, offer advice and help him discover his dreams as we saw an unique enthusiasm and initially warmed to him.

He quite simply has spectacularly not listened or taken important advice. We have got totally fed up of him and moved on.

The knock backs have come, not because of his work but of his attitude and seemingly lack of dedication.

Two major players in the industry are still awaiting DVD's from him to asses his work and give him 1-1 advice, support and help. This work is no way classed as job interview material, but simply to look, judge, help and train him up.

Our philosophy is to train photographers to first look through a 50mm lens, use it, love it understand it, and then go to an 85mm. Then a wide and then 400 and 600mm. Mark does not know this but we have big expensive lenses that he could have borrowed but in short we are now fed up of him. I know what I am taking about, I am a very open and honest person and I like to help people. There are ways of educating photographers, the industry is on its knees and many are looking in going into teaching.

Mark has self-carved out amazing opportunities for himself which when I was a youngster starting out in photography I could only dream of.

Our compassion has run out and I am sincerely sorry but he only has himself to blame.

I then got to know of Mark and was warned of him by this person. I make my own judgements but my friend was not wrong.

We are not nasty mean horrible people, we like to listen, understand and help. From my point of view we are professional people and the company that MRFIGJAM mixes with are not the guys at the top of their game.

People in the industry DO know who Mark is. He writes emails to individual photographers as well as Action Images, AMA, Getty Images and then cc'd them to other agencies without changing personal details.

As one poster suggested, he has caused offence to at least two photographers who have between them done 11 FIFA World Cup Finals by causing severe professional embarrassment by emailing major newspaper picture desks when advised and then told not to. One colleague labelled his actions as a tornado causing havoc - yes it was that bad. His actions on facebook have not been well received either.

It will take a spectacular effort on his behalf to even get his foot in the door again.

Sorry I am not wanting to publish my name or my background, but 'we' sadly no longer want anything to do with him.

If Mark wants to list the 4-5 photographers who have helped him, of which I am one then so be it. Hand on heart I have NEVER given so much effort to anyone and had it thrown back in my face.

Another photographer even feels more strongly than I do! He is one of the best in the world and has been there and done basically everything there is to do, Marks emails to him when all he was doing was offering advice that money can not buy were shocking. I do not want to come across as patronising but as I said with the deepest respect some wannabe photographers would be wetting themselves with excitement if they had received detailed replies from this guy in particular.

PS

KIPPAX : I know who you are and have heard many people knocking you behind your back. I want to make it quite clear that the guys at the top never mock others like the people I have personally heard. You are quite right in ignoring their immature actions. Keep snapping.

Good luck everyone -

** Mark, just be a teenager and channel your enthusiasm differently next time. I so want to help but sorry, you have blown your chances. And what is more sad is that you have never learnt from your mistakes.

He never listened to any advice he was offered on here either so youre not alone

I wish to comment on this thread.

I am not in the business of name dropping, naming names or giving my identity away, however whilst it is apparent that the posters here have every intention of helping each other, seem warm, welcoming and extremely enthusiastic, it is simply not a case of what most are assuming.

I am not in the business of knocking a guy when he is down as it is totally unfair, however feel that some posters of this forum are making opinions without any knowledge or criteria to form a valid opinion.

Some of the best photographers in the business had mentors. Some are now at the age where they appreciate where they are and want to mentor back.

Mark has somehow managed got to corresponde with at least 3 major football photographers that I know of. Quite simply Mark has had some amazing opportunities via personal email addresses of some of the world's best football photographers.

I wish to make it quite clear, Mark has not had a knock back from any agency as such or been rejected because of his pictures. He is only 16. All we want to do is nurture him, offer advice and help him discover his dreams as we saw an unique enthusiasm and initially warmed to him.

He quite simply has spectacularly not listened or taken important advice. We have got totally fed up of him and moved on.

The knock backs have come, not because of his work but of his attitude and seemingly lack of dedication.

Two major players in the industry are still awaiting DVD's from him to asses his work and give him 1-1 advice, support and help. This work is no way classed as job interview material, but simply to look, judge, help and train him up.

