Beginner I realise I'll get flamed for wanting to aquire yet another camera but...

Name
Richard Allen
Edit My Images
No
Would this be any good? Available for £70 at CEX.

I'm trying to part with that Nikon D50 I got the other week, but the seller is being annoying about the return label, I've already requested eBay to step in if he doesn't respond by close of play tomorrow.

Cameras I already own.

Canon SX IS 20
Nikon Coolpix L20
Nikon D50
Sony DSC-W800
Unbranded HD Video Camera I bought on eBay about 18 months ago

Most of the little compact DSLRs work fine, but I wanted something a bit more advanced, but I'm struggling to get the Nikon D50 to work, despite having 2 tutorials with @stickytape last week.

Last edited:

I'm trying to part with that Nikon D50 I got the other week, but the seller is being annoying about the return label, I've already requested eBay to step in if he doesn't respond by close of play tomorrow.

What's the problem with D50 - if you have changed your mind why should he accept it back?

What are you looking to shoot and do with your camera, what is the end goal you have in mind? If its to learn the basics the D50 is as good a place to start as any. Personally, if funds allow, I would say the Fuji X100 - delight to use, and fixed lens makes you think about things. Plus its small to likely to take out with you more.

What's the problem with D50 - if you have changed your mind why should he accept it back?

What are you looking to shoot and do with your camera, what is the end goal you have in mind? If its to learn the basics the D50 is as good a place to start as any. Personally, if funds allow, I would say the Fuji X100 - delight to use, and fixed lens makes you think about things. Plus its small to likely to take out with you more.
I can't get the thing to work, even with a new lens and a fully charged battery! :crying:

Richard, if you were anywhere near me I'd invite you to a day at the seaside with your camera but sadly I think we're quite a few miles apart.

Personally, I'd stick with the D50.

I would caution you against buying any camera equipment from CEX, unless you are experienced enough to tell a bad one from a good one. People usually sell their outdated, outmoded, or faulty stuff to them, who sell them on "as is" with no warranty or even testing.

You have the lens that you bought from Harrison?
If so go back to them with the lens and buy the Nikon D50 they have for £30.
Get them to put the lens you bought from them on the D50 they have and get then to show you how it works.
I might try and pop up next week if I'm not working, thanks.

Cameras I already own.

Canon SX IS 20
Nikon Coolpix L20
Nikon D50
Sony DSC-W800

Most of the little compact DSLRs work fine, but I wanted something a bit more advanced, but I'm struggling to get the Nikon D50 to work, despite having 2 tutorials with @stickytape last week.

So with the cameras THAT DO work, just use those until you can use a camera and learn how to use it and focus right. For Comic Con you don't have much time as it starts soon I think. Tomorrow I'm off to shoot a gig in a pub with two cameras that I have learnt how to use. I read a lot about a camera I use even to this day plus I watch a lot of YouTube to help and then I might ask in the forum for help if and when I need it.

BUT you’ve started yet another thread! Anyone who wasn’t following the other(s) wil not know what you have done :(

I did say you should have taken the D50 to Harrison’s for them to check their lens on it which would have told you if the camera was faulty.

However, you are still not being clear about the original purchase of the D50 +Sigma lens. You are still mentioning the seller but you are supposed to be returning camera + lens via eBay returns.

When you have done that and got your money back you can buy the D50 from Harrisons for £30 as suggested in the other thread and by @troutfisher above.

Cameras I already own.

Canon SX IS 20
Nikon Coolpix L20
Nikon D50
Sony DSC-W800

sell all the junk and buy 1 camera. Stick with it and stop asking over and over about other cameras. all the rubbish you have purchased combined would be the total for a reasonably decent camera.

I also think it's unfair for you to open a dispute on ebay when potentially it's you at fault, rather than the camera. I absolutely hate it when people do this to me. Its not on at all.

sell all the junk and buy 1 camera. Stick with it and stop asking over and over about other cameras. all the rubbish you have purchased combined would be the total for a reasonably decent camera.

I also think it's unfair for you to open a dispute on ebay when potentially it's you at fault, rather than the camera. I absolutely hate it when people do this to me. Its not on at all.
Sorry but you are wrong! This is spread over several threads and he’s been helped by @stickytape who has declared the lens to be faulty and hence he should return via eBay since the seller “does not accept returns”.

The reason I opened an eBay dispute last week is because I was told on here that the lens on the original D50 is faulty, confirmed by a sales guy up at Harrisons yesterday who said it wasn't even a real lens! (you what?)

Okay.....

I'll admit I've given a few slightly sarcastic replies in your other threads.....

But hear me out, this is my honest advice to help you out.

In my opinion of course.

Firstly! Return THROUGH EBAY the faulty D50 and lens.
If you have a Nikon kit zoom lens (which I'm not sure on tbh) then take to Harrisons and buy a camera body for it - the £30 one.

Do not buy anything else! No more point and shoot cameras, no lenses. NOTHING!

