Iceland Equipment List

I havnt had used any cash in any visits in the past few years. altho not sure how you'd pay the 200kr when they talk about they are a virtually cashless society. I'd be happy paying 200kr for the toilets as long as the money was being used to help infrastructure and things to help reduce the impact of the tourism boom on the environment there. Where was this charge @Chipper ? I used a loo at Seljalandsfoss but dont remember being charged but that was a few years ago now, i know there is a parking charge now. I bought a fair few sandwiches in supermarkets and don't remember them being that expensive and the exchange rate was worse than it is now - what supermarkets were you going to? There was one with roast beef, mustard and crispy onions that was so good :) which tourists centres did you visit with the £15? (just interested where these prices are, so i can avoid!!)

Hi - the 200Kr for a pee was at Gullfoss. If you bought food in the cafe, this pee was free but as we had just had breakfast and prices were steep, it was cheaper to go to the separate loos and pay - turnstile. On our way to the Snaelfellnes [sp?] peninsula, in the midst of a long drive, we came across a petrol stop -no personnel - and a loo. There was a person employed in the block to collect 100Kr from every cross-legged tourist! There is no parking charge there but you are right about Seljalandsfoss having a car park fee.

As for sandwiches in supermarkets, we went to just about everyone we came across because I cannot eat any alliums [onions, leeks, garlic etc etc] so was rarely able to eat in a cafe; very few places were willing to give that a try for me. The pre-packed sandwiches were all around 1500Kr with minor variations. In the end, we made up picnics a lot. The tourist bit at Geysir was the most helpful but my hot chicken sandwich and chips was around £20 [@130Kr to the £] and the pizza my other half had was a pound or two more. The toll tunnel between Reykjavik and the ford where our hotel was for a couple of nights did allow cash. The tourist centre on the Sn. peninsula did not have any food but the loo was free. We didn't get lunch until 5pm that day, not realising that there wouldn't be food. We did find a great bakery in Reykjavik on the street that we walked down from the cathedral - it's on Trip Advisor - it was very busy. Totally delicious cakes. Parking in the multi storey for 6 hours on a Saturday in Reykjavik was..£2! We had imagined that this would be extortionate - a pleasant surprise and we were able to use most of our coins up on that. Hope that helps.

@Chipper ah not been to Gulfoss for over a decade, well not the cafe anyway. I was on a photo tour when i went to the S peninsula and where we stopped as a cafe and we got a drink and cake, but i dont thikn you had to pay if you didn't do this. but that was a couple of years ago so perhaps thats changed too. Luckily, I have am pretty good at going long stretches without a pee!

That must be so annoying with the allium thing! - Skyr is always a good thing to pick up at supermarkets or rest stops and keeps you full for a long time! I am 99.9% sure I did not pay that much for a sandwich from a supermarket! I am pretty sure i still have some receipts from my last trip, I am going to check them when i get home as it's bugging me! i bought mine from Bonus and Kronan. I think i bought one from a service station but i would expect that to be more.

TBH i don't know where the multistorey car park is. When i went in 2006 we stayed in keflavik so didn't park in RVK, 2007, we only stayed two nights at either end of ring road trip so parked at hotel, 2014 and 2015 didn't hire a car, later in 2015 i stayed in Hafnarfjörður and 2016 i stayed one night in RVK at the hotel right by catherdral and was able to park in the car park right around it, the other two nights I was in Vik.

@FujiLove I am hoping to go back early next year but to Akueryi and it will be a bit more of an 'organised fun' type trip so i think probably less walking - but we shall see! It's always the way isnt it, when i went on year i wanted to build a bit of upper body strength as we were trying an ice climb at the end of the glacier walk - that failed and i was spectaculary crap & took 20mins to climb a bit that my friend took 5mins and the guide wished i had given up lol

Yes.. we went to those supermarkets; one Brit working in a gear place said that inflation was running away as they were generating so much income (no doubt some of it from us) so perhaps things have rocketed a tad since your last visit.

Some prices from last weekend...

Mars bar (supermarket): £1.70

Latte (bookshop): £4.30

0.5l lager (English Pub): £9

Ft-long tuna sub (Subway): £10

Iceland football shirt (tourist shop): £100

These are all from the main strip in Reykjavik, mind - can get cheaper by shopping around.

@Chipper i went and found my receipts as it was annoying me too much.

in 2015 - i bought a sandwich in Kronan in Hafnarfjörður which was 399isk which was £2 at the time and now would be £3, the same sandwich at a service station the S penninsula which was 549isk which was £2.77 at the time and £4 now and a sandwich at the airport (a veggie wrap which was more expensive than some of the others) which was 995isk which was £5 at the time and £7 now

in 2016 i didn't buy any sandwiches as my air bnb in Vik provided a MASSIVE breakfast and i was able to ration lunch from this but i did have a burger and chips at the shop/rest stop that is just before the glacial lagoon which is a popular tourist stop - this was 1490isk which was £10 at the time and would be £11 now.

