I Wonder if anyone fancies a studio day?

Name
Andy Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
Whilst in Manchester o Saturday we were wandering around Fred Aldous, just waiting until Real Cameras opened, and I noticed they have a studio.

http://www.fredaldous.co.uk/photo-studio-hire-manchester/

Not too expensive and an easy walk from Piccadilly station. Any thoughts?

Andy

H'mm for me, any studio shots of young women and my wife would call me "a dirty old man". :rolleyes: maybe worse with a male model :D

Looks like it's continuous lighting... Is that what you were after?

Looks like it's continuous lighting... Is that what you were after?

Actually I have no idea how flashes work so continuous lighting makes much more sense to me, simpler just how I like it.

H'mm for me, any studio shots of young women and my wife would call me "a dirty old man". :rolleyes: maybe worse with a male model :D

Well Brian we could use a tailor's dummy. :D

Going back to your serious point Andy (which most people seem to be studiously avoiding!), £15 per hour doesn't include a model, or any advice AFAICS. And the lights seem to be specifically for product shoots unless I've misunderstood.

There's a bit of a problem with using a film camera for learning in something completely new (to me) like this, in that I won't have any idea what I've done for a week or so afterwards. If you've already got some skills in studio work, it would be useful, I guess. So I'm kind of tempted but probably not something I'd get much out of, apart from the beer and the laughs of course! :beer::banana::D

The sensible thing to do would be to use flash with a digital to start. Get a rough idea of what's working then carry on with film.

Studio with darkroom facilities or somewhere close to a half decent one hour processor and scan would be OK to get some rough cuts.

Going back to your serious point Andy (which most people seem to be studiously avoiding!), £15 per hour doesn't include a model, or any advice AFAICS. And the lights seem to be specifically for product shoots unless I've misunderstood.

There's a bit of a problem with using a film camera for learning in something completely new (to me) like this, in that I won't have any idea what I've done for a week or so afterwards. If you've already got some skills in studio work, it would be useful, I guess. So I'm kind of tempted but probably not something I'd get much out of, apart from the beer and the laughs of course! :beer::banana::D

Scroll down.............. the main studio appears to have Bowens strobes as well as the constant lighting for the products.

However you do pay for the backdrop by the metre and you can hire their Canon 7D if you want digital. They also appear to sell dev kit/darkroom supplies if you need that too.

Might be worth contacting them to see just what is included. Fred Aldous Ltd, 37 Lever Street, Manchester, M1 1LW – email: studio@fredaldous.net – phone: 0161 236 4224

Scroll down.............. the main studio appears to have Bowens strobes as well as the constant lighting for the products.

However you do pay for the backdrop by the metre and you can hire their Canon 7D if you want digital. They also appear to sell dev kit/darkroom supplies if you need that too.

Might be worth contacting them to see just what is included. Fred Aldous Ltd, 37 Lever Street, Manchester, M1 1LW – email: studio@fredaldous.net – phone: 0161 236 4224

Yep, there is a proper portrait bit with back drops. If we get 7 or 8 of us it would be reasonably priced. We could hire a model but my original thought was to just take it in turns shooting our own ugly mugs. I plan to take a digital as a check.
They have a plan to move the studio later this year to a larger space in the same shop, not sure when. The shop is excellent, lots of interesting crafty things and a good selection of Ilford products.

I'd like to try some studio work and working with others might help mitigate the common mistakes I'd be likely to make on my own! Unfortunately I won't be able to commit to anything for the next couple of months - when were you thinking of doing this?

I'd like to try some studio work and working with others might help mitigate the common mistakes I'd be likely to make on my own! Unfortunately I won't be able to commit to anything for the next couple of months - when were you thinking of doing this?

Not really given any thought to a timescale. Spring, maybe April? It might be worth my while asking the shop when they intend to move the studio.

Model: the cost might grind, but having a professional model who knows how to pose with little direction would yield the best results. Alternatively find a part timer local to Manc, maybe even a student at the Uni who is not completely green who would be cheaper than a Pro.

