I want a 30D

Steep

Nutcrack Rapids
Name
Hugh
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just decided!

Well that's not exactly true it's been creeping up on me for some time, my 300d is annoying me in so far as it's crap for IR shots which I love to do and it seems to have an awful lot of sensor noise on any long exposures.

The thing is I can buy a 30D from Canon outlet on eBay for around 500-540 refurb'd or I can go with Warehouse express at £740 less the £100 cashback making it £640. Both have a 1yr guarantee.

Obviously Canon outlet is going to be about £100 cheaper, but Warehouse express will do '10% down and pay the rest in 10 months'. I do have the money now, though I'd be dipping into the emergency just in case a typhoon hits fund to get it.

What should I do?

I've got a spend on and I need to buy something fast!

I've just decided!

Well that's not exactly true it's been creeping up on me for some time, my 300d is annoying me in so far as it's crap for IR shots which I love to do and it seems to have an awful lot of sensor noise on any long exposures.

The thing is I can buy a 30D from Canon outlet on eBay for around 500-540 refurb'd or I can go with Warehouse express at £740 less the £100 cashback making it £640. Both have a 1yr guarantee.

Obviously Canon outlet is going to be about £100 cheaper, but Warehouse express will do '10% down and pay the rest in 10 months'. I do have the money now, though I'd be dipping into the emergency just in case a typhoon hits fund to get it.

What should I do?

I've got a spend on and I need to buy something fast!

:LOL: You have the same 'justification for spend' issues as me. :help:

I'd always be a little wary of reburbs - its been refurbed for a reason:thinking:

£640 is a good deal, but I'd still shop around a little; there seems to be some good deals in most of the mags now....

Either way, damn good camera:love:

Wait until focus next month, you'll more than likely get the best deal you can find here and you'll be able to save up more money in the mean time...win win.

Won't be able to get to Focus and the cashback offer ends on 31st Jan :(

Ow, somebody got carried away, one of Canon Outlets refurbs I was watching on eBay just went for £638.00, he could have got it for that price new!

Get it from WE! It'll be new, you'll have no doubts about it's history, and the 9 months 0% credit is too convenient not to take advantage of.

Aye true, but it means I'll have to wait till the morning to order it, what am I going to do meantime??

Aye true, but it means I'll have to wait till the morning to order it, what am I going to do meantime??

Actually, they send you the agreement forms to sign first, but they turn the whole thing round by return of post.

RassinFrassin-out-of-stock-smileydotgif :(

Would it not be worth asking StuvUK who sold one of these around Christmas:
  • Canon 30D Kit £700 (£600 with the cashback offer)
to see if he could get you one? Or even PM Kerso (though you seem to want it yesterday so both/either might be out of the question)
Paul ;)

I really don't want to dip into the emergency fund, WE's buy now pay for it in 10 months would have been perfect. I'll wait a while, I suspect that a 40D is just around the corner (as that's the usual reason for Canon doing a cashback offer) and I might be able to pick up the 30D even cheaper then.

Another reason to avoid the Canon Outlet is that should you need to return the item its policy is refund only, no replacements - so you would then have to look for another camera should a fault develop.

Buy new - especially when talking about those kinds of differences in price, the WE deal looks like a winner, hope you get one soon (y)

I suspect that a 40D is just around the corner (as that's the usual reason for Canon doing a cashback offer) and I might be able to pick up the 30D even cheaper then.

Spot on..

I am wanting a second body and going to see what happens after the new releases are announced.;)

Just so you know, the 30D is fairly carp for IR.
The hot filter infront of the sensor is very good = very low IR sensitivity.

Just so you know, the 30D is fairly carp for IR.
The hot filter infront of the sensor is very good = very low IR sensitivity.

I would agree with that (y). On my 20D shutter speeds generally hover around the 5min mark (iso400 f8) for IR shots taken during the day under sunny weather.

I dunno guys, I've seen some of Pete Carrs efforts. I don't mind a five minute shutter as long as the image is not wiped out by sensor noise.

Hi,

Try (Ian ) Kerso, he was going to do me a great deal on one a few weeks back but I eventually gave up on the idea once I'd seen what Chrimbo had cost me/us.

Drop him an email, might be worth it.

Mike.

I dunno guys, I've seen some of Pete Carrs efforts. I don't mind a five minute shutter as long as the image is not wiped out by sensor noise.

Pap doesn't mean that it's undoable - I've seen some ace IR shots from the 20D / 30D - made even more impressive as I know how challenging a camera to use for IR it is.

Pete uses almost (if not totally) exclusively his 10D for IR work. Older camera, not as effective hot filter, better for IR.

It's the same with Nikon's - D70 / D50 / D100 are all ace for IR. The D200 is utter carp for it, and I've read uncomfirmed reports that the D80 is, too.

