I love my nifty50

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
Did all the boxing friday night and all the cage fights saturday night wiht my nifty50 .. it worked great and produced great vhigh iso pics even cropped.. My 135mm f2 prime, 85mm f1.8 prime and 35mm f2 prime all didnt match up to the perfect nifty 50

all that money on sports lens and the nifty50 is the best bit of kit in the bag so to speak :)

would love to see some examples of the shots you mention

am still working on the ful sets but heres the first bout friday night... very poor lighting.. was at iso 3200 (EDIT ISO 6400) f2.8 wiht the 50mm but even at 10fps and a quick 3 pic burst.. pics went from too dark to quite bright.. the light came down in waves and some pics you could see light and dark..

http://othersports.fotopic.net/c1911529.html

only noise reduction was "DUST/SCRATCHES" in photoshop on some but not all..

Last edited:
am still working on the ful sets but heres the first bout friday night... very poor lighting.. was at iso 3200 f2.8 wiht the 50mm but even at 10fps and a quick 3 pic burst.. pics went from too dark to quite bright.. the light came down in waves and some pics you could see light and dark..

http://othersports.fotopic.net/c1911529.html

only noise reduction was "DUST/SCRATCHES" in photoshop on some but not all..

What shutter speed was you geting @2.8 Tony

What shutter speed was you geting @2.8 Tony

500 shutter... but just realised all the boxing are iso 6400 .. MMA was 3200.. so ALL those boxing pics online so far are iso 6400 not 3200

I find the 50 1.8 is quite slow to focus for action though. Did you find the same?

I ended up getting a 50 1.4 which is faster and smoother to focus, but still dont use it for action sport though - perhaps I should give it a try.

Did all the boxing friday night and all the cage fights saturday night wiht my nifty50 .. it worked great and produced great vhigh iso pics even cropped.. My 135mm f2 prime, 85mm f1.8 prime and 35mm f2 prime all didnt match up to the perfect nifty 50

all that money on sports lens and the nifty50 is the best bit of kit in the bag so to speak :)

when you say the 35 and the 85 didn't match up - what were they doing worse than your nifty? not focussing right?

when you say the 35 and the 85 didn't match up - what were they doing worse than your nifty? not focussing right?

Not the right focul length for the two events.. I have used them both in the past for cage fights... but all in all the 50 works better..

50 wasnt all that slow to be honest.. very usable

I find the 50 1.8 is quite slow to focus for action though. Did you find the same?

I ended up getting a 50 1.4 which is faster and smoother to focus, but still dont use it for action sport though - perhaps I should give it a try.

I had exactly the opposite on my Nikon 50 1.8D was quick and the 1.4G quite slow in comparison...

Not the right focul length for the two events.. I have used them both in the past for cage fights... but all in all the 50 works better..

50 wasnt all that slow to be honest.. very usable

oh right, i had the impression from your op that the performance of your nifty was what was cutting it above those other lenses, if it was just the focal length then that makes more sense.

oh right, i had the impression from your op that the performance of your nifty was what was cutting it above those other lenses, if it was just the focal length then that makes more sense.

the 50 produces as good as if not better.. i cant pixel peep that well..

the 50 produces as good as if not better.. i cant pixel peep that well..

IQ wise I think it does but the bokeh in the nifty is horrible. I upgraded my nifty to the sigma 50mm because the bokeh on the nifty when compared to the sigma was horrible.

same with the 85mm. The images are much better from the 85mm to the 50 simply because the bokeh is so much nicer. Sharpness wise I never saw much difference.

Back