I would like another compact camera

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
I may be suffering from GAS, I don't know. But I would like another compact camera. I already have a Canon G7X mk 2, I do like the camera and I do use it most days. But I would like something slightly different, something with a more hands on feel to it. Probably looking at pre owned. Yes, I probably am suffering from GAS. So not looking for any smart a*se and snide replies. If done in jest, then that is OK. ;)

Last edited:
Join the club John , just bought a Nikon D300S for nostalgias sake now need lenses :banana: why do we do it LOL

Got a yearning for another Ricoh GX200 even though I know I will break the screen again! (broke 3 already)
They are a good hands on compact camera though, capable of surprisingly good results in the right condition and can be had for under £100.

I quite like the Panasonic TZ100. It has a 1" sensor, a loooong range zoom (24-25mm?? Something like that...) and full manual control with lots of customisation possible.

Other than that I also liked the Panasonic LF1 I had and stupidly gave away. That camera had a wide aperture lens but sadly it also had an on/off switch that was waaaay too easy to accidentally hit.

Join the club John , just bought a Nikon D300S for nostalgias sake now need lenses :banana: why do we do it LOL
That is another camera type, on my list. I have loads of old lenses, so they will not focus on my D3300. I was trying to buy a D90 last week, described as "immaculate condition, low shutter count, original box and contents. Turned out, was unsure where the box was, and the body looked very tatty. So I did not proceed any further.

Got a yearning for another Ricoh GX200 even though I know I will break the screen again! (broke 3 already)
They are a good hands on compact camera though, capable of surprisingly good results in the right condition and can be had for under £100.
I quite like the Panasonic TZ100. It has a 1" sensor, a loooong range zoom (24-25mm?? Something like that...) and full manual control with lots of customisation possible.

Other than that I also liked the Panasonic LF1 I had and stupidly gave away. That camera had a wide aperture lens but sadly it also had an on/off switch that was waaaay too easy to accidentally hit.
Thing is, they are the same configuration, and probably the same feel, and handling as my Canon G7X. I want something more hands on, such as physical controls. Not too keen on flippy out screens on a camera either, I think this just adds to the bulk, and breakability of a camera.

Last edited:
Thing is, they are the same configuration, and probably the same feel, and handling as my Canon G7X. I want something more hands on, such as physical controls. Not too keen on flippy out screens on a camera either, I think this just adds to the bulk, and breakability of a camera.

I do think that the breakability of flip out screens may be an internet thing. I've had a few now and have never had a breakage and I don't remember reading any instances on the net either. Whatever. Neither the TZ100 or LF1 have flip out screens and both have physical controls. The LF1 is a credit card footprint sort of thing whilst the TZ100 is bigger.

You'll have to have a think and decide exactly what you're looking for. If you want more physical controls than the TZ100 has you may have to look at something old, made of iron and from the early film era :D Honestly though, any top end "compact" or compactish camera will have physical controls for shutter and aperture and perhaps exposure compensation and focusing too (but fly by wire for the latter as are many lenses these days.) I know the TZ100 has all of these things.

Another thing you could do, as this is GAS rather than an actual need, is get a cheap small MFT camera and mount a cheap film era manual lens on it. You can have a lot of fun with something like that.

Last edited:
I may be suffering from GAS, I don't know. But I would like another compact camera. I already have a Canon G7X mk 2, I do like the camera and I do use it most days. But I would like something slightly different, something with a more hands on feel to it. Probably looking at pre owned. Yes, I probably am suffering from GAS. So not looking for any smart a*se and snide replies. If done in jest, then that is OK. ;)

I have a boxed Ex cond LF1 (see woof woof's endorsement above) I have been thinking of advertising because I have recently acquired the brilliant Panasonic GM5. If your interested I will list it on the For sale forum.

Read more here: https://www.panasonic.com/uk/consum...ameras/premium-compact-cameras/dmc-lf1eb.html

I have a boxed Ex cond LF1 (see woof woof's endorsement above) I have been thinking of advertising because I have recently acquired the brilliant Panasonic GM5. If your interested I will list it on the For sale forum.

Read more here: https://www.panasonic.com/uk/consum...ameras/premium-compact-cameras/dmc-lf1eb.html
If you decide to sell it can you let me know as I gave mine to my sister who was crying for a camera and when I looked for another I couldn't find one anywhere. Well done on finding a GM5, that's another hard to find buy desirable camera.

That is another camera type, on my list. I have loads of old lenses, so they will not focus on my D3300. I was trying to buy a D90 last week, described as "immaculate condition, low shutter count, original box and contents. Turned out, was unsure where the box was, and the body looked very tatty. So I did not proceed any further.
you really need the minimum of a d300 or 300s to handle the old lenses , I already have a nikkor 50mm f1.4 and a vivitar 200mm f3.5 both super sharp m/f lenses that swayed me towards Nikon rather than canon

I do think that the breakability of flip out screens may be an internet thing. I've had a few now and have never had a breakage and I don't remember reading any instances on the net either. Whatever. Neither the TZ100 or LF1 have flip out screens and both have physical controls. The LF1 is a credit card footprint sort of thing whilst the TZ100 is bigger.

You'll have to have a think and decide exactly what you're looking for. If you want more physical controls than the TZ100 has you may have to look at something old, made of iron and from the early film era :D Honestly though, any top end "compact" or compactish camera will have physical controls for shutter and aperture and perhaps exposure compensation and focusing too (but fly by wire for the latter as are many lenses these days.) I know the TZ100 has all of these things.

