Beginner I need some help! :)

Edit My Images
No
Hi there,

I am having problems with my Nikon D90. My photos always come out quite soft, but they're not blurry, nor out of focus (it's a bit better in close-ups). I do know, that I'm supposed to change the "picture control settings". BUT, my problem is, that I can't. It says "This option is not available with the current settings". What am I supposed to change? As far as I know, nothing's out of ordinary.

I'd honestly appreciate any help! :) Maybe these photos can illustrate what I mean.

DSC_7189.jpg
DSC_3389.jpg

You need to tell us what settings you're using (or trying to use) if you want a complete answer.

What mode is the camera in, what are the ISO, shutter speed and (particularly) the aperture? Are you shooting in RAW or JPG? If the former, how are you processing the images?

as above :agree:
what mode you shooting in
lens f stop iso shutter speed etc
sure can be made better

omg I feel so stupid, now that you've mentioned I was shooting in sports mode, that's why I couldn't edit the picture control settings! Thank you for your help @mbphoto and @ghoti :) you've helped me a LOT! :ty:

try (A) mode when i not got time to set up properly for a shot (A) mode the bomb
its obviously aperture priority mode so shutter sets its self outdoors use say iso 100 and fastest f stop your lens allows as a fast subject like your dog who are great subjects but never sit still i take a lot of shots of my lurcher running at speed and works for me your camera is pretty good at guessing the light and if not can be sorted in proccesing
do you use any software to edit your images ?

Last edited:
hold on 1 min ........

shot in (A) mode

Last edited:
edited
also make sure your wb right i leave mine in auto as its pretty good at guessing and what metering mode you use as all affect the results
also what lens is it as a cheaper end lens gives soft results not all but alot i use nikon so not too clued up on cannon but sure alot on here will be its a great site not been a member long myself but found it extreamly usefull informative and inviting

Last edited:
just to add the top one was shot on a d3100 and kit lens when i started in a mode iso 800 f 4

sorry just noticed you solved the problem before i went off on one trying to help :exit:
my bad
atb
matt

Thanks for the help, again! You actually helped me a lot, I'll try to set my camera as you advised, because I still end up getting quite soft images despite having the sharpness increased... Actually I have SIGMA DC 18-125 mm lenses, could that be a reason of the soft images? I use f 3,5, ISO 3200, shutter speed 80(though it changes automatically if I change f ) @mbphoto

ISO3200 could be a problem. Not going to be great sharpness at f/3.5 either. You don't have to manage only your settings but also your expectations. Sometimes the conditions demand settings that won't give ideal results.
I wouldn't get too hung up on sharpness, though. Unless you're printing big then it won't really make a hugely visible difference if the pic is not as sharp as it could be.

Last edited:
Aaahh, I see! Thank you! I'm actually a beginner with these setting, and with SLR itself, so I'm really grateful for you advises. Thanks a lot! :)

Hit P mode, with auto ISO
Concentrate on getting your focus and composition right, whilst you learn about the other stuff.

But that lens will always be a weak link, if you're wanting brilliant IQ you'll have to invest in better glass once you've worked out what everything else does.

Thank you for your advices! I just set the ISO to auto, and I think I get better results.

No one stated the obvious. Change to CANON!!!!

sit back and wait for the feedback!!!!

woops my bad for some reason im sure he was shooting cannon
btw good move not! nikon the bomb
glass glass glass ive tried every cheap lens they dont get the results except a select few dimonds

Back