Take the cameras you have already and take pictures with them, indoors side by side, same scene, same lighting etc

See which one is the best. Give that one 3 points :) Give the next one 2, etc

Go outside and do the same. Mark them again for performance.

Then you get a bit more technical.

See which one

Focuses the best?
Feels the best to use?
Is easiest to use?
Fits in your pocket?
What batteries do they take?
Zoom range?

Write ALL of these things down, make some notes.

Hopefully by putting in a few hours worth of effort, you can find out which one of your current cameras work best for you.

I don't suggest going outside this weekend though with Storm Eunice coming through ;)

Okay.....

I'll admit I've given a few slightly sarcastic replies in your other threads.....

But hear me out, this is my honest advice to help you out.

In my opinion of course.

If you have a Nikon kit zoom lens (which I'm not sure on tbh) then take to Harrisons and buy a camera body for it - the £30 one.

Take the cameras you have already and take pictures with them, indoors side by side, same scene, same lighting etc

See which one is the best. Give that one 3 points :) Give the next one 2, etc

Go outside and do the same. Mark them again for performance.

Then you get a bit more technical.

See which one

Focuses the best?
Feels the best to use?
Is easiest to use?
Fits in your pocket?
What batteries do they take?
Zoom range?

Write ALL of these things down, make some notes.

Hopefully by putting in a few hours worth of effort, you can find out which one of your current cameras work best for you.

I don't suggest going outside this weekend though with Storm Eunice coming through ;)

Great advice Lee.

What exactly was wrong with the Canon that's first in the list?
Looks to me like that could be used to learn more about photography.

Still don't agree with those recommending you buy a DSLR, brought nothing but agro thus far
Nikon D50 is a very old design which won't record the video you desire, but hey its your money.

:agree:

What exactly was wrong with the Canon that's first in the list?
Looks to me like that could be used to learn more about photography.

Still don't agree with those recommending you buy a DSLR, brought nothing but agro thus far
Nikon D50 is a very old design which won't record the video you desire, but hey its your money.
I do agree with you and have said so in various threads. We’ve seen the pics it takes (on Flickr) so know it works. He just needs to say how he wants to improve them (if at all) and go from there.

Sadly, most people, as usual, tend to be biased towards what they would use rather than the OP.

There are too many cooks in these threads … but I don’t know the answer to that.
:(

The OP has a limited budget and AFAIK some thought that a smartphone would be better for vid than any camera in the OP's price range.

Cameras I already own.

Canon SX IS 20
Nikon Coolpix L20
Nikon D50
Sony DSC-W800

I think the fact you already have that Canon has got lost in the earlier threads. It looks to me it will do everything you want!
Here are some shots from it on Flickr:
As always with Flickr, click through to see the quality of the images (the previews don't do them justice). Some of these are excellent. If you aren't yet happy with the shots you are taking with this camera, concentrate on learning how to get the best out of it (I don't think you'll find this easier with a differerent camera). I'm sure people here will help. You have a lens that will take you all the way from extreme close-ups to distant long lens shots, and everything in between.

It also does perfectly good video, like this random example from Youtube:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1xAkXrdhpc

Last edited:
I think the fact you already have that Canon has got lost in the earlier threads. It looks to me it will do everything you want!
As always with Flickr, click through to see the quality of the images (the previews don't do them justice). Some of these are excellent. If you aren't yet happy with the shots you are taking with this camera, concentrate on learning how to get the best out of it (I don't think you'll find this easier with a differerent camera). I'm sure people here will help. You have a lens that will take you all the way from extreme close-ups to distant long lens shots, and everything in between.

To be fair the Canon's produced some nice shots and only cost me about 20 quid from CEX about 2 and half years ago.

Couldn’t agree more (and have said it repeatedly). His phone which is a current decent, albeit not great, model plus the SX20 should cover everything and once he’s sorted out how best to use the SX20 he could think about a later similar bridge camera of which there are plenty.

To be fair the Canon's produced some nice shots and only cost me about 20 quid from CEX about 2 and half years ago.
Then stick with it and start learning how to use it and improve the results, if you think you need to, by asking on here!

Reactions: Nod
I do agree with you and have said so in various threads. We’ve seen the pics it takes (on Flickr) so know it works. He just needs to say how he wants to improve them (if at all) and go from there.

Sadly, most people, as usual, tend to be biased towards what they would use rather than the OP.

There are too many cooks in these threads … but I don’t know the answer to that.
:(
I agree. In my very honest and humble opinion, at this time in Rich's photographic career, I believe he would be better off with a half decent point and shoot compact. Forget DSLRs for now.

Get yourself a couple of sets of rechargeable AA's and go use the Canon.
Try the various settings like aperture and shutter speed, maybe start with the Program (P)
That suggests an optimal setting, but you can still alter it to see what effect it has.
Spend the time taking photos rather than messing about with all this other old tat

I agree. In my very honest and humble opinion, at this time in Rich's photographic career, I believe he would be better off with a half decent point and shoot compact. Forget DSLRs for now.

Hope that Rich isn't me although maybe that ain't such a bad idea :)

The thing is, how much does a half decent compact cost?

Back