Another thing you could do, as this is GAS rather than an actual need, is get a cheap small MFT camera and mount a cheap film era manual lens on it. You can have a lot of fun with something like that.
I already know what type and style. something on the lines of the LX100 possibly. Probably pre owned, unless a leave it for a while, and start saving hard. :)

I know the feeling! Currently got a Sony HX90V but if budget affo0red would beryls much like th eRX10 6 with the 24-200 or the penny TZ100/200

Will have to keep eyes open!

you really need the minimum of a d300 or 300s to handle the old lenses , I already have a nikkor 50mm f1.4 and a vivitar 200mm f3.5 both super sharp m/f lenses that swayed me towards Nikon rather than canon
That will be next on my to get list, after I have sorted a compact out. :)

X-?0? The baby Fujis all give good results - the only reason I went for a TZ100 as well is that it slips into a shirt pocket which the X?0 compacts just don't (other than the XF which has a limited zoom compared to the TZ.)

View media item 13432
Walked past Jessops yesterday, I was going to go in. I have been in before, but last time I was in, it felt a little clique.
I was going to have a look at the compacts, but I ended up walking past, and getting something to eat instead.

I do like the layout of the Panasonic LX100. All the controls to hand, so easy to change. I really would like something, on the lines of that camera.

I'm kind of the same with compacts. I'm not too fussed about absolute size or IQ, I just like them to be tactile and fun to use and a change from using the oh-so-serious DSLR. At present I have a Fuji X100t and an Olympus E-M5ii. I admit neither are especially compact but both are miles smaller than a DSLR so they serve that purpose for me. The X100t is for family days out mainly but I do love taking it out just for the sake of it too as it's such a great shooting experience. Any Fuji qualifies in that regard but the X100 series turn it up to 11 with the fixed prime and OVF/EVF hybrid. The Olympus is an all weather, IBIS equipped, do it all camera. Just does pretty much everything well. Mainly used outdoors in the mountains but gets plenty of use around the house too. Battery life is appalling though! I realise there are better cameras than both of these, certainly better compact cameras but I love shooting with these and that means they score highly in my book. Sony RX100 series are more sensible but I cannot get excited about the them. LX100 is nice too, always thought I should try one of those. Oh and the Fuji X30. Tiny sensor, but great shooting experience.

D90 is fine for MF and older lenses. Very little different to the D300 I that regard.

the fuji x100 (the 1st one) is ace and really hands on, produces great images and fun to use. looks good to as a bonus.

the fuji x100 (the 1st one) is ace and really hands on, produces great images and fun to use. looks good to as a bonus.
Yes I agree, a lovely looking thing and with all the controls to hand. But a 23mm lens, a little limiting. Especially for me, who does not like to get up close. :)

Last edited:
Yes I agree, a lovely looking thing and with all the controls to hand. But a 23mm lens, a little limiting. Especially for me, who does not like to get up close. :)
35mm equiv lens that makes an ace walkabout lens. tbh as an option the x100 crops well anyway as its lens is very good. do you want fixed or zoom and whats your budget+wish list for it

35mm equiv lens that makes an ace walkabout lens. tbh as an option the x100 crops well anyway as its lens is very good. do you want fixed or zoom and whats your budget+wish list for it
With xmas shopping not a great deal, will have to see what I have left after the onslaught. :(

I do like the layout of the Panasonic LX100. All the controls to hand, so easy to change. I really would like something, on the lines of that camera.

Just get one. It's probably the best compact on the market with the exception of the LX100 MkII.

Panny LX100 did me proud in New York last month. Its a solid camera, no flippy out screen and chunky controls. You might be able to find my post on it. I'm on my phone so can't add links sorry.

I had the TZ100 really didn’t like it (something about the image quality and handling) and off loaded it. I picked up a used LX100, great image quality and handling

I had the TZ100 really didn’t like it (something about the image quality and handling) and off loaded it. I picked up a used LX100, great image quality and handling
I don't like the TZ100 either. I don't like the look or layout of the camera, it looks like a little block. I want to get away from that sort of design, I don't like how that type of camera feels in the hand.

I'm kind of the same with compacts. I'm not too fussed about absolute size or IQ, I just like them to be tactile and fun to use and a change from using the oh-so-serious DSLR. At present I have a Fuji X100t and an Olympus E-M5ii. I admit neither are especially compact but both are miles smaller than a DSLR so they serve that purpose for me. The X100t is for family days out mainly but I do love taking it out just for the sake of it too as it's such a great shooting experience. Any Fuji qualifies in that regard but the X100 series turn it up to 11 with the fixed prime and OVF/EVF hybrid. The Olympus is an all weather, IBIS equipped, do it all camera. Just does pretty much everything well. Mainly used outdoors in the mountains but gets plenty of use around the house too. Battery life is appalling though! I realise there are better cameras than both of these, certainly better compact cameras but I love shooting with these and that means they score highly in my book. Sony RX100 series are more sensible but I cannot get excited about the them. LX100 is nice too, always thought I should try one of those. Oh and the Fuji X30. Tiny sensor, but great shooting experience.

I too am looking for something that is fun to use, and I will also look at other options. At the moment, I am keeping an open mind. :)

Been sufferin the Gas, Ms d00d enquired what do I want for xmas, soon realised it's time to venture into the world of M43.

GX80 + nifty kit pancake ... excellent value at £400. ......... (There's also the more pocketable GX800 kit for a mere £300)

The 12-32 nifty kit pancake is highly rated, but the 45-150 has been glued to the body from day one.

Next up .... a fast prime .. the 25mm f/1.7 me thinks.

:D

I am keeping an open mind. :)

Last edited:
how about a Sony a6000?

Back