ID Confirmation Please?

Yv

TPer Emerita
Name
Yvonne, pronounced Eve...
Edit My Images
Yes
Had the camera set up with 120-300mm lens at the back window today whilst I pottered around doing various jobs. Grabbed some nice garden bird shots. However, these appeared in the tree at the back of the garden several times. At first I though they were Thrushes, but on reading that book CT recommended, now I am wondering if they are actually redwings? There were in a group, as many as 10 in the tree at once. Apologies for image quality, they were a bit far away but if they are going to be regular visitors, will make an effort to get some better images.

1 - part of a larger group

4185100632_143278328c_o.jpg

2 - heavy crop from above pic

4184340415_38d51d9e1f_o.jpg

3 - in individual right at the very top of tree with slightly better camera settings, still a heavy crop though.

4185100990_5b0127ceb5_o.jpg

Thankyou in advance for any info

easiest way to tell is the red under the wing, but also the number, Thrushes are rarely seen in flocks or trees, you may also see a small number of Fieldfares in among the group as well, as they seem to hang out together.

Rubbish pic, but you can just see the differences

Redwing_and_Fieldfare.jpg

Thanks Ian, it was the number that made me check the book as I dont ever recall seeing thrushes in groups, always see them alone. Lo and behold they share a full page spread, so I thought confirmation from one of you experts would settle it. (y)

If they do appear regularly over next few days, strikes me as a good excuse for setting camera up at bedroom window :naughty: ;)

edit: Also meant to say, moved to fluffies now I have ID, as not really pics for critique on this occasion.

Back