Ice Hockey photography thread - 2011/2012 season - Post your shots here

Here are a few from our game against Dundee last night. New boy Frankie Bakrlik made his home debut and got the Man of the Match.

All taken with the 1D mk IV and 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, shot at f/2.8 ISO 2500 with shutter speeds anywhere between 1/400 and 1/1250 (thanks to our uneven lighting). After previously deciding that I prefer shooting with primes, this combination has changed my mind - it just really works well for hockey.

As usual, I haven't processed these much - a couple of the more severe crops look like they could use a little noise reduction.

xMCT2890-XL.jpg

xMCT2891-XL.jpg

xMCT2981-XL.jpg

xMCT2987-XL.jpg

xMCT2993-XL.jpg

xMCT3018-XL.jpg

Last edited:
I was wondering why there's that one new pane of clear glass at Braehead.....

GRA_0114.jpg

Excuse the blurriness, but I was in the process of getting out the way at the time :LOL:

Love this shot - we've all been there when a puck flies past you and you've no idea whether it's about to hit or miss you!

My boxing day present from the Blaze v Devils game last year was a wayward stick in the face, and 4 stitches on the bench to close my eyebrow up. It wasn't that it hurt, it was more the mickey taking from the players and coach that made it worse!

The light looks nice in Braehead - some great shots in that collection.

Last edited:
Seems weird seeing Fulghy in a Steeler's shirt....

Thought you might find those couple a bit strange. Its always bizzare seeing your longer term players in someone else's shirt for the first time.

The pic of Legue (pic 49) is my favourite out of those.

Thanks, that's my favourite too. I kinda like the one of Fulgham looking over his shoulder too. I know pictures of people's back are generally a no no, but I think because a lot of his face is in the shot, it kinda works.

Great set Mark, im soooo envious of the lighting there!!!!

Here's a few from todays Telford Vs MK game, after a hard fought win last night in Basingstoke the guys deserved another 2 poiints today but just couldnt find the net.

Team was sporting a nice new christmas shirt which they will be wearing througout December, nice change from white!! Decided to stay defensive side for this game and focus on the D-men and netminder, just for a change!

D7K_1420 by Matt_Giles, on Flickr

D7K_1583 by Matt_Giles, on Flickr

D7K_1584 by Matt_Giles, on Flickr

D7K_1413 by Matt_Giles, on Flickr

D7K_1388 by Matt_Giles, on Flickr

D7K_1614 by Matt_Giles, on Flickr

Last edited:
:p

Time to collect the expodisc me thinks :LOL:

Love this shot - we've all been there when a puck flies past you and you've no idea whether it's about to hit or miss you!

My boxing day present from the Blaze v Devils game last year was a wayward stick in the face, and 4 stitches on the bench to close my eyebrow up. It wasn't that it hurt, it was more the mickey taking from the players and coach that made it worse!

The light is terrible, but nothing that can't be cured with a high iso and some tweaking of the wb :LOL:

Damm it! didnt realise you still had it, keep it till Sunday, could do with a new WB setting ;) , falling that will have to see if you can download and send WB to other D7k's

Nice shots as well, that blue isnt the best though (on the shirt not your shots :) ) 5 shirts gone already in pre auction buys £140ea !!.

"The light is terrible, but nothing that can't be cured with a high iso and some tweaking of the wb"

Whit you talking about man! The light in Braehead is the best indoor lighting i've ever shot in. I am getting 1/1000th at iso 800 - 1000 ....shoot in the Kelvin Hall arena then you'll know what bad light is.

Iain

Here are a few from our game against Dundee last night. New boy Frankie Bakrlik made his home debut and got the Man of the Match.

All taken with the 1D mk IV and 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, shot at f/2.8 ISO 2500 with shutter speeds anywhere between 1/400 and 1/1250 (thanks to our uneven lighting). After previously deciding that I prefer shooting with primes, this combination has changed my mind - it just really works well for hockey.

As usual, I haven't processed these much - a couple of the more severe crops look like they could use a little noise reduction.

Oh thats just not fair :crying::crying: :crying: Lighting in their looks awesome, doesnt detract though from the fact they are cracking photos. Tigers need to get into the playoffs, maybe get some good light shots !

Last edited:
I am jealous of some of these rinks! The lighting looks great. Unfortunately there are not many rinks down here, let alone well lit ones!

Mark, could I ask a favour? Would you mind posting the original of this shot up before cropping? I'm now trying to pay much more attention to the cropping of my photos, and am curious too see what the original image looked like before you cropped it down.

