I hate GAS.

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
After my last camera broke (Nikon D7000) and I wasn't too heavily invested in a Nikon system I decided to use the opportunity to switch to micro 4/3rds. Brought myself a Panasonic G7 with 14-140 lens, also bagged a smaller tripod and back pack. Over the set up I had before I've saved a decent amount of weight which is very welcome on a long day out.

Just purchased a 50mm equivalent prime and happy with the image quality I am getting which at my enthusiasts level is more than enough for me.

So why o why do I still have GAS and wonder if I be better off with an dSLR??

Resisting temptations to switch. Keep weighing up the pros and cons and for what I shoot and use the camera for micro 4/3rds always wins!

Anyone got anyway to stop this itch without itching it. Besides banning myself from going online to look at cameras

Anyone got anyway to stop this itch without itching it.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Welcome to the club Ian!

I had the GAS — more like the NAS in my case!— for
as long as there was something I couldn't do without.

I've leaned that I have to justify every purchase as a
business decision. If not, no purchase… money is hard
earned still today!

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy yourself here...

Would this help with the GAS ?

IMG_0748.JPG

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Welcome to the club Ian!

I had the GAS — more like the NAS in my case!— for
as long as there was something I couldn't do without.

I've leaned that I have to justify every purchase as a
business decision. If not, no purchase… money is hard
earned still today!
Had, past tense? :D
Oh man am I infected
Digital system camera, lenses
Lighting gear
Medium format gear
Large format gear
Darkroom
Bags
Etc
I've learned. If it's not likely wife will notice, buy. And its becoming more and more unlikely she'll notice as gear piles up everywhere. :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just learned to live with it, although I'm quite happy with the camera equipment I have now.

My new problem is that I've just bought a Mavic Pro, and ND filters, and awaiting the arrival of Crystal Sky and .....

Last edited:
Had, past tense? :D

Well yes, Søren.

My operation needed quite a bit of gear
but I got pretty much
everything it needs
(see profile).

Sure, there are things I would like to have
just for the fun of owning them and could
afford but I can't justify them for the busi-
ness. I will retired eventually and my sons
will have all they need to go on.

After my last camera broke (Nikon D7000) and I wasn't too heavily invested in a Nikon system I decided to use the opportunity to switch to micro 4/3rds. Brought myself a Panasonic G7 with 14-140 lens, also bagged a smaller tripod and back pack. Over the set up I had before I've saved a decent amount of weight which is very welcome on a long day out.

Just purchased a 50mm equivalent prime and happy with the image quality I am getting which at my enthusiasts level is more than enough for me.

So why o why do I still have GAS and wonder if I be better off with an dSLR??

Resisting temptations to switch. Keep weighing up the pros and cons and for what I shoot and use the camera for micro 4/3rds always wins!

Anyone got anyway to stop this itch without itching it. Besides banning myself from going online to look at cameras

If you really need to spend money then how about training or trips to take more interesting photos*

*no reflection on your current abilities or output, I've no idea what you shoot.

If you really need to spend money then how about training or trips to take more interesting photos*

*no reflection on your current abilities or output, I've no idea what you shoot.

I only see myself as a keen amateur so I could probably do with some expert help. I will have a look into a training course or trip.

I hate GAS but I've found the more I look st things the more I convince myself I want them, so I try and limit what I look at. It's tough but it does work.

And buyers remorse, yep. I have that too when I buy something and think should I have bought y instead of x :D

I tend to focus on stuff that will enable me to take better photos or obtain pictures that I could not otherwise take, rather than just more toys. Actually I need to clear a bunch of stuff out, some of it good, but all of it no longer needed - hording isn't rewarding when it comes to photo kit.

I hate GAS but I've found the more I look st things the more I convince myself I want them, so I try and limit what I look at. It's tough but it does work.

And buyers remorse, yep. I have that too when I buy something and think should I have bought y instead of x :D

I find coming on here and going to the Panasonic owners thread and looking on FlickR at stuff taken with micro 4/3rds reminds me that there is nothing wrong with the equipment I have and how capable it is. Maybe I just need to try to stop looking at stuff to help me.

I tend to focus on stuff that will enable me to take better photos or obtain pictures that I could not otherwise take, rather than just more toys. Actually I need to clear a bunch of stuff out, some of it good, but all of it no longer needed - hording isn't rewarding when it comes to photo kit.

I have a tripod and a bag left over from my D7000 i had before that I need to put in the classifieds but then keep thinking should I let it go or not. Money could easily be put to use elsewhere not just for new camera toys.

