I have changed my website again..

Name
Glenn Sparkes
Edit My Images
No
This time every year, I get bored looking at my own website so I always feel the need to change it every year.

Please if you get 2 mins, have a little glance at my site www.sparkesphotography.co.uk , please tell me if you think something is missing and more importantly my spelling and punctuation is rubbish so a little help on my grammar would be lovely.

Many Thanks & Happy Christmas everyone!

Glenn

Nice site! My only real criticism is all your photos (which are the selling point) seem really heavily (JPEG) compressed; which is a shame as I'm sure they'll all look better at quality.

If bandwidth / space is a concern, you could always host them on Flickr!

Hi

Thank you for your reply

Trouble is and I'm no website expert, don't the jpgs have to be small for the website to load quickly?

I always try and keep the file sizes between 100/200k

Hello Glenn. It's a really stylish-looking site for sure. There are a few formatting issues on the Samsung tablet I'm using, such as the word photograph at the top of the photography page getting split onto two lines. It's a curse formatting successfully across platforms!

Also, to keep up with the superb overall professional design, just make sure there are spaces between paragraphs.

I had a very quick look at the text and have a few suggestions below, if that's OK.

Excellent site.

Some of my clients say, "I can't pose. I hate being in front of the camera. I always seem to pull funny faces."

Every one of these pictures below include people that said that very same thing.

And people like you who appreciate the value of great photography.

There has never been any doubt that my speciality - my photographic passion - is photographing people.

by taking the time to get to know you a little.

After taking pictures I often get asked what I enjoy most. I feel blessed to be able to capture the intense love between a couple on their wedding day.

I've also discovered the kind of photographer I want to be: (or a long dash) one who wants to give you something a little bit different, something more considered, more unique if you will. So if that's what you are after then get in touch and let's work together to create something special.

Last edited:
That's brilliant! thank you Sam, I have a Samsung Tablet - I will use that and see if it does the same thing on there.

Many thanks

Good looking site but as said the images really heavily compressed - try a setting of 1400 px wide, save for web at high with 60 quality should get you 200kbs or thereabouts but retaining sufficient quality! :)

That's great advice about the images. These days, behind the thumbnails, we can have larger, uncompressed images on our sites if we want. In the context of your site, Glenn, those images have to look their best, so they could be a larger size in both senses. Good luck!

Thanks for the tips on the pics I will have a play tonight.

Thanks again guys.

Hm. It's ok but isn't wowing me, sorry. From a webdev point of view the fonts are poor and the lined background doesn't work for me, very noughties or even 90s. I can't read the writing on some of the images (grey on grey) and there is even incorrect grammar on one. On hovers I see "Cambridge w.....". It also wouldn't load the first time for me. On the plus side you have nice references, maybe these are webdev rather than consumer views.

Thanks nass, I know it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. I will have a look on the text colours but what do you mean about webdev?

I was having a go at myself - ie maybe looking at it as a developer rather than consumer :)

A few grammar issues:

On a customer comment on the homepage, picture's should have no apostrophe.

The phrase 'GLENN IS NOT ONLY A LOVELY GUY BUT AN AMAZING PHOTOGRAPHER' makes it sound like they person was surprised you are an amazing photographer.

it would read better as 'Glenn is not only an amazing photographer, but a lovely guy too.'

2x Sparkes Photography
Magazine covers in the last 12 months

would read better as:

2x Your East Anglian Wedding
Magazine covers in the last 12 months

On your about page lets should be let's.

FAQ page - remove the hyphen from throughout.

Last edited:
That's brilliant, thank you for having a good look Kevin.
No worries, just noticed a couple of unneeded apostrophes on the comments on the image slider on the homepage - picture's and photo's.

Browsing on a nokia Lumia 920, clicking on an image thumbnail brings up a small window at the top left of the screen with a tiny pic and a link. Not sure this is how it's supposed to be displayed.

Thank you Bob, with regards to Adwords Rob. I spend between £50 - £100 each month but it roughly works out about £50 per booking. I do recommend it but make sure you narrow your Adwords campaign to just your local area or it will cost you loads in waisted clicks.

Back