First ever ice hockey shoot - a few examples from last night's Solihull Barons V Coventry ENL Blaze match. Reasonably pleased with the results!

6461889223_33ca1d9780_z.jpg

6461888221_4e2db3a21f_z.jpg

6461892013_af05cbe92c_z.jpg

Thanks for the good advice on here! (y)

Andy

Some great shots there Andy - always a big fan of ice being sprayed on a shot - well done !!

I read Coventry are struggling financially mate, whats the low down over there??

I think some Telford contingents are planning a trip over on the 21st to try and lend some support to the Blaze seeing as though we have a pretty healthy relationship between the clubs. Ill try to find out a bit more info but might try and pop over with my camera too??

I read Coventry are struggling financially mate, whats the low down over there??

I think some Telford contingents are planning a trip over on the 21st to try and lend some support to the Blaze seeing as though we have a pretty healthy relationship between the clubs. Ill try to find out a bit more info but might try and pop over with my camera too??

Its very worrying. A strong Coventry team is important in the league. Alarm bells started ringing for me when they released Fulghum. Really happy to see him in a Steelers shirt but not at the expense of the Blaze. Really hope they can come through this. If I wasn't tied up this Saturday i'd have made the trip down to the Skydome for the game v the Steelers to show my support.

It's a tough time right now - gates are around 400 people a week down (400 x £16 is around £25,000 per month), plus sponsorship hasn't worked out like it should have.

Luckily, the fanbase looks as though it's responding - we need to fill the rink on Saturday, so fingers crossed people will vote with their feet and come along.

Be great to see some Telford folk over in Cov. Let me know if you're definitely coming and I'll meet you there & get you a beer in.

Mark, could I ask a favour? Would you mind posting the original of this shot up before cropping? I'm now trying to pay much more attention to the cropping of my photos, and am curious too see what the original image looked like before you cropped it down.

Here you go:

i-n2PB6Dp-X3.jpg

I just cropped out the D man on the left, cos it didn't add anything to the pic.

It's a tough time right now - gates are around 400 people a week down (400 x £16 is around £25,000 per month), plus sponsorship hasn't worked out like it should have.

Mis read at first - thought it said gates were 400 a week! Just shows how people not coming can make such a huge difference. Everyone is in the same boat at the moment, wish we, in Telford, could just get 400 a week. Hopefully things will turn out ok.

Here you go:

I just cropped out the D man on the left, cos it didn't add anything to the pic.

Thanks Mark, the cropping makes complete sense when you see the picture before it. Stars player is doing nothing but detracting from the main part of the picture.

Heres a few from monday nights uni league game, Southampton spitfires 6-4 win over Oxford (played at Basingstoke)

Had to use ISO 3200 @F2.8 (70-200) to get 1/400 or ISO 6400 @F4 on the 300mm!

Unhappy Netminder by J A Richardson Photography, on Flickr

Which way by J A Richardson Photography, on Flickr

Closing the door by J A Richardson Photography, on Flickr

Round the outside by J A Richardson Photography, on Flickr

Back the other way by J A Richardson Photography, on Flickr

Facey by J A Richardson Photography, on Flickr

Ok, tried something a little bit different - a slideshow video featuring our (Fife Flyers) netminder Garrett Zemlak. It's a link to my website. Resolution is an issue if switchig to full screen but I'll work on that tomorrow.

As per normal all feedback welcome.

http://www.ianbuchanphotography.com/garrett-zemlak-35---video.html

Like it Ian, definately gives a different way to view photos from a standard gallery. Ive done a few of these in the past and have recently tried putting one together for my sports photos here (also low res as it was a sample): http://youtu.be/7-mqHm2KHfc

Its definitely something im going to try again too

I like those Telford Christmas jerseys. Nicer than some of the ones we've had in Cov over recent years. There was a particularly nasty pink valentines jersey a season or two back...

I like those Telford Christmas jerseys. Nicer than some of the ones we've had in Cov over recent years. There was a particularly nasty pink valentines jersey a season or two back...

Yep they are nice, we had a valentine one - in pink as well. Was going to bid on a Christmas one when they go up for auction; But most have already been brought for £140ea. So doubt i will get one now; got my name and logo on the back though, which was a 'thankyou' from the club, just need to get a decent shot of it -(Matt ! ;-) )

Last edited:
Nice to meet up with Andy Beach - he came along to the Blaze v Steelers game last night at the Skydome. Good to meet up with a fellow snapper! Let's see your pics then, Andy :)

Back