I hate Fuji!

Yv said:
Personally, I rarely take any notice of 'sample' shots, I much prefer to see some real life images on here, from someone I trust - which probably also explains why I am never one of the first to buy a new bit of kit when it comes out :LOL: Sorry guys.

Myself and Yves Geza have been chatting about this on and off for the last few hours. We are in the market for a small camera, flexible enough for me, easy enough on auto for him. We also really wanted something 'retro' and in a world of unlimited £'s, it would be a Leica. However, that of course is not the case, so the original idea was going to the Olympus Pen system - the was until Fuji threw a mighty hat in the ring in the shape of the X100. HE loves it and still wants one, and indeed I am borrowing one from another member later this week for an event I an a guest at on Friday, so that will be interesting. However, Fuji then seriously grabbed my attention with the X10, in no small way ably assisted by our very own DuncanDisorderly and added to by other TP fuji converts. So, the X10 won out, the flexibility of a a zoom lens and some creative settings, with the ability to run very capably on auto and unlike the M3/4 systems, very easy to drop in even a smallish handbag. As soon as that lens I no longer use is sold, it would be ours.....

Then Fuji tip up the apple cart again with this beastie, which on specs alone is a mighty piece of kit, looks good enough to eat and assuming it has all the breeding of its smaller sisters, would do the job very well.

BUT....and here is the thing... it takes us right back to needing a bigger handbag [read, small camera bag] AND that predicted price tag, which is hefty by anyones standards. I could buy another D700 body for that kind of money, sell the D300 and still be better off in my pocket with the same 'size' of kit as I currently have but double the quantity of quality pictures when using both bodies.

So, as much as this IS a piece of kit I would love, being practical, I want a piece of kit that does a job [or to be totally pedantic, doesn't do a job, it's a hobby camera, Nikon does my money earning], at a value for money price and that I think is still the X10.

So, the X Pro 1 can sit on the wish list, somewhere just behind that Leica, waiting for that lottery jackpot - I want you, but for now, I will lust after everyone elses :D

Wow m4/3 too big for handbag, you must have a tiny handbag :D

Wow m4/3 too big for handbag, you must have a tiny handbag :D

:LOL: Ok I admit, day to day, a full M3/4 set up with addition lenses would fit in the monstrosity I carry, but on a night out.... :naughty:

I am more than happy to admit its a 'style' thing too, none of the M3/4 systems can come close to the X100/X10 for the way they look - shallow? Moi? .... Maybe ;)

Yv said:
:LOL: Ok I admit, day to day, a full M3/4 set up with addition lenses would fit in the monstrosity I carry, but on a night out.... :naughty:

I am more than happy to admit its a 'style' thing too, none of the M3/4 systems can come close to the X100/X10 for the way they look - shallow? Moi? .... Maybe ;)

Haha very shallow, a marketing persons dream you are :)

The x10 sure does look nice, but at a price. Just you wait for m4/3 pro body ( come on Olympus )

vaizki said:
You can't really have a hard stop with an AF motor.. it needs to be able to go just past and make its way back when it overshoots is what I understand happens. Also you don't want it looking for focus it can't get by banging against a hard stop...

Quite a sizeable portion of Nikon's lens line up have hard stops.

Haha very shallow, a marketing persons dream you are :)

The x10 sure does look nice, but at a price. Just you wait for m4/3 pro body ( come on Olympus )

:LOL: Maybe, in this case, but there can be no denying it is a very capable camera in a compact body. The only other system that comes close that I have looked at is the Canon G10/11/etc and frankly its a-canon [ok, I can live with that] and b-an ugly lump :puke:

Anyway, if a bit a fancy styling makes me buy it HOW many months after its release....? I think I would rather be that shallow than one of those gadget freaks that is queueing outside a store at silly o'clock in the morning for the latest 'toy'/game :LOL:

You can't really have a hard stop with an AF motor.. it needs to be able to go just past and make its way back when it overshoots is what I understand happens. Also you don't want it looking for focus it can't get by banging against a hard stop...

I don't know what technology some of these new lenses use, like Panny MFT, when they just turn and turn. It makes manual focus a nasty experience IMVHO. I have several Siggy HSM lenses for my Canon DSLR and they are ok for manual focus and have near and infinity stops. I do wish / hope that a similar technology is used by this Fuji and others as time passes.

I'd love AF lenses with distance markings and all but one of my DSLR lenses have them and the fact that mirrorless lenses generally do not does annoy me :bang:

I've all but given up hoping that I'll ever get 100% what I want :thumbsdown:

It's named focus by wire, it's meant to have the advantages of quieter focusing (useful for video) and better communication with the camera - the camera can know when you're manual focusing and, say, bring up a 100% zoom in the viewfinder. It's also said to save a few pennies in manufacturing.

edit: Can get 30 minutes of video on youtube here and here. Fairly dull videos, so quite a calming effect for my bank balance.

Last edited:
I'd disagree; even DPReview have, I've just noticed, compared it to the Leica M. OK, it's not a rangefinder, but the hybrid viewfinder offers depth of field and a 21st century approach to camera framing.

The Contax G was very definitely aimed at the Leica M, and I see the Fuji as the spiritual successor to that camera. Moderately expensive, technologically advanced, iconic design, based around a fine set of prime lenses...

It may not be aimed at the Leica exactly, but those people, like me, who may have been in the market for a used M8 will certainly be looking very hard at this camera as an alternative; as I wrote earlier, those who value design, discreet shooting and a normal prime...

Quite a sizeable portion of Nikon's lens line up have hard stops.

