I need a digi camera....

excalibur2

My F4's Broken...
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
As I'm going to try and solve the decentred lens on my Canon 19mm...well I unscrewed the front retaining ring and moved the front element around and retightened and have taken a couple of shots...h'mm but having the film developed for each element I checked (to see the results) is ridiculous, but could be done over about a year by trial and error :eek:
Anyway I have these mad ideas now and again and if I see something like a Nex going very cheap I'll get it...as Tamron, Nikkor canon etc 18-21mm lenses are very expensive and if I can't solve the Canon 19mm lens can always use the Nex or whatever for shots of my gear ;)

Maybe your local camera shop has an FF Canon body you could take a shot with (or maybe even just examine the edges and corners closely using live view?)

I'm not sure Brian will be able to mount the FD lens without an adaptor with correction lens built in which will degrade the result and cloud the outcome. His idea of an NEX is the best as the flange depth is tiny so a basic FD-NEX adaptor will be ideal.

Edit - I realise an NEX is a crop sensor so won't show any edge issues but it's cheaper than buying an A7 :0)

Last edited:
Maybe your local camera shop has an FF Canon body you could take a shot with (or maybe even just examine the edges and corners closely using live view?)

An idea for one off but might be p*****d off keep coming back and not buying anything o_O

An idea for one off but might be p*****d off keep coming back and not buying anything o_O
I can lend you a Nex 3 for however long it takes, Brian.
Memory card, charger included. i don't use this one, it's just sitting on a shelf gathering dust :)
You'll obviously need an adaptor. I don't have a Canon to Nex one.

I'm not sure Brian will be able to mount the FD lens without an adaptor with correction lens built in which will degrade the result and cloud the outcome. His idea of an NEX is the best as the flange depth is tiny so a basic FD-NEX adaptor will be ideal.

Edit - I realise an NEX is a crop sensor so won't show any edge issues but it's cheaper than buying an A7 :0)

Well the faults in the lens can be seen before you even get to the edges. I've seen an advert for a Nex 7 with worn viewing screen for about £50 and I'll see how it goes as I really have the rest of my life to try and fix my 19mm using film, but would be nice to use it ASAP as I really like the results from 19mm and am sure up to 21mm.

I can lend you a Nex 3 for however long it takes, Brian.
Memory card, charger included. i don't use this one, it's just sitting on a shelf gathering dust :)
You'll obviously need an adaptor. I don't have a Canon to Nex one.

Well I'll except your offer Ken thank you, let me know the postage cost recorded. Have you still my address?

You've just gotta love the generosity (y)

You've just gotta love the generosity (y)

Indeed and Ken has been a generous guy to me in the past as well...this is a great forum for helping each other out. (y)
Next to sort out is the FD adapter as some of the cheap Chinese ones are hit and miss, I'll have to go over to the digi sites to get some recommendations unless someone here knows of a cheap reliable make.

I've used Fotga with no problem for different lenses: Nikon, C/Y, Minolta

Indeed and Ken has been a generous guy to me in the past as well...this is a great forum for helping each other out. (y)
Next to sort out is the FD adapter as some of the cheap Chinese ones are hit and miss, I'll have to go over to the digi sites to get some recommendations unless someone here knows of a cheap reliable make.

I have an M42->Nex adapter from K&F Concept. Not too expensive, well made, recommended over a random one off of eBay.

Here's the FD version - £15 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Concept®-Adaptor-Adapter-E-Mount-Camera/dp/B00LECYIWE

I have an M42->Nex adapter from K&F Concept. Not too expensive, well made, recommended over a random one off of eBay.

Here's the FD version - £15 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Concept®-Adaptor-Adapter-E-Mount-Camera/dp/B00LECYIWE

Thanks Keith....it might be better quality and wear better compared to the Fotga but with a bit of luck I might solve the problem with the 19mm lens only taking about 30-50 shots...and the Fotga is only £5.73 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fotga-Ada...564f50805c34652d6731a3&pid=100508&rk=1&rkt=1&

Anyway I have these mad ideas now and again and if I see something like a Nex going very cheap I'll get it...as Tamron, Nikkor canon

I'm not seeing the buying of a Nex as the mad bit in this extremely "Brian" thread
As ennertaining as it is, its seems like you're determined to avoid the shortcut to 19mm bliss, preferring to convolute and complicate the process........just for the hell of it..

I like that..:D

I'm jus glad I don't have those thoughts...

yet

I'm not seeing the buying of a Nex as the mad bit in this extremely "Brian" thread
As ennertaining as it is, its seems like you're determined to avoid the shortcut to 19mm bliss, preferring to convolute and complicate the process........just for the hell of it..

