Idea - Film Photo Showcase Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigYin

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
After a couple of posts by Fred2511 in the mahoosive "Show us yer..." thead, I've been thinking... (always dangerous!)

How would "da film massive" feel about an on-going Film Photo of the Week thread.

I'm not sure about the mechanics behind how to do it - we do a similar thing for the picture of the week, nominated by the mod/admin team and use the RTM button to gather the votes (the rtm button submits a verbatim copy of the post to the staff room, so it's easy to make sure the correct shot is entered).

Anyway, however the votes are registered, what I propose is whichever shot gets the most votes gets into the FPOTW (fillum picture of the week) thread. In the event of a tie, former POTY winners votes count double, and if there's still a tie, i'll have the casting vote.

So....

What do we reckon ? Is it a flyer, or another dumb idea on the scale of the Homeless Holga ?

ETA : Showcase Thread is up and Running here

Last edited:
Sounds like a good idea! We do have some great photographers hiding out here in the smelly section of TP! ;)

That reminds me, lots of films to develop...

Sounds ok to me...but Osh can only be nominated every 3rd month or its not going to be fair.:D

:LOL: as long as people don't nominate their own shot, i'm not proposing "nobbling" anyone... Maybe it'll even get us all to raise our own games (or in my case, get out and play occasionally) ?

Every week ? It's a problem for people to enter the photo challenge once a month.

:LOL: as long as people don't nominate their own shot,

Ah there goes my idea....... looks like I'll have to bribe someone then! :D :D

Another vote from me to give it a whirl although perhaps for those of us who will never produce G'Osh shots, a seperate "WORST film photo of the week" thread could also be in the pipeline?? ....at least then there would be a fair chance of me obtaining poll position!:D

Every week ? It's a problem for people to enter the photo challenge once a month.

This wouldnt have a theme, I would guess the images are taken from the SUYFS thread and the photos from film section.

a seperate "WORST film photo of the week" thread could also be in the pipeline?? ....

That's the Hooley'd shots thread :nuts:

Mmmm you have a point Brian ....A certain tog who was/is doing 52 cameras in 52 weeks/months/ years:D comes to mind....I'm sure he'll be along shortly so I'll get hid!! :D

I like this idea. It's the kind of no pressure non time sensitive idea that really floats a lazy persons boat :) I seem to have stopped shooting at the moment so the weeks when I can post anything it's good to know there's a chance of GLORY!!

The whole idea Brian, is that there is no theme, no deadlines, no rules, just post your pictures as normal, and your peers nominate 1 picture a week, whichever gets the most votes gets in the showcase thread...

The whole idea Brian, is that there is no theme, no deadlines, no rules, just post your pictures as normal, and your peers nominate 1 picture a week, whichever gets the most votes gets in the showcase thread...

Would this be any picture taken at anytime? if so, I have no problem as I have thousands going back 50 years :)

I think this is a good idea, although like all such the details will make or break it. I really like the SUYFST thread... not sure how to say the next bit... but quality is a bit variable! That's OK, it's not expected to be anything else given the range of purposes that people have for posting. But it would be nice to have some recognition when someone posts a particularly good one...

Presumably nominees could come from any thread in F&C and also Photos from Film? I'd suggest that limiting to pics shot that week would be pointless in this forum. Perhaps there's a place for a "historical" version of SUYFST; I'm certainly more inclined to post recent shots than much older ones (although when I first ventured here I did show a "few from each camera" from my past).

Candidate field, nomination and voting processes seem to be the issues that might make or break this?

Would this be any picture taken at anytime? if so, I have no problem as I have thousands going back 50 years :)

I think it would be unfair to include peoples back catalogues as not everyone has a 50 year archive to draw from. It hardly promotes getting out and taking pictures if the "winner" posts photos from the 1960s and doesnt take anything now.

robhooley167 said:
I think it would be unfair to include peoples back catalogues as not everyone has a 50 year archive to draw from. It hardly promotes getting out and taking pictures if the "winner" posts photos from the 1960s and doesnt take anything now.

Agreed. I think it's a great idea but I do think the only fair way to work it would be if people were posting their most recent images.