( I had heard that Cindy Crawford has a lot of time on her hands now she has retired from the circuit). :D

As an alternative, I might be able to get something together in a proper studio on the north side of Sheffield, with Bowens etc, but you guys would have to travel?

Maybe I set this up anyway as an 'additional alternative' for those on the dry side of the Pennines. :eek:

Hmm, I hope nobody minds if I make my position clear on this. It's purely a personal thing and I'm sure plenty will disagree.

I think hiring a young female model is about the cheesiest bad taste thing it's possible to do. Cheesier than a cheese coated cheese puff with extra cheese.

Sorry.

Hmm, I hope nobody minds if I make my position clear on this. It's purely a personal thing and I'm sure plenty will disagree.

I think hiring a young female model is about the cheesiest bad taste thing it's possible to do. Cheesier than a cheese coated cheese puff with extra cheese.

Sorry.

So, and forgive me if I've misunderstood, you don't think hiring a model is a good idea? :naughty:

Agree with himself. I'm actually doing a portrait thing with a model on Friday. Some wedding photographer. Outdoors though so I'd assume no studio lights.

Perhaps a much older model would be better? 50 something rather than 20 something?

Agree with himself. I'm actually doing a portrait thing with a model on Friday. Some wedding photographer. Outdoors though so I'd assume no studio lights.

Perhaps a much older model would be better? 50 something rather than 20 something?
I'm over 50 and very photogenic

I could be interested but only in the product photography side of things. Models, however scantily dressed, just don't float my boat. (Who mentioned cheese?)

I could be interested but only in the product photography side of things. Models, however scantily dressed, just don't float my boat. (Who mentioned cheese?)

A cheese photography workshop........???? Cool so long as we don't use stinking bishop.

Huh I don't know what you guys are squabbling about as the idea I would have thought would be to get experience...so just get a decent looking young girl and say no nudity required (should be cheaper and more choice), if you want experience with an older woman she wont be very pleased seeing crows feet and lines around the mouth and diffusers are needed (yanno Hollywood style). With a man loads of furrows (even scars) a sorta face like Walter Matthau can be interesting OR you can always hire me :D
..and you don't need a studio for still life as plenty of guys here do it at home.

Well get an ugly girl with zits then :D I would have thought plenty of students looking for spare cash..... and it's all about learning the basics of studio flash e.g main flash on one side (maybe with white umbrella) second flash at the other side say half power (maybe with white umbrella) and getting the shadow under the nose just right and maybe lighting the back or top of the hair and maybe a spotlight on the back ground and diffusers etc etc

One of my first newbie shots (about 1964) when my friend got me into EMI photography club (just once)... wouldn't win any comps but I liked them and started me off on the basics on how to get decent results.

Last edited:
:rolleyes: you wish!:D

Good looking, Charismatic and generally perfectly formed is what is needed as a model.........I'm here!!!!! :cool::D:D

..... a challenge to turn a sow's ear of a face to a silk purse. :D

Last edited:
be
..... a challenge to turn a sow's ear of a face to a silk purse. :D

Have you got plenty of friends??.......cos you've one less now!:bat::p:D

I'll have you know that according to what mum told me, I was quite an ugly baby:(, but the midwife said that the less beautiful ones often turn out to be the best looking as they age;) ............Voila, here i am at 47 years old, drop dead gorgeous:cool: with women falling at my feet:whistle::D

be

Have you got plenty of friends??.......cos you've one less now!:bat::p:D

I'll have you know that according to what mum told me, I was quite an ugly baby:(, but the midwife said that the less beautiful ones often turn out to be the best looking as they age;) ............Voila, here i am at 47 years old, drop dead gorgeous:cool: with women falling at my feet:whistle::D

Generally with shock.... :whistle:

:D
My son sent me a sketch for my birthday......where a man was looking miserable slumped in a chair and the man thinks "at least the dog loves me" and the dog nearby is thinking "C###" :D

Last edited:
Back