I like that..:D

I'm jus glad I don't have those thoughts...

yet

Well I suddenly thought of this cunning plan to try and turn my useless £12 lens into a joy to use... worth £150 ;)

Nope, I'm not doing cunning or try, its too faffy and unreliable, I'm doing employ a repair professional and spend free time eating doughnuts & coffee.
It would be a crap thread though...:)

Nope, I'm not doing cunning or try, its too faffy and unreliable, I'm doing employ a repair professional and spend free time eating doughnuts & coffee.
It would be a crap thread though...:)

...but the Canon service centre didn't want to know (they don't go back past EF lenses) and Miles didn't have the proper optical equipment, although you can get by using test charts and sorta doing it my way.... but being realistic why would Miles spend the time @ say £50 per hour and at the end send me the bill, and there was no guarantee that the lens was fixed, easier to clean lenses and mechanisms and repair camera bodies when the end result is certain.

Ordered the adapter and Estimated delivery: Wed. 28 Dec. - Fri. 27 Jan. :eek:

...but the Canon service centre didn't want to know (they don't go back past EF lenses) and Miles didn't have the proper optical equipment, although you can get by using test charts and sorta doing it my way.... but being realistic why would Miles spend the time @ say £50 per hour and at the end send me the bill, and there was no guarantee that the lens was fixed, easier to clean lenses and mechanisms and repair camera bodies when the end result is certain.

Well good luck with it Brian.......and remember..........pics, or it never happened..:)

Ordered the adapter and Estimated delivery: Wed. 28 Dec. - Fri. 27 Jan. :eek:
There are places in the UK that sell them - a wee bit more expensive but delivery is quicker.

Sometimes it only takes two weeks from China...

Well good luck with it Brian.......and remember..........pics, or it never happened..:)

Well my first hope is in "show yer film shots # 17842" the front element might have moved off centre and maybe I've fixed it, by the time the adapter arrives I should see the film results by then..so I'll bore ya'all to tears with my shots :D

There are places in the UK that sell them - a wee bit more expensive but delivery is quicker.

Sometimes it only takes two weeks from China...

well I've heard of a slow boat to China and looks like it works the other way ;)

SRB Photographic (used to be Griturn IIRC) would be my recommendation. Not cheap but the adaptors from them work!

SRB Photographic (used to be Griturn IIRC) would be my recommendation. Not cheap but the adaptors from them work!
They're about £40+
The ones I use are about £10. It adds up when you have 9 of them.

..so I'll bore ya'all to tears with my shots :D

Don't be coming back with some dodgy half arsed oof bush and woodland testers, Asha wants brick walls, grids and straight lines to keep him i̶n̶t̶e̶r̶e̶s̶t̶e̶d̶.....awake!
I'll shoot my Nikon 20 for comparison if you want

brick walls of course....:)

I've sent the Sony 16mm 2.8 with the camera. Equivalent FF is about 24mm.
Not the best of lenses but not bad if used correctly.

I've sent the Sony 16mm 2.8 with the camera. Equivalent FF is about 24mm.
Not the best of lenses but not bad if used correctly.

Thanks Ken.....before I send the Nex back I'll try out my FD mount lenses esp zooms to sort out which is best for resolution.

No rush, it's a back up for a back up for my Nexes.
I've a back up for my DSLRs too, and 10 Contaxes (and a few Yashicas) for film.

oh, and a couple of Mamiyas...

Oh no, not again, .....I'm off to hibernate .....:exit::D

..but Asha don't you like puzzles.....now what element or combo of elements in a lens causes this, well all I can do is loosen the elements (one at a time) by the retaining ring and retighten and see the results each time.

Last edited:
Have you tried using a tripod to make sure it's not you? :eek:

Have you tried using a tripod to make sure it's not you? :eek:

I suppose I should, but wouldn't think a 19mm lens @ 1/250 would show camera shake...but will try a shot with and without a tripod. A digi is so handy for testing maybe I should carry one around with a set of adapters and laptop to check bootie lenses :D

I suppose I should, but wouldn't think a 19mm lens @ 1/250 would show camera shake...but will try a shot with and without a tripod. A digi is so handy for testing maybe I should carry one around with a set of adapters and laptop to check bootie lenses :D
There is a magnification function so you can see in greater detail on the rear screen in live view or after an image is taken.
Scaling is between 1.1x and 13x

There is a magnification function so you can see in greater detail on the rear screen in live view or after an image is taken.
Scaling is between 1.1x and 13x

That's handy as I've seen my son magnify shots on his mobile. Is the camera set for decent MPs and will it show up the faults on the pics above or do I need to download the jpgs to my computer?

Don't be coming back with some dodgy half arsed oof bush and woodland testers, Asha wants brick walls, grids and straight lines to keep him i̶n̶t̶e̶r̶e̶s̶t̶e̶d̶.....awake!
I'll shoot my Nikon 20 for comparison if you want

brick walls of course....:)

Did you get your 20mm for a lucky cheap buy OR it cost what it costs? The completed listings on the bay and cheapest with a few scratches on the front element was £127 inc postage

Back