Our philosophy is to train photographers to first look through a 50mm lens, use it, love it understand it, and then go to an 85mm. Then a wide and then 400 and 600mm. Mark does not know this but we have big expensive lenses that he could have borrowed but in short we are now fed up of him. I know what I am taking about, I am a very open and honest person and I like to help people. There are ways of educating photographers, the industry is on its knees and many are looking in going into teaching.

Mark has self-carved out amazing opportunities for himself which when I was a youngster starting out in photography I could only dream of.

Our compassion has run out and I am sincerely sorry but he only has himself to blame.

I then got to know of Mark and was warned of him by this person. I make my own judgements but my friend was not wrong.

We are not nasty mean horrible people, we like to listen, understand and help. From my point of view we are professional people and the company that MRFIGJAM mixes with are not the guys at the top of their game.

People in the industry DO know who Mark is. He writes emails to individual photographers as well as Action Images, AMA, Getty Images and then cc'd them to other agencies without changing personal details.

As one poster suggested, he has caused offence to at least two photographers who have between them done 11 FIFA World Cup Finals by causing severe professional embarrassment by emailing major newspaper picture desks when advised and then told not to. One colleague labelled his actions as a tornado causing havoc - yes it was that bad. His actions on facebook have not been well received either.

It will take a spectacular effort on his behalf to even get his foot in the door again.

Sorry I am not wanting to publish my name or my background, but 'we' sadly no longer want anything to do with him.

If Mark wants to list the 4-5 photographers who have helped him, of which I am one then so be it. Hand on heart I have NEVER given so much effort to anyone and had it thrown back in my face.

Another photographer even feels more strongly than I do! He is one of the best in the world and has been there and done basically everything there is to do, Marks emails to him when all he was doing was offering advice that money can not buy were shocking. I do not want to come across as patronising but as I said with the deepest respect some wannabe photographers would be wetting themselves with excitement if they had received detailed replies from this guy in particular.

PS

KIPPAX : I know who you are and have heard many people knocking you behind your back. I want to make it quite clear that the guys at the top never mock others like the people I have personally heard. You are quite right in ignoring their immature actions. Keep snapping.

Good luck everyone -

** Mark, just be a teenager and channel your enthusiasm differently next time. I so want to help but sorry, you have blown your chances. And what is more sad is that you have never learnt from your mistakes.

[snip]

He quite simply has spectacularly not listened or taken important advice. We have got totally fed up of him and moved on.Sorry I am not wanting to publish my name or my background, but 'we' sadly no longer want anything to do with him.

I see....now I understand. I think I might be able to guess at who you might be, but I'm a gent and I'll not be mentioning it here.

Fair play to you though for coming on here and giving an extremely detailed and honest response. If you are who I think you are, then stick around here and join in. We'd be happy to have you around and your experience would be most welcome...in fact, I'd definitely relish the opportunity to pick your brains a bit...

(must not have geeky awkward teenage moment) You are a bit of a legend (if you are who I think you are) when it comes to Football photography and you (and the photographer who feels more strongly than you - if it is who i think it is) are about as close as I have to "role-models" and "heroes" in sports photography.

James.

Last edited:
I see....now I understand. I think I might be able to guess at who you might be, but I'm a gent and I'll not be mentioning it here.

Fair play to you though for coming on here and giving an extremely detailed and honest response. If you are who I think you are, then stick around here and join in. We'd be happy to have you around and your experience would be most welcome!

James.

:plus1:

OK, the 'otherside' has had their say too, so I think its time Mark was left to have a good long hard think about his own actions, about where he wants to go and perhaps even a few heartfelt apologies he would like to make along the way.

In his defence, I know from personal and bitter experience, that teenagers often find it very difficult to follow the right path and take advice, and they live their lives through facebook. I also know that you have to allow them time to grow and make their own mistakes, and eventually the majority of them do learn, even if it tales several attempts at the same mistake [hell, we all did didn't we?] no matter how god given you think the opportunity is you have given them [and probably is].

Soccersnapper - thankyou for your input and please feel free to remain an active member, you might even like the place.

Mark - put down your camera, spend a few weeks or even months reflecting on where you want to go and how you are going to overcome the obstacles. Wishing you the very best of luck.

Yxx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back