I like colour slide film :)

Name
Suz
Edit My Images
Yes
What a joy this is to scan compared to normal 35mm which never lines up easily in the holder! I'm also amazed how good the infra red clean is. Some shocking mottled slides from the 70s are perfect looking. Sadly it isn't good enough to disguise me dad getting the dog in focus and not the rest of the family . . .

Anyone still doing process paid colour slide film? Wish I'd used the Kodachrome I have laying about. Too late now.

I don't use the process paid stuff, but I do shoot slide film still. I have a stock of Astia 100F in the freezer, as well as some provia 100F. Slide is indeed a fantastic medium given careful control of the exposure.

Sadly nobody is doing process paid slide anymore, the last was Fuji Sensia which went over year or so ago.

E-6 processing itself is getting harder to find for good value but also good quality - until a year ago I could get it for about £8 processed and mounted with there and back postage, now its about £11 for the same thing, not to mention the cost of Fuji E-6 film itself, I nearly had a heart attack when I saw what most places were charging per roll for 35mm Provia 400X (about £9.99!).

And yes, when projected any slide will look better compared to when scanned although IT-8 calibration is a helping factor when scanning so to get correct colours.

Rats.

Dscl and peak both do e6 dev and mount only. Think it works out about £20 for 36 with film costs, dev and postage.

Boots used to have cheap slide film but I haven't seen any for a while.

One of the bigger labs does develop and scan, not sure on mount, for a tenner and they send you another film.

The boots stuff was cleared out last year, i've still got a roll to shoot then I need to send all three I bought to get them developed.

One of the bigger labs does develop and scan, not sure on mount, for a tenner and they send you another film.

The boots stuff was cleared out last year, i've still got a roll to shoot then I need to send all three I bought to get them developed.

That sounds good. Can you remember which lab?

Might try max speilman as they still do normal 35 mm.

There's Agfa Precisa which is said to be Provia but cheaper (though not a lot cheaper)...

EDIT... I've just sent off a roll of Provia 400X to AG, I'm hoping they do a good job. With processing and a medium scan it's £8.49 plus £1.96 postage the batch, and they do a 1st class prepaid label (you can print off the first one from the web).Last time they were a little slow, so I stuck in a note saying some images were candidates for this POTY round and I'm hoping...

Last edited:
I've used streamlineimaging.co.uk for E6 developing and been very happy with the service. They charge £5.40 per roll inc VAT but not sure what postage costs as I'm local enough to drop in!

That sounds good. Can you remember which lab?

I think Steveo is thinking of CC Imaging. I've found it a good deal over the last few months, but with postage rates going up again, you really need to send them several rolls at a time.

The price of Precisia is actually quite good considering (at the moment) that its Fuji Provia 100F (or a variant of)! (You can identify it from the barcode number if you look it up on the ISO site for film developing standards).
If someone has a roll of it at the moment and wants to tell me the number just beneath the bar code then I'll check up on it and confirm it.

I got a couple of rolls from a pharmacy in Berlin last September. This morning onto way into work I picked up the slides from Boots from the first roll. I used Boots as I had loads of points on my card from buying film and the points covered the cost of development an mounting.

Wow! Even holding them up to the light in the office at work has goth excited. Blues and reds especially look ace. I had the film in the camera for weeks waiting for a couple of sunny days with blue skies and I'm glad I did! Now all I have to do is get through the day at work before I can get home to scan them! Not fair!

I noticed that immediately I'd posted that link :)

Max Spielmann want £14.99 for processed and mounted slides of a 36 frame film. £11.25 with no mounts.

Boots did mine for £7.90 processed and mounted. For anything other than 35mm colour neg I wouldn't bother with MS.

Just to add to the above, I did have to wait two weeks for them to turnaround the slides but I only shoot slide as a special treat and it gave me something to look forward to!

I love slide film, it is an expensive habit to have though and can be frustrating!

Precisa is a lovely film, I took it with me skiing and was pleasantly surprised by the results.

How did you get Boots to do yours? Did you just rock up to any store and they can send them off?

There is also the-darkroom.co.uk £3 return postage is a bit of a bugger though.

It's a shame the CC-imaging website is so disorganised. I'm amazed they don't have their £10 deals as an online paypal thingy so you can easily order one and then send film straight in.

How did you get Boots to do yours? Did you just rock up to any store and they can send them off?

There is also the-darkroom.co.uk £3 return postage is a bit of a bugger though.

It's a shame the CC-imaging website is so disorganised. I'm amazed they don't have their £10 deals as an online paypal thingy so you can easily order one and then send film straight in.

I'm lucky as the big Boots in the city centre still has a good photo department including the machines for c-41. I just rocked up an asked for a price then gave them my film. I'd take it in on a weekend or a Monday as their pickups and drop offs for send away film are Tuesdays then the turnaround is two weeks. I didn't expect them to be there that early when I was there this morning it was just an off chance thing but the driver must get to store before they open.

Good to know that I can just pitch up there.

Rang a local place and they recommended DSCL. They're £8.50 including return postage per 36, mounted. Turn around is under a week.

AG have the easiest ordering method as you can just do a paypal order and print off the freepost label to send it to them. That's basically £11 for 36 mounted but it includes postage both ways.

I found some prescia for about £5 a roll and delivery was under £3. Also got some ultra cheap way out of date velvia while I was at it :)

could you mount the film into slides yourself? i remmber taking them apart and some where easier todo than others.

www.digitalab.co.uk do e6 35mm £4.75 process, and 120 for £4.50 process

not used em, but cheapest i found after a quick look day or two ago

could you mount the film into slides yourself? i remmber taking them apart and some where easier todo than others.

www.digitalab.co.uk do e6 35mm £4.75 process, and 120 for £4.50 process

not used em, but cheapest i found after a quick look day or two ago

I could mount them myself but I know I wouldn't be arsed :D

:D
ive got a 35mm roll of slide film, way out of date, should i use it at a lower iso?
it would of been cooked and frozen for a decade or more probably in our loft :D

:D
ive got a 35mm roll of slide film, way out of date, should i use it at a lower iso?
it would of been cooked and frozen for a decade or more probably in our loft :D

If it's ISO100, I'd shoot it at maybe ISO50 and expect to get very weird colour casts - let's call it "experimental", or perhaps "Lomo" :LOL:

Fast slide film (ISO400 and above) tends to do quite badly when it expires... either way, have fun shooting it but don't expect too much from it.

Back