I had a play with macro today.

Edit My Images
No
Firstly, I've never visited this forum before - have to say that the shots I have seen are incredible!

Anyway, I took some very quick shots today (Mrs was nagging.....). I used a Canon 400d with a Sigma 70-3004-5.6

Now, not having time to try anything special, can you chaps tell me what the above kit should be capable of in comparison to what I have achieved below.

Cheers.

TeaVr

fly_edited-1-1.jpg

wasp1_edited-1-1.jpg

Welcome to the macro forum and well done on your posting.
I cant speak for the lens having never used one. The 400 is a good camera though. You have a shallow depth of field in both of these, and the focus is just right, that correctly keeps the eye on the main subject. There doesnt seem to be any EXIF data, so can I ask if you have applied any USM. Anyway, they are good shots, I like them (y)
Trev

Last edited:
Thanks for the positive post Trev.

F7, 1/200, ISO 100, 300mm, RAW, Manual and sharpened as best I could.

I know there's massive room for improvement, but having never ever paid attention to insects (apart from avoiding them) these shots have opened up a new world to me - I really didn't know what a fly/wasp looked like up close!

Cheers.

TeaVR

Like the shots, but a warning would've been nice, as i have a HUGE fear of wasps.... almost pooped myself when i saw that :eek: :puke:

Last edited:
I think they're great shots!

Why thank you. All I need now is a macro lens (once I've purchased a 70-200 2.8, a 24-70 2.8 and last but not least a Canon 5D - might be difficult to disguise all this kit!)

Nice shots - You have clearly got a good eye for macro and have focused well.

I have recently purchased a flash and I can not tell you the difference it makes to macro. I have used my macro lens for a year with mo flash. I am only now appreciating what it can do. I can not recommend a flash enough to improve your macro no end.

Back