Iceland - on film

• Thread starter Deleted member 21335
  • Start date
I've found a monopod can work really well with a WLF. In fact using one transformed my feelings for my Minolta Autocord. However, I was able to leave the monopod attached and walk round holding the TLR by the monopod handle; I'm not sure that would work with a Pentax 67! Putting a QR plate on top might be effective?

Hi Gareth - thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards either going completely handheld or taking a monopod as a weight/cost compromise.

I thought the 67 would be a good choice for Iceland as it's rugged and the controls are easy to operate with gloves on. And obviously the quality is top notch. The last time I was there I took a first generation digital camera (some kind of Minolta with an external battery that lasted about five minutes!) and the photos I have are a bit low quality to say the least.

I'll be taking Ektar and Delta 100.

One other question: did you miss having a wide angle lens? I'm not much of a wide angle user, but the 55mm I have for the 67 is exceptional. Another lens to mess with and carry!

I thought I would miss it to be honest but once I was there and saw my fellow photographers wondering which lens to use and swapping and changing and wishing they had another lens on, as well as the massive amounts of kit some people were hauling around, I was happy with my decision of a single focal length and would do it the same way next time without a doubt. Sure, I perhaps missed some things I would have been able to capture with a wide angle lens but I wouldn't change the way I shot it and have no regrets.

I'm glad someone's commented on this post, missed it first time. There's a ridiculous number of photos going up on this forum but it's posts like this that make me glad I'm a member. Absolutely love them.

Thank you so much for the kind words, Sam. :) Just looked at your site and your MTB photos are stunning, especially the homepage one. :)

Not everyone else on last year's TP trip used a tripod most of the time! I far preferred the freedom of hand holding whenever possible, although I did resort to a tripod for the night shots. Most of the time I had a 24-120 mounted on the D750, although the 14mm f/2.8 got some use (tripod mounted) for a few star/aurora shots and the 8mm fisheye for some fun animal portraits and for the spectacular aurora show we had on the last night when nothing else could get it all in frame! I tried to avoid changing lenses "in the field" since it was either freezing cold, blowing a (literal) gale or both most of the time. If I had chosen the wrong lens - tough! The 'pod I took is a Giottos Vitruvian CF one and stood up to the D750's weight pretty well - not sure it would be up to a 67 though.

I thought I would miss it to be honest but once I was there and saw my fellow photographers wondering which lens to use and swapping and changing and wishing they had another lens on, as well as the massive amounts of kit some people were hauling around, I was happy with my decision of a single focal length and would do it the same way next time without a doubt. Sure, I perhaps missed some things I would have been able to capture with a wide angle lens but I wouldn't change the way I shot it and have no regrets.

Thank you so much for the kind words, Sam. :) Just looked at your site and your MTB photos are stunning, especially the homepage one. :)

Good to hear you didn't miss having the wide lens too much. I'm definitely leaning towards just taking the Pentax & 90mm lens, plus my Rolleicord as a backup/alternate film camera. Ektar loaded in one and Delta in the other.

The monopod also appeals, especially as I've found a few decent looking lightweight models for not much more than £100, whereas the light tripods seem to be £350+. That's a lot of film and a trip to the ice caves! [emoji3]

TBH, I reckon you'll need a tripod in the ice caves. Have a look on Flickr and look at people's EXIF to see what sort of ISOs and shutter speeds they were using.

TBH, I reckon you'll need a tripod in the ice caves. Have a look on Flickr and look at people's EXIF to see what sort of ISOs and shutter speeds they were using.

Good idea, thanks. May be worth sticking a roll or two of Portra 400 in that I can push to 1600.

[heresy]Or take a reasonable d*****l as well as the MF kit![/heresy]

Only just spotted this thread, lovely images . Have a friend just gone to Iceland. Need to pull finger out and go.

Just spotted that @gazmorton2000 has a featured image from Iceland on UKFilmLab's catchup blog post this month. Well done, Gareth.(y)

Really nice Gareth. I have a little film itch but I have no idea as to where to start, but I think that's some of the appeal! First foray into this section.

The F&C section is the most friendly part of this forum, and people are very eager to help and advise for any questions that you have. If you decide to start a thread asking for advice on how to start, you'll get tonnes of helpful replies very quickly :)

The main attraction of film, for me at least, is that there are so many different types of cameras and formats, that you're always learning and trying new things. If you just want to "dip your toe" in film then you can pick up a medium format camera for less than £100 if you're patient, and give it a try. The best thing is that they're usually quite a few years old so you can sell them for almost what you pay for them :D

I'd definitely at least try it though if I were you, there's nothing quite like the experience of using a waist level finder :)

The F&C section is the most friendly part of this forum, and people are very eager to help and advise for any questions that you have. If you decide to start a thread asking for advice on how to start, you'll get tonnes of helpful replies very quickly :)

The main attraction of film, for me at least, is that there are so many different types of cameras and formats, that you're always learning and trying new things. If you just want to "dip your toe" in film then you can pick up a medium format camera for less than £100 if you're patient, and give it a try. The best thing is that they're usually quite a few years old so you can sell them for almost what you pay for them :D

I'd definitely at least try it though if I were you, there's nothing quite like the experience of using a waist level finder :)

Thanks Carl. I just think we are all quite nostalgic about the past and most of the time I am emulating film in my digital output anyway. I used to be fascinated watching my grandfather develop as a child. I quite like the idea of learning how different films expose and taking my time to ensure that every shot counts.

Am just thinking of 35mm at first; a Nikon body so that I can utilise my current lenses.

Really nice Gareth. I have a little film itch but I have no idea as to where to start, but I think that's some of the appeal! First foray into this section.

THank you. :) Some good advice from Carl there.

At the risk of patronising you, they are full frame lenses with aperture selector rings, are they?
Ah ha, full frame yes, but I was assuming my lenses would work manually with something like an F100/F5? So, lenses too then.

Printing and scanning was my biggest question.

THank you. :) Some good advice from Carl there.

No rush for me, I shall read a little first and see what comes up in the classifieds.

Back