(y)

Despite my own lack of new shots posted lately I do agree that these should encourage new photography, but...

... maybe we could also have a series of specific Post your best ever "portrait/street/landscape/sport/b&w/colour/slide/abstract/macro" threads

Then everyone can dig out stuff from their archives.

Last edited:

Well I don't mind either way, but a good shot is a good shot no matter when it was taken and is timeless.

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Sounds good to me, and I agree with Rob, new shots only would be best imo

I'm glad you liked it, seeing as I kind of "nominated" you're choices to carry a little extra weight Mr. POTY Winner (yes, I know the nametag's disappeared temporarily... so have all the Mod's custom ones... it's part of the "tinkering" that Marcel's doing behind the scenes, but rest assured there are people lobbying heavily to get the POTY Winners nametag reinstated ASAP ;))

Top and bottom of it Brian is, if people get sick to the back teeth of people trotting out old shots, they won't nominate them no matter how good they may be, so i'm sure it'll be self regulating.

I'll nail MY colours to the mast though - if we DO get this off the ground, then I'll certainly give preference to non-archive material.

Top and bottom of it Brian is, if people get sick to the back teeth of people trotting out old shots, they won't nominate them no matter how good they may be, so i'm sure it'll be self regulating.

I'll nail MY colours to the mast though - if we DO get this off the ground, then I'll certainly give preference to non-archive material.

Well I don't mind what is decided but unless modern children are all green or St Pauls cathedral has fallen down it would be difficult to know when the shot was taken....but I promise I wont cheat :)

Excellent idea and I agree about keeping it to new shots.

Seconded !!

and

Don't we think a film shot will get in to the "shot of the week" thread in TP then ??

Seconded !!

and

Don't we think a film shot will get in to the "shot of the week" thread in TP then ??

Glad you like the idea, and YES, I DO think at some time a film shot will get in there - however, this is more of a mechanism where the best of the film shots get a "showcase" thread, as nominated by the people who hang out IN HERE - lets face it, sometimes the massive "show us" thread moves on 2 pages between times I log in, so for some of the less frequent visitors to the forum (as in maybe 3-4 times a week, as opposed to 2-3 times a day) it is a big ask to get people to trawl back through quite a few pages.

It's a sad fact of forums that few people actually step back from the last page of a thread unless theres a good reason - hopefully, getting people to nominate shots MIGHT provide that good reason.

I'm liking this idea a lot, but I'm curious about the "new" shots thing... how new? Reason I ask is I've got two rolls in the fridge waiting to be developed, one of which is a few months old, but it'd still be new to me, which got me to wondering.

Anything shot in the last year is probably new by filmies standards :D

Sounds reasonable... I've got a roll of slide film waiting to be developed that I started shooting on TPDay... 2012 :LOL:

I'm sure everyone will have their own interpretation on it - which is what I like about the idea :)

I've also "tweaked" the thread title a little - to reflect that it's a Showcase thread, rather than a Rival to the forum wide POTW.

I'm also still trying to think of a good way of organising the actual nominations...

Was just wondering if there was any progess on this idea?

Short answer Steve is... no, no progress just yet partly as there's the new forum stuff going on in the background, and honestly, I've been full of cold for the last week and not capable of organising a decent fart after a gallon of Guinness!

im not sure as to what the thread actually pertains to?
Ime not sure if the digatal best can meet with the film best.
its like bonnie tyler meets paris hilton.
the massively over processed its all ok if its a button on photoshop
doesn't realy equate to the "click" and scan of the average film taker.
i must admit a lot of the pics in the digitle world are followed by the statement of how much processing?
by all means i think inclusion is the way forward i the full PC sense.

Paul,

I think this proposed thread is to address that issue so it's the best of the film for that week showcase. I know there is a showcase already for the best photo across the forum for the last week. Realistically, I cant see many film photos being chosen for this if any. Looking at the recent selected photos for that thread, they are technically excellent and of a quality (with maybe the help of PP?) that I'm not sure film can compete with.

I like the Paris Hilton analogy and offer up Audrey Hepburn meets Katie Price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back