What does GAS mean? :thinking:

It would be interesting to hear how the day goes too.

Will leave some feedback on this thread.

So far GAS has been controlled by avoiding such sites as Wex,MPB and looking more on Flickr etc at photos taken with similar equipment to what I have. After all a camera is just a tool. Mine is more advanced than I'll ever need.

Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

It's not just photography, it applies to all sorts of hobbies and fields.

I seeeee. Shouldn't this thread be in the Talk Equipment forum then?

One for the Common Abreviations thread I think :)

Reminds me I still have some musical equipment I don't need...

I think my GAS has calmed down in the last year. Part of the reason is that I satisfied the full frame itch and I now love the images I get from the 6D. But also the process of moving from crop sensor to full frame forced me to look at what lenses I actually used and cut down from 5 lenses to 3. After this I started to look at exactly what images I was trying to create and how to create them, including my use of light. The only lenses I've bought in the last year have been some old OM fit lenses that came with an Olympus OM20 from a charity shop.

Reminds me I still have some musical equipment I don't need...

I think my GAS has calmed down in the last year. Part of the reason is that I satisfied the full frame itch and I now love the images I get from the 6D. But also the process of moving from crop sensor to full frame forced me to look at what lenses I actually used and cut down from 5 lenses to 3. After this I started to look at exactly what images I was trying to create and how to create them, including my use of light. The only lenses I've bought in the last year have been some old OM fit lenses that came with an Olympus OM20 from a charity shop.

Would love to try a full frame camera but can't really afford one. Something maybe i should try and tick off my list.

Would love to try a full frame camera but can't really afford one. Something maybe i should try and tick off my list.
I wasn't sure I could afford one either, certainly can't afford to keep multiple cameras, but I sold my 60D, sold my Canon 70-300 IS and Sigma 10-20mm plus a little cash and that was enough for a £700 secondhand Canon 6D.
If you wanted to try one, you could always hire one for a weekend and see if you like it, particularly the size (as I see you're a M4/3rds user).
Then if you still wanted one, work out what you could do to get one.

You do need to work out what you're shooting to work out if you should buy anything else. Is your current gear limiting you at all? Are the any shots you can't get because of the gear you don't have? Are you struggling to capture the image as you see it? (ie would better technique help).

I'd say you also need to shoot more to a) practise b) learn new techniques and c) carry on pushing till you start to hit limits of either skill, creativity or gear. It's likely skill and creativity run out first, but skills can be learnt and creativity can be improved by looking for inspiration.

Here's something I've found:
"I've not got a wide angle lens" (either with me or don't have one at all) - do a multi-shot panorama.
"I've not got a macro lens" - get either a reversing ring or extension tube off ebay, £10 done.
"I've not got a flash" - use sun light and reflectors. Consider where you are shooting. Is it a one off event? If so, could you borrow a flash for that event? If you do *need* one, look at off-brand flashes, Yongnuo and Neewer.
"I've not got a full frame camera" - do you want full frame or just the look? Try lenses that give the equivalent field of view, perhaps even buy some cheap vintage lenses to use on adaptors to try the focal lengths.
"I've not got a 100/300/500mm telephoto lens" - oh. There's not really a replacement for a long lens. But if it's a one off, can you borrow one, if not is it something you regularly do and therefore worth investing in?

Learn to use what you've got and if you find for example that the lack of a certain focal length means you can't get a shot, think about a different way to capture the moment.

I wasn't sure I could afford one either, certainly can't afford to keep multiple cameras, but I sold my 60D, sold my Canon 70-300 IS and Sigma 10-20mm plus a little cash and that was enough for a £700 secondhand Canon 6D.
If you wanted to try one, you could always hire one for a weekend and see if you like it, particularly the size (as I see you're a M4/3rds user).

You do need to work out what you're shooting to work out if you should buy anything else. Is your current gear limiting you at all? Are the any shots you can't get because of the gear you don't have? Are you struggling to capture the image as you see it? (ie would better technique help).

Learn to use what you've got and if you find for example that the lack of a certain focal length means you can't get a shot, think about a different way to capture the moment.

While this is good advice, it slightly misses thepoint of FF.

