ID Needed Please - of a tree! (New Image Added)

Name
Pip
Edit My Images
Yes
It's been driving me mad, this tree is by the pond in the park opposite my house, and I can't work out what it is - it's not in my books, which are fairly basic to be honest. I thought to myself, I know, I'll go to the font of all wisdom! But nobody was in, so I've come to TP instead... only kidding of course wise people! Anyway, it's a fairly boring tree most of the time, but now it has lots of clusters of yellow fruit. I wonder if I can do anything with them?

If anyone can tell me I'd be very happy indeed!
Thanks,
Pip.

3820479915_b42e6b6803_o.jpg

3821286290_d93570632c_o.jpg

3820480297_259c0221b2_o.jpg

Last edited:
i always thought that crabapples were like little bitter apples - I remember eating them when I was younger from my mates garden. These fruit are much more yellow and are quite squashy if that's any help.

That aint a cherry! 1st reply is correct, its a crabapple! Makes great preserves and chutney (also wine).

Now I'm confused, it looks like both of them! No wonder I couldn't find it in my book. Perhaps I can only find out by making some jam and some chutney from it and seeing which one tastes better?!!
Any way of telling between the two? I'll bring a fruit home tomorrow and cut it in half to see what it contains, pips or a stone?

Cherry's grow in two's, leaf is totally different, crab apples are usually 3-4cms, cherry's are 1-2cms, cherry's are sweet, crab apples are very bitter, they make great preseves and chutney's! (Heard that before somewhere!!)

Im sure thats not a crab apple. all the fruits are identical in colour and crab apples are some green some more red as they all ripen differntly.

im not sure what it is.. but i dont think its a crab apple.

Just to confuse matters even further!

I think it's a yellow plum tree.
I had one in the garden of my first house....never seen yellow plums before.
Don't know the name of the variety, but I think they're mainly used for desserts & jams.
Try google images for yellow plums...

If you grab one and cut it open to find an oval stone, as in a traditional plum, then we'll know!!

I think we need Kevin Turvey to investigate this matter :LOL:

It looks a bit like what we used to call "hella bella" a plum type fruit, quite edible
Hmm Wheres Charlie ( Sawman) when you need him :shrug:

The first picture looks very much like a Mirabelle plum tree.

But that last one does'nt look like a plum.

Not a plum as plums don't have dimples in the bottom of their fruits they are round bottomed

Cherry's grow in two's, leaf is totally different, crab apples are usually 3-4cms, cherry's are 1-2cms, cherry's are sweet, crab apples are very bitter, they make great preseves and chutney's! (Heard that before somewhere!!)
Definitely in clusters of more than 2 as can be seen from pic 2.

Im sure thats not a crab apple. all the fruits are identical in colour and crab apples are some green some more red as they all ripen differntly.

im not sure what it is.. but i dont think its a crab apple.
That's what I thought, but maybe there's lots of different types?

Just to confuse matters even further!

I think it's a yellow plum tree.
I had one in the garden of my first house....never seen yellow plums before.
Don't know the name of the variety, but I think they're mainly used for desserts & jams.
Try google images for yellow plums...

If you grab one and cut it open to find an oval stone, as in a traditional plum, then we'll know!!
Ooh, soundsplausible. They look a bit plumish.

I agree with stopher, it defo looks like a yellow plum, how big are the fruits?
About 1/2 inch wide I suppose?

I think you're right on this one Ajophotog. Here's another link that has a bit more detail about the tree.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/WhatsOn/gardens/rosemoor/archive/rosemoorpom03nov.asp
Oh lordy, my head sure do hurt now.

I think we need Kevin Turvey to investigate this matter :LOL:
Definitely. I'd quite forgotten Kevin Turvey! Great shout, and well worth a youtube for anyone who doesn't remember him!

It looks a bit like what we used to call "hella bella" a plum type fruit, quite edible
Hmm Wheres Charlie ( Sawman) when you need him :shrug:
Good call.

The first picture looks very much like a Mirabelle plum tree.

But that last one does'nt look like a plum.
It's the last one left of a 'cluster' so may look a bit odd.

Ha, this appears to be one of my more popular threads now! And it's not even really about the photos (although I do quite like #3!). I will get a fruit tomorrow and cut it open and exhibit the results, possibly eveb with a ruler in the picture to give a scale.
Thanks to everyone for the input, we'll get a positive ID soon!

I certainly go along with plum, as loads of them up here in a woodland hedgerow, the answer will be tomorrow when it is cut open and will find the oval seed.
The last photo look entirely different, is this from same tree.

Last edited:
What about a quince? either that or very strange shaped bananas

Been over the road this morning and got some fruits... I think that this probably points towards the plum contingency! Or is it cherry...?
Anyway, a (rather harsh onboard flash) pic of the results.

3822144471_7a021caf55.jpg

Pip

Its a plum, or an even stranger banana

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so sure about it being a Crab, I've never seen one with such yellow fruit. Before you draw any conclusion, I'd check that it's not a Quince tree, they have yellow fruit, but I'm not sure the leaf shape is right. Unfortunately I'm not in the right place to check my books. If no one got it by this evening I should know for certain then.

So the banana theory is out of the question then....

You've just made it a whole lot harder getting Percy involved..... he's been dead for years :LOL:

Hmm, had a bit too much red wine last night, not sure I want to risk it!

On second thoughts... just had a bit of one. Definitely plum. Quite good actually, although tiny bit sharp. Nice!

Yep that sounds and looks like the "hella bella" I referred to
( I am sure it has a proper name but I have no idea what it is though)

Just my final word on this, looking again nearly sure the last photo is Crab apple but wonder if the two photos above have the same fruit, could it not be because its an old garden, the root stock of the Crab has got overwhelmed by the other tree which looks like a Plum(Myrobolan) which grows red or yellow.
The proof will be when it is cut open, core or stone, but would like to know if the last one shown is the same as the fruit overhanging the pond.

Just my final word on this, looking again nearly sure the last photo is Crab apple but wonder if the two photos above have the same fruit, could it not be because its an old garden, the root stock of the Crab has got overwhelmed by the other tree which looks like a Plum(Myrobolan) which grows red or yellow.
The proof will be when it is cut open, core or stone, but would like to know if the last one shown is the same as the fruit overhanging the pond.

Yes dunedin, all the shots are of the same tree, and I picked 3 fruit from that very same tree this morning before cutting them open to reveal a stone as you can see from the later photo in post #23.
And it is a very old garden I suppose, it's Popes Meadow in Binfield which used to be the garden of the parents of the young Alexander Pope (1688-1784 and moved here in 1700 according to wiki).

Yellow mirrabelle, small plum we have just started brewing wine with
the red variety:D I think what is causing confusion is that on your close
up shot it has a mark at the bottom which makes it look a bit more
crabappleish. on your cross section cut this is not apparent

Last edited:
We have a lot of mirabelles growing around here, definitly a mirabelle.

As Carol (gromit99) says make wine from them, you'll be amazed at the strength and quality ;)

Back