I'd go out on a limb and say that, the 300D, being older and a lower end body should be better than the 30D for IR photography. I don't actually know any 300D IR shooters, so can't confirm that - but I'd be surprised if it wasn't the case.

I'm not trying to deter you from getting a 30D - it's a cracking camera, no doubt. But I'm just trying to advise you against getting one for the wrong reasons.

I haven't yet tried my 30D for IR, everything I've done as with the 10D and various lenses resulted in various exposure times. The 50mm being the shortest and best for IR.

IR work is certainly possible on a 20D (and the 30D should be very much the same given the extremely similar nature of the two models), here's one of mine but you do need a sturdy tripod and a remote shutter release.

MG_6840.jpg

Canon 20D, 17-40 f4L
iso400, 19mm, f8
500 sec shutter (16min total, 8+8 processing)

The IR filter I have is a completely black one so it cuts out all non-IR light, for a 20D I probably would be better off with something less severe. Like the red tinted ones.

I haven't yet tried my 30D for IR, everything I've done as with the 10D and various lenses resulted in various exposure times. The 50mm being the shortest and best for IR.

Rats!

I have 3 different IR filters including a completely opaque one, my problem just now is that the 300d adds progressively more noise to a shot as the exposure increases and it soon becomes hopeless.

Digital IR ?

I own a 30D and have a 20D as a backup. Nice camera's I am glad I made the move from Sigma SD10's.

But can someone tell me in simple language how to do digital IR photography?

Thanks
Andrew

For digital IR photography you need a digital IR filter, there is several different ones that range in their intensity. My digital IR filter blocks out all non-IR light and is completely opaque. Here is my technique:

Camera Settings:
- Shoot in RAW (white balance is hard to manually, grass works but to set it perfectly raw is really a nessessity)
- use custom function to enable long exposure noise reduction. (Custom function 02 on a 20D)
- As the focusing can be slightly off with IR I tend to use a smallish aperture of f8
Set the camera on a tripod with a remote shutter (or timer) and focus without the filter.

1) Screw on the IR filter and set the camera to iso3200, take a test shot of 30sec and preview it on the viewfinder. It will have a strong magenta cast but ignoring the colour you should be able to see the exposure and if its under/over exposed.
I normally just use guess work and approximate the amount of stops over/under the shot is. If the 30sec preview is very overexposed or underexposed do another at either 15sec or 60sec.

2) Once you have figured out the correct exposure time at iso3200 count back the stops untill you reach a low iso, I use iso400 personally or else the shutter times are extremely long.

I.E. 30sec in iso3200 comes in as 1/2 stop under exposed.
overexpose by 1/2 stop = 45sec/iso3200
iso1600 = 90sec
iso800 = 160sec
iso400 = 320sec
iso200 = 640sec
iso100 = 1280sec

I normally pick iso400 as its grain is ok and 5min is long enough when you take the noise reduction time as well.

3) This leaves you with a image with a strong magenta cast, open the raw file and set the white balance using the eyedrop tool on something neutral, it takes some playing about to get the image right. The images you get will be Colour IR's, the sky usually takes a torquoise/green appearance and plants and grass appear white. These images can be converted as normal into monochrome images for the more usual IR look.

I quite often would take a colour shot from the same postion, I have tried blending the Colour and IR together but I have yet got an effect I liked.

Colour IR:
ISO400, 29mm, f8, 400sec
MG_6828.jpg

Mole dude. That's a great explanation and a lovely shot

Thanks! I should probably expand it a bit more and write it into a proper tutorial in its own thread.

You should yes!

Well the bullet has been bit.

After way too much humming and hawing I phoned warehouse express today and ordered a 30d

I decided that while a 40d might be great it would mean waiting possibly months for release and stock and the price would be too high. The 30d is plenty of camera for me and I hope I'll be able to do it justice.

WE have two great offers on just now, one they will price match plus 25% of the difference and they are doing 12 months interest free credit. When I called this morning and told them Bristol cameras price of £669 they checked and said that's fine we'll match it. My price delivered was £678.51 which I'm very happy with :)

The 12 months credit is good too, no set payments, you pay what you like when you like, as long as you are paid in full by the end of the 12 months it's interest free. He was good enough to warn me to be sure to pay it off in time because any interest incurred would be back dated.

The hard part now is waiting a week or so for the paperwork to go through before the camera can be sent :(

yay!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Good on ya Steep - you will SO not regret the purchase! :)

City Link

17:54 Monday, March 5, 2007 Goods collected
19:19 Monday, March 5, 2007 On route to delivery branch

I'm so excited!! :D

gratz steep, as one new member of this club to another, I'm sure you'll have a great time using it :)

(y) (y) :clap: :clap: (y) (y) :)

Back