ID... Buzzard or Marsh harrier? (crap shot warning!)

Name
Janice
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone decide if this this is a buzzard or a marsh harrier please?

Taken this morning over the Forest of Dean, near Wales, gave the usual cat-like mew as it flew. This is from the underside.

Sorry its a crap shot, 300mm at 1/90" LOL :D

no time to fiddle..."its a buzzard " click click click! :LOL:

But now Im not so sure! :shrug:

bird.jpg

Is it likely to be a marsh harrier over a coniferous forest and heathland??

does this help with the underside markings? looks buzzardy to me with the dark ends then the white section!! :D

Was flying very high up.

birdclose.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's a marsh harrier Janice i took some pics of one yesterday will post some in a while but like yours it was a long way off.:)

I'd say it was a buzzard due to its body size.
And the white area under its wings.
It also doesn't seem to have a whiteish face.

Only guessing though. ;)

I'd say it was a buzzard due to its body size.
And the white area under its wings.
It also doesn't seem to have a whiteish face.

Only guessing though. ;)

I think im tending towards buzzard... dont harriers fly lower? this was enormously high up...hence the crappy shot!

one of the reasons i went for buzzard early on Janice, its the tail not being fanned out thats confusing me, dont remember ever seeing abuzzard with its tail folded while soaring !

I agree with that ian.

The fanned tail bit, Buzzards tails are normally fanned when soaring.:razz: :D

Perhaps he was 'tired and shagged out after a long squawk'!!! :D :LOL: :woot:

Well Im going for a Marsh Buzzard then!!

Have looked at second pic with glasses on and what i originally thought was scratches on censor is white under wings it's a buzzard.:embarrassed: :D

Have looked at second pic with glasses on and what i originally thought was scratches on censor is white under wings it's a buzzard.:embarrassed: :D

I think I did mention earlier about the white section under the wings....but hey, what do I know, I'm only a woman!!! :rules: :woot: :exit:

Back