I Turned a Camper Into a Giant Camera and Portable Darkroom

Amazing results! I don't know why i expected it would be a wider lens. That great portraits.

There is no logical explanation for what some humans do.....I suppose this would come under a hobby or a massive bit of fun. ;)

I love it, a brilliant idea and great fun.

Why climb Everest? Because you can.
Why make a camera out of a caravan? Because you can.

But, but... I can't! ;)

That's so cool. I want a caravan camera now, haha! Great idea to incorporate the developing into the caravan itself too. Thanks for sharing!

Well I get the first person to do something but to millions it does seem a bit odd what he is doing...anyway what ever turns you on, like that guy with a LF camera wanting to photograph all the life boat crews in the UK.

Thats pretty cool, the only downside I can see with it is you lose the interaction with the sitter (stander?) you basically tell them to stand there and lock your self in side so far as I can tell.

Thats pretty cool, the only downside I can see with it is you lose the interaction with the sitter (stander?) you basically tell them to stand there and lock your self in side so far as I can tell.
That's true, could be why some of the shots have movement in the sitters - harder to tell them to be still!
Great idea though, hopefully he can get hold of some sheet film - kodak do it made to measure on special orders http://www.canhamcameras.com/kodakfilm.html

First thought is to say stupid prat, but its kept him amused for not much cash and looks like some others are enjoying it too

So well done mate, good old bit of the eccentric behaviour we are known and loved for around the world, well known anyway.

Hate to be pedantic, well I don't really, but its a caravan, not a camper.

TBH, I found most of the shots from the thing rather uninspiring both technically and artistically. I can see that paper negs will result in the higher contrast look that the majority seem to have and that the unwieldiness (wow! Spellcheck didn't pick up on that!) of the rig makes composition rather fixed. Add to that the relatively insensitive "film's" long exposure requirement and it sort of begs the question "Why portraits?" He might just as well have stuck his camera/shed on a trailer to get it to a fixed location (and Exeter quay has far better backgrounds than he's used...). Not sure if he has plans to take it on tour and shoot some landscapes with it but I hope so!

The thing I like most about this is it seems to have drawn people to his camera whereas I usually find people look at street photographers with a certain amount of suspicion as if they are weird or up to something bad.

Back