I began using Fx (D610) in Dec 2015, after a couple of years on Sony crop. In terms of handling, camera functionality and lens quality it was a backwards step for the kind of work I do. The camera itself is clunkier to use, some ordinary Nikon lenses were distinctly lacking compared to Sony/Minolta and the menu system is unintuitive. However the most central part to taking pictures with a digital camera - the sensor - is fantastic, and the subtle depth to images and dynamic range plus much reduced fringing/halo effects made it all worthwhile. The reduced depth of field is a mixed blessing, since although it's nice to be able to blur backgrounds, for almost every shot at or above 50mm focal length you MUST choose where the point of focus is, because depth of field is more limited for the equivalent field of view, even stopped down a long way.

I'd suggest there are few shots you can get with Fx that you can't get with Dx, but the difference goes deeper than just what you can catch.

While this is good advice, it slightly misses the point of FF.

I began using Fx (D610) in Dec 2015, after a couple of years on Sony crop. In terms of handling, camera functionality and lens quality it was a backwards step for the kind of work I do. The camera itself is clunkier to use, some ordinary Nikon lenses were distinctly lacking compared to Sony/Minolta and the menu system is unintuitive. However the most central part to taking pictures with a digital camera - the sensor - is fantastic, and the subtle depth to images and dynamic range plus much reduced fringing/halo effects made it all worthwhile. The reduced depth of field is a mixed blessing, since although it's nice to be able to blur backgrounds, for almost every shot at or above 50mm focal length you MUST choose where the point of focus is, because depth of field is more limited for the equivalent field of view, even stopped down a long way.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at; the improved image quality?
The improved dynamic range and low light performance could be said of any switch to a newer sensor. The full frame "look" is difficult to quantify though.
Functionality wise you'll get a difference if you change camera brand, no matter whether you change from m4/3 to crop or crop to full frame.

I'd suggest there are few shots you can get with Fx that you can't get with Dx, but the difference goes deeper than just what you can catch.

I'd say that you can "get" the shot with DX/crop, but that it'll have a different asthetic to it. I'm not sure I can explain it eloquently enough, but I definitely like the look.
I'll have to dig out some samples.

(I was on Sony crop DSLRs and know what you mean. The live-view function on my a350 was much more advanced that the Canon 60D I switched to. After using Sony, I just didn't get on with Nikon when I tried one, so I went to Canon)

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at; the improved image quality?
The improved dynamic range and low light performance could be said of any switch to a newer sensor. The full frame "look" is difficult to quantify though.
Functionality wise you'll get a difference if you change camera brand, no matter whether you change from m4/3 to crop or crop to full frame.

I'd say that you can "get" the shot with DX/crop, but that it'll have a different asthetic to it. I'm not sure I can explain it eloquently enough, but I definitely like the look.
I'll have to dig out some samples.

(I was on Sony crop DSLRs and know what you mean. The live-view function on my a350 was much more advanced that the Canon 60D I switched to. After using Sony, I just didn't get on with Nikon when I tried one, so I went to Canon)

I think you do get it though - Fx has a different quality to it because you enlarge the image less (the actual image as it's delivered to the sensor, rather than the image as pixels) for a given size, and it's that which gives the different feel & quality to the image. Sensors & dynamic range, yes they get better when you upgrade, but there's more to it than that as you tried to describe.

I'd say you also need to shoot more to a) practise b) learn new techniques and c) carry on pushing till you start to hit limits of either skill, creativity or gear. It's likely skill and creativity run out first, but skills can be learnt and creativity can be improved by looking for inspiration.

Here's something I've found:
"I've not got a wide angle lens" (either with me or don't have one at all) - do a multi-shot panorama.
"I've not got a macro lens" - get either a reversing ring or extension tube off ebay, £10 done.
"I've not got a flash" - use sun light and reflectors. Consider where you are shooting. Is it a one off event? If so, could you borrow a flash for that event? If you do *need* one, look at off-brand flashes, Yongnuo and Neewer.
"I've not got a full frame camera" - do you want full frame or just the look? Try lenses that give the equivalent field of view, perhaps even buy some cheap vintage lenses to use on adaptors to try the focal lengths.
"I've not got a 100/300/500mm telephoto lens" - oh. There's not really a replacement for a long lens. But if it's a one off, can you borrow one, if not is it something you regularly do and therefore worth investing in?

So far I haven't really got any reason to switch camera other than just for the sake of it. I do need to spend more time taking pictures looking where I might need to improve and seeing if it's me or the equipment holding me back.

I say "embrace your GAS with interest free credit" just picked up a 100-400L with a 10% deposit and 2 yrs interest free - don't think I'll notice the repayments [emoji846]

Back