I also follow a blog called 'live life with a view' and she has a video that is around a year old where she is touring all the grocery shops looking at prices (yes i watch these sorts of things, i love supermarkets in other countries :) ) and I saw the sandwich I'm talking about and it was roughly the same ISK

Unless we have a completely different interpretation of a sandwich (this was just two slices of basic bread with filling, rather than a big baguette or sub type roll) that is some SERIOUS increase in price, as far as I could tell in the difference between visiting in 2013 and 2016 the price rises had been down to currency (ours crap, theirs strengthening) rather than prices being put up. I guess i will see next year what the ISK is of the same things as i will be heading straight to Bonus anyway :)

Well, I don’t know what else to say; I guess we were in very touristy areas but we did go to the yellow supermarkets and a couple of others. And no, we didn’t buy baguettes either due to the alliums thatvseemed to be present in every sandwich. Anyway, we bought bread, cheese and ham and some salads bits. We stayed in hotels organised by Discover the World. Eating in was the sort of price that we would only pay for a very celebratory meal. I suspect it is a bit of the two factors - £ tanking (your rate of around 200Kr is way more than you get now - c130 KR) and the inflation that was mentioned in a previous post. We had 2 crepes in a creperie not far off the main drag in Reykjavik- as we were fed up with sandwiches and wanted to sit down. They were good but very expensive. I haven’t kept receipts as we paid cash wherever we could.

Last edited:
@Chipper the rate in 2015 was 198isk and the rate in 2016 was 150isk (according to xe currency graph anyway - both times it was September).

We went in that creperie ( i think, based on your description) also, but I don't have the receipt for that as my friend paid :LOL: - the other times i went in 2013 (think exchange rate was about 210isk then!) and earlier in 2015 i didn't buy from a shop as we did the same as you and made our own sandwiches - but as it was just me on the other trips and they were only a few days, it would have resulted in wasted food unless i ate a whole loaf of bread myself lol but def the best option with two people :) I've not had many proper meals out in Iceland tbh. One was a place called Uno near the tourist info centre in RVK and one was in Vik which i know was about £32 (at the time - i wouldn't regularly spend that but i arrived very late and it was the only place open and no convenience stores as i'd been out at the plane wreck) and was arctic char oh and the rvk fish and chips place.

The ring road trip i did with one of my other friends in 2007 was with Discover the World, we really enjoyed it and were impressed with the hotels we stayed in - all very different now i'm sure as it was so long ago but i think the exchange rate was similar to what it is now as it was pre crash - and ahahah, I do have the receipt from a meal we had at a FossHotel somewhere (yes I'm a hoarder :exit:)

Will see what its like in Akueryi in Feb - perhaps if someone else goes to RVK in the meantime they can do some sandwich research for us :banana: - but not from 10/11 as that's notoriously overpriced and, i don't know if its still the case but they were putting the prices up in the evening! The prices had put me off going since 2016, but a company is running a trip from a)my local airport only 15mins away and b) direct to the north which is v rare so it's won me over.

did you have to find out all the icelandic words for onion, garlic etc to have with you to check ingredients?

Last edited:
p.s if anyone is interested in learning some icelandic - i read an article on guardian yesterday about it being hard to learn an language if you're not a kid and made a comment about learning icelandic and that it's not on duolingo and pimsluer (which i'd done a free lesson of) was really expensive and someone mentioned this site

https://www.memrise.com/

you can do it online or via an app and it's really engaging. like most things there is a free and pro version but its cheaper than pimsluer and i'm enjoying it so far - i like the visual aspect of it and think it suits the way i learn too.

@Chipper the rate in 2015 was 198isk and the rate in 2016 was 150isk (according to xe currency graph anyway - both times it was September).

We went in that creperie ( i think, based on your description) also, but I don't have the receipt for that as my friend paid :LOL: - the other times i went in 2013 (think exchange rate was about 210isk then!) and earlier in 2015 i didn't buy from a shop as we did the same as you and made our own sandwiches - but as it was just me on the other trips and they were only a few days, it would have resulted in wasted food unless i ate a whole loaf of bread myself lol but def the best option with two people :) I've not had many proper meals out in Iceland tbh. One was a place called Uno near the tourist info centre in RVK and one was in Vik which i know was about £32 (at the time - i wouldn't regularly spend that but i arrived very late and it was the only place open and no convenience stores as i'd been out at the plane wreck) and was arctic char oh and the rvk fish and chips place.

The ring road trip i did with one of my other friends in 2007 was with Discover the World, we really enjoyed it and were impressed with the hotels we stayed in - all very different now i'm sure as it was so long ago but i think the exchange rate was similar to what it is now as it was pre crash - and ahahah, I do have the receipt from a meal we had at a FossHotel somewhere (yes I'm a hoarder :exit:)

Will see what its like in Akueryi in Feb - perhaps if someone else goes to RVK in the meantime they can do some sandwich research for us :banana: - but not from 10/11 as that's notoriously overpriced and, i don't know if its still the case but they were putting the prices up in the evening! The prices had put me off going since 2016, but a company is running a trip from a)my local airport only 15mins away and b) direct to the north which is v rare so it's won me over.

did you have to find out all the icelandic words for onion, garlic etc to have with you to check ingredients?
I put them on a photo sheet I carry about. In the centre at Vik, I showed it and she said I don’t know. I pointed out that they were in I elandic and she said that she didn’t speak Icelandic!

@Chipper - very prepared!

on a more 'equipment list' topic - I now have my 70-200mm that i've been angsting over since 2015 (and excellent deal from a fellow TPer) so hoping that will be good for whale watching. don't think ill go too mad with kit as its an 'organised fun' type holiday so less time for faffing

I took mine on this trip and used it at the hot pools near the airport for some detail shots. Also on a few horses; annoyingly, they came over, suddenly galloped off, came back and were then too close. I might have tried on the ice beach but the rain was horizontal that day... :eek::D

Last edited:
Back