I thought some of these were remarkable..

as someone of a similar age, it's vaguely distressing to think that the lads standing in the tube train doorway trying to look menacing (for teenies at least) are pretty much all in their late 50's...

as someone of a similar age, it's vaguely distressing to think that the lads standing in the tube train doorway trying to look menacing (for teenies at least) are pretty much all in their late 50's...
It's even more distressing to be reminded that United were beaten 3-2 by Arsenal in the last minute of the 79 FA cup final... no wonder those poor lads looked so cheesed off!

If you like your 70s/80s, I can also recommend Daniel Meadows (Now & Then is fab) and if you (like me) grew up in High Wycombe, then Gavin Watson's "Skins and Punks" is also a very interesting social journey.

Well I can remember disabled war veterans standing outside stations with a tray selling matches...like the girls in cinemas in the interlude (or during the film) selling popcorn etc....erm do they still do that as I haven't been to the cinema for years.

I remember smoking on the tube - I commuted on the Central Line for a while, the smoking carriages were the third from each end of the train. I can't imagine how awful that must have been now.

like the girls in cinemas in the interlude (or during the film) selling popcorn etc....erm do they still do that as I haven't been to the cinema for years.
They didn't last time I went, and there was no 'support film' either!

I remember smoking on the tube - I commuted on the Central Line for a while, the smoking carriages were the third from each end of the train. I can't imagine how awful that must have been now.
I was a smoker and tube commuter in that period. Although I never smoked on the tube (too crowded mostly) I always travelled I the smoking carriages ... just in case we got stuck in the tunnel :D. However, when I stopped smoking in 1974 I started travelling in the non-smokers and was taken aback by the bright colours of the upholstery and the cleanliness of the wooden floors!

I was a smoker and tube commuter in that period. Although I never smoked on the tube (too crowded mostly) I always travelled I the smoking carriages ... just in case we got stuck in the tunnel :D. However, when I stopped smoking in 1974 I started travelling in the non-smokers and was taken aback by the bright colours of the upholstery and the cleanliness of the wooden floors!
It's a bit like a traditional pub, the walls don't seem to be painted in that familiar shade of fagnolia anymore!

Back