Iceland: October 2015 - Days 8 and 9 added

davekiddle

Like to feel muppets
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
I recently returned from 9 days in Iceland with Trev (Zeb) and a couple of other togs from the camera club. Thought I'd share the story and a few images here.

Day 1: Early start, woke at 01:30 to get to Luton for the 07:30 flight to Reykjavik. After a short delay with the flight, we arrived at about 11.30 and went straight to pick up the hire car. The rest of the day was spent around The Golden Circle touristy route, finally ending at our hotel at Grundarfjörður at about 23:00 after driving for a total of 453km. The northern lights were predicted, so it was a case of dumping the suitcase and getting straight out with the camera. Finally got to bed at about 02:30 Saturday morning, so a 25 hour day!

1. First shot to get the eye in:
Icelandic Church by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Kerið Crater Lake by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Double Rainbow by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Strokkur by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Bruarfoss by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Kirkjufelld by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Last edited:
Some cool shots here! I've got a long weekend booked in Reykjavik at the end for SWMBO's birthday. We're doing touristy things and aurora spotting mostly, but I've negotiated a day for photography. Can't wait!

No other comment from me than…
Thank you for this immense pleasure!

6 and 7 are stunners :clap:

excellent set Dave, looks like you had a cracking time and the weather held out for you.(y)

7 is bloody great as its a well composed landscape shot with a bonus of an aurora, so much better than just a sky of aurora!

Lovely....really like the last two and the last in particular! :clap: Can't wait to go in December!!

You might have been lucky with the weather but the rest is down to skill. A set of photos to aspire to!

Excellent set, for 6 & 7, to get the landscape and the Auroru together in the composition you have, is top work.

A very nice set of images Dave

Day 2: After getting to bed at 02:30, we got up at 06:30 to try and catch a sunrise, but it was not to be. We did however have some lovely light on the mountain. Back to the hotel for breakfast, and then off to explore the Snæfellsnes Peninsula. We'd already booked to spend another night at Grundarfjörður to catch up on some rest after the marathon on day 1. Only 175km travelled, so a relatively easy day :)

Approaching Storms by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Budir Church by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Anarstapi by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Hellisandur church by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Mirrored by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Svörtuloft Lighthouse by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Last edited:
Excellent Set Dave :)

It's weird looking at them though, all my memories of that area are of it covered in snow with frozen waterfalls !!

looks as if it is the type of place you can't pop around to the neighbours to borrow a cup of sugar. Have to agree with others about the photos

Lovely set. Snæfellsnes Peninsula is one of my favourite areas of Iceland, so it was nice to see many excellent shots from that area.

Excellent images, thanks for sharing them... :)

Day 3: We awoke to grey skies and the promise of rain so a leisurely 329km drive to the next hotel was the order of the day, stopping to take some shots of the Icelandic horses and the odd waterfall along the way. Before going to the hotel we headed up to have a look at Hvitserkur sea stack, and ended up spending a couple of hours there. Although they've built a viewing platform at the top of the cliff we opted to clamber down the cliff to get shots from the beach. Not an easy climb in the wet and windy conditions, and the rain and wind made keeping the lenses and filters dry a real challenge. Our umbrellas came in very handy.... :)

Icelandic Horse by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

New Friend by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Drinking by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Hvitserkur Basalt Sea Stack by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

That last one, #4, is excellent.....I love the effect that the black sand gives to the shot and the movement is spot on!! :clap:

Fantastic set, love the way you've incorporated the buildings into the landscapes :)

Day 4: A day of waterfalls! The weather was a bit overcast with that horrible plain grey sky with no definition that all landscape photographers hate! Quite a longish drive today, with the first stop at a pretty gorge and waterfall. Unfortunately the light was poor so no noteworthy photos to put up. After a quick lunch stop in Akureyri, it was on to Godafoss, where we spent a couple of hours with the umbrellas up getting covered in spray! Then on to one of my favourite falls of the trip, Aldeyjarfoss. The noise of the falling water was incredible! 374km covered.

Dominating by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Godafoss by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

The Falls Of The Gods by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Getting In Close by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Aldeyjarfoss by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Feeling Insignificant by Dave Kiddle, on Flickr

Last edited:
That is truly fantastic and one of the best waterfall shots I have seen.

Nice shutter speed and point of view and nice mono conversion.

Back