I need a good compact!

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all :wave: I've not been on here for ages but don't hold that against me ;)

I'm going on a rafting trip on the Vltava here in the CR and I need a camera, I'm not really interested in taking my 5D due not only the chance of it going swimming but also we'll have to leave the raft unattended quite often and I don't fancy leaving my camera with it or lugging it with me.

My problem is that I have no experience of compacts, lets say I have a budget of £200 (flexible) what's the best one to go for?

Ideally the camera will have a good number of manual settings and have IS. Good noise handling would be nice too. Resolution isn't important although I'd like enough to define detail quite well but not so high that noise is a problem. It'd be nice if it is a reasonably popular model too so that finding a waterproof bag for it won't be too difficult. Size wise, I don't want something that is so small you can't hold it but not so big that I can't have it attached to my person and get in the way of paddling. I just hope I'm not expecting too much for a compact :LOL:

So far I've found the Canon G9 and Panasonic TZ5, which seem to be quite good but I'm hoping others can give me a shove towards others that are worth looking at.

Ta. :)

what about a second hand Fuji S9600 "Bridge" camera? seen some cracking results with that and something worth thinking about for your trip
Thanks for the suggestion it'll probably tick all the performance boxes but I can't help thinking that being a bridge camera it may still be a bit bigger than I'd like :)

Canon G9. If you can't use a proper camera, use one of them.

It will even shoot RAW...

Canon G9. If you can't use a proper camera, use one of them.

It will even shoot RAW...
Yeah, that's the reason why I checked the G9 out first :)

The recently announced Olympus mju tough 8000 and 6000 sound ok but the funny Olympus cards, the settings being a bit too dumbed down and the unknown image quality make me cautious at the moment.

I have a G9 and am very happy with it in such situations. I carry it about with me when or where my DSLR cannot go and it does admirably (I think). I don't know too much about the G10 but do know that it is supposed to have much a better noise floor at high ISO settings and it does have a slightly shorter zoom range than the G9.

The Olympus tough is a great little P&S and waterproof to 5m also, which comes in handy. I taken some good pics with mine when I havent been able to take my Canon 400D.

I need a compact as well.. reading this thread I looked up canon g9 and one review says its not somehting you could carry in your pocket.... so its a bit lumpy is it?

starting to think a decent phone with latest super duper camera might be an option..

From what I can see the Panasonic FX500 gets good reviews and seems well specced, reasonably sized too.

I've yet to see a camera phone that's actually any cop.... well, any cop for someone who knows what a photo is supposed to look like...

Me and the Mrs use a Panasonic DMC TZ3. It has a lovely bright and a wide angle to telephoto zoom.

The downside is there's no optical viewfinder and you get a little bit of flash delay but you get used to it. There's a Leica lens on the front and it gives some pin sharp pictures.

Canon SX110 IS gets good reviews better noise control than the Pana FZ5. Still got 10x zoom, 3" LCD, full manual controls and closer macro than the TZ5 but no raw.

Canon SX110 IS gets good reviews better noise control than the Pana FZ5. Still got 10x zoom, 3" LCD, full manual controls and closer macro than the TZ5 but no raw.
Looks like another good option, has to be black though ;)

As the owner of a TZ4 I would happily recommend the TZ5. The versatility of the 10x zoom will be invaluable and its size means that it is easily pocketable in a cargo.The IQ differences between most p&s cams isnt that much and they can all be improved in post so the one with the most flexibility would be my choice.If you are away from electricity then make sure you take an extra battery whatever cam you choose.Have fun:)
Pete.

The G9 seems to be the best compact for IQ. I have a pany LX2 which is much smaller, shoots RAW and captures great detail and fabulous colour..... as long as you keep the ISO low.

Getting a compact is always about deciding where to take the hit and getting the two out of three that's most important.

The Ericsson C905 camera is also very good for what it is.

Lumix LX3 is good too and worth a look (Leica 24-60mm (equiv) f/2-2.8 lens)

Back