Ok I may have misunderstood.. I meant a hard infinity stop in the sense that the lens won't focus past infinity. Not familiar with the Nikon lenses but Canon EF lenses with AF all focus past infinity which can be a bit of a pain with manual focusing...

If they sort out the AF, and vastly improve the MF.....I think I may be selling the X100 and G1....will wait and see!

I'm still not convinced by this prime lens thing that mirrorless cameras seem to be adopting.

I'd guess that the level of space saving that possible with a fixed zoom on ther G1X is much harder to achieve with interchangeble lens zooms though.

It depends alot on the market there after aswell I'd say, I can see Fuji benefitting compaired to the NEX7 from having there focus solely on the high end market.

Good God Yes, and with a nice price drop after a few months too :D

I seriously doubt it though.

That looks very very nice indeed. I'm glad I sold my Leica M9 when I did as the used values are sure to drop as a sizeable number of potential owners look Fuji's way.

I have just set myself up with a very nice 4/3rds kit of a GF1, 8mm fisheye, 14mm, 20mm and 45 1.8 which all fits into a diddy belt bag, so its unlikely I will go for the Fuji in the near future. However, it really is a step forward in my view.

If it has focus peaking, then putting Leica or Zeiss lenses on it will be very interesting indeed.

If it comes in at a little over £1k it is going toe-to-toe with the NEX-7 I'd imagine. I can't see it having any bearing on an M9's value though. Might be interesting with the M mount adapter, will look forward to having a play.

If it comes in at a little over £1k it is going toe-to-toe with the NEX-7 I'd imagine. I can't see it having any bearing on an M9's value though. Might be interesting with the M mount adapter, will look forward to having a play.

That's what I was thinking - can't see many established Lieca users suddenly moving to Fuji, especially as those Fuji lenses with the "fly by wire" focus will not appeal to Leica lens users who like to stay in full control.

woof woof said:
Oh God, where to start?

They're more compact, they'll take just about any lens and they haven't got that silly box full of moving parts smashing about every time you press the shutter button and that means they can be quieter and have no mirror slap to introduce camera movement into your shots.

Body's are but lenses arent unless you have a tiny sensor

Really?

I find that APS-C lenses can be smaller than full frame and of course micro four thirds lenses are often tiny compared to full frame despite the sensors not being tiny, although admittedly this does depend upon your definition of "tiny." For example I personally don't think that there's too much practical difference between MFT and APS-C.

Of course one of the attractions of mirrorless systems is that you can use almost any lens and when it comes to legacy or manual lenses then they are often significantly smaller, but of course you may well need an adapter. Even so, a mirrorless system plus a lens is almost certainly going to be significantly smaller than a conventional APS-C or FF DSLR. Even a FF mirrorless system (when they arrive, as I'm sure they will) plus lens will no doubt be more compact than an SLR with mirror box plus lens.

Last edited:
It's on my shopping list already....if the evm is a bit quicker than the current x100 and it takes leica glass then my plans to buy abother M9 may just take a back seat for a while....can't wait to try one.

I know quite a few Leica users who are considering it, mainly those who are still shooting ever-more-expensive film but who can't afford an m9. Must say I'm tempted but I'll see where things are at a few months down the line. Doubt I'll ever sell my M6 though.

They say that there's no adjustment on the VF but that you can buy corrective lenses :thumbsdown: Bit of a downer if different people want to use it :thumbsdown: That sounds like too much of a mess on for me so I suppose it all hangs on if I can see clearly through it. I wonder why they haven't put an adjuster on it? Not to seems mad.

Last edited:
They say that there's no adjustment on the VF but that you can buy corrective lenses :thumbsdown: Bit of a downer if different people want to use it :thumbsdown: That sounds like too much of a mess on for me so I suppose it all hangs on if I can see clearly through it. I wonder why they haven't put an adjuster on it? Not to seems mad.

Really? There's adjustment on the X100. Not that it really matters as long as you can make out the framing lines.

I think Woof woof is referring to the lack of diopter adjustment....quite handy, but if seperate dioptre lenses can be fitted to the EVF then job done i suppose.

I don't hate Fuji ;)
I was expecting something along the lines of the X100 and it seems that this isn't it! So I can continue to save my pennies till I get the X100 rather than worry about a successor to the X100.

But...

On closer inspection, the XPro1 and an 18mm pancake could do something for me.

Last edited:
I think Woof woof is referring to the lack of diopter adjustment....quite handy, but if seperate dioptre lenses can be fitted to the EVF then job done i suppose.

Except that that leaves the problems of where you get them from, which one do you buy or is it a matter of buying a few and trial and error, what if your prescription changes and what about other people using your camera.

All in all a little adjustment wheel would be much more preferable to me personally and although I'll have to reserve judgement until I look through the VF at the moment this is a potential big minus point against the camera, for me personally. Bugger.

It seems like a fairly expensive body (sounds like it will start at 1300-1400£ which is a lot more expensive than other DSLRs in the same category (D7K, 60D/7D, K-5). The lens lineup is not that exciting either.

Not only DPR, but Fuji themselves have made it clear they are targeting Leica. It doesn't have to be a rangefinder, it just has to target the same market demographic.

From the buzz on the forums, including the Leica forums, it would seem that plenty of folks who might have stretched to a Leica might now see no need. If that's the case, then Leica have a real problem on their hands.

Having looked at the coverage it really now looks a lot like a digital contax g camera. Like this camera it also looks like it is too full of technology for me. AF with easy mf with simple lenses and an optical rf would suit me fine. Output to raw for later fiddling and off you go!

Back