Idea - Film Photo Showcase Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe this is a very good idea and will be great fun to run on a weekly/monthly basis. We have a great deal of posts in the show us thread and to showcase the best and vote a winner is a great idea for ongoing stimulation for us all.

Well done TBY.:clap:

I've just dropped this weeks update to the showcase... Thanks to all the people who took the time to nominate a shot - I had lots to choose from but not only were the two entries this week the only ones to recieve multiple nominations, co-incidentally they were the two I were agonising over which one to nominate... so it seemed churlish not to add them both :)

Congratulations to Adrian (@Jao) and Paul (@PMN)

I think in 30+ years of taking photo's I've only really truly been happy with 2-3 frames. Every other one of the thousands of shots have had sufficient problems for me to not like them, and probably 90% of them have been faulty enough to hate them...

Why Do I bother... same reason as I keep on working on the staff here I suppose, because I want things to improve...

^^^ Same here. I think that I've taken maybe 20 shots I really like (not necessarily 100% happy with mind you) and of those about 10 are on film, so a much higher rate of likes than with digital.
The 2 new shots are both top images in mho.

Well I suppose the answer about liking photos depends on the subject, e.g. if it's your own child you would like nearly all them (well except OOF ones etc).

I'm not sure why you'd keep doing something you hated the results from. I'm generally happy with many of the photos I take. Perhaps I just have lower standards ;) There might be minor niggles but so what. They capture memories and things you've seen and that is far more important.

I've just dropped this weeks update to the showcase... Thanks to all the people who took the time to nominate a shot - I had lots to choose from but not only were the two entries this week the only ones to recieve multiple nominations, co-incidentally they were the two I were agonising over which one to nominate... so it seemed churlish not to add them both :)

Agreed that both deserve to be included in the showcase.

Lovely work and congratulations to both.

I'm not sure why you'd keep doing something you hated the results from. I'm generally happy with many of the photos I take. Perhaps I just have lower standards ;) There might be minor niggles but so what. They capture memories and things you've seen and that is far more important.

Oh - i'm like it in everything - when I recently redecorated the living room, everyone who came in said how great it looked - what a great finish i'd got, how nicely the wallpaper had been put on - even to the extend of a couple of 'em asking if I would do some work for them... all I can see when I look at it is the 1" long run in the paint on the coving in the far corner of the room, and the fact that there's a tear in the paper in the opposite corner (which is behind the bookcase anyway)... I'm just never happy with ANYTHING I do... it's not just photography - but it NEVER stops me striving to actually attempt perfection :LOL:

Welcome to the wonderful world of OCD...checks light switch 20 times before leaving room.

Well after a really c**p 13 hour day at work I was made up to see 2 of my shots in the showcase, I am chuffed and appreciative !

Rather surprised (and happy) to find a couple of mine in there, thanks very much chaps! :)

Well after a really c**p 13 hour day at work I was made up to see 2 of my shots in the showcase, I am chuffed and appreciative !

All well deserved, and shot's I'd hate to think could just get buried otherwise...

You may have noticed that the "front page" of the new forum has a facility to "promote" certain threads... One of the reasons for coming up with this whole idea was to eventually (as in, when the initial flurry of NEW FORUM notices etc. calm's down a little :LOL:) be able to drop the new additions to the showcase thread onto the "home page" for a couple of days when an update is made...

Just a Little Bump - and a request if I May...

If you could put the word "NOMINATION" in the "conversation title" just so it's clear for me to go through them each week. I have to say I kind of underestimated the number of other messages I'd end up getting both regarding the new forum stuff and generally, and frankly there's pages and pages of the damned things to wade through at the moment so anything that simplifies things for me makes it les likely i'll miss something.

Don't re-send any you've already done BTW - and if you COULD keep it to a single image each per week it'd be great...

Cheers all :)

Aah, I was thinking of asking if we could nominate more than one. Makes sense to keep it to one though.

which reminds me - I haven't actually picked my favourite this week yet... :bonk:

I was wondering if you used "Likes" as an indicator? Might help lower the cost of receiving so many emails... but of course, a Like is for a post, not an image.

I was wondering if you used "Likes" as an indicator? Might help lower the cost of receiving so many emails... but of course, a Like is for a post, not an image.
I don't know, I sometimes 'like' an image..... normally when I'm not able to make a post/comment about it, for whatever reason...

Be ruthless Mark, otherwise this thread will be a show us yours clone in no time at all...lol

John, I'm sure you know I have no problem being ruthless...

It's part of the reason I got the name badge and hairnet ;)

Last edited:
Thread updated again Folks - have to say that for a number of reasons, there really only could be one shot this week - not only from the number of nominations, but frankly, nothing else seemed quite as time appropriate... even if (technically) it's an archive shot. If there's overwhelming feeling that it shouldn't be posted, then we'll change it to a "special mention" and pass right on to next week...

Update's here folks - and congratulations once again to Adrian (@Jao)

Last edited:
I wanted to post a short note to thank those that nominated my 'accidental' image this week. I do understand it created some issues and I also wanted to acknowledge and say that I understand and respect the points that Richard made in another thread. I originally posted the shot in the: Show us yer "Hooley'd" film shots then! with no expectation for the image beyond sharing my ineptitude in accidentally creating a double exposure. This error probably sits in the same ballpark as shooting on a rangefinder with the lens cap on!

I am pleased some people liked the ‘accident’ and I completely agree with Mark that if there is a feeling that it shouldn't be posted, I am happy for it to be removed and expunged from the thread record.

I have however reflected over the last couple of days about the notion of an 'accidental' image. If I am entirely honest, quite of few of the images I am most proud to have taken are the outcomes of an element of the ‘accidental’ as well as judgement and design. One of the things that I most love about shooting with film is the sense that however much I put into the preparation, composition, metering and processing there is a clear delay between the act of taking/making the image and then seeing the finished product some time later. I cannot honestly say that in the intervening hours, days (or weeks sometimes!) I know exactly what I am going to get in the image. This is why I love film, the anticipation, the elation when the shot worked and even the disappointment when things have not come out as I had hoped are rich and rewarding aspects of why I am a hardcore film photographer.

Last edited:
Update - this weeks additions now added

congratulations to @zoomspot and @osh

(thanks to everyone who took the time to nominate, and to those that didn't... well - what are you waiting for ? - nominations for this weeks entries (images posted between 00:00:01 18/11/2013 and 23:59:59 24/11/2013 are eligeable...)

Last edited:
It's a well deserved win by zoomspot..... it's a lovely image, and it's really nice to see something different.....

And well done to Osh too

They are all deserved, truly lovely images. well done ..

What am i missing how do i nominate?

Send Mark a pm with an image you feel is particularly good....I think somewhere on this thread is the 'how to'.... a winner will be chosen from nominations.

Send Mark a pm with an image you feel is particularly good....I think somewhere on this thread is the 'how to'.... a winner will be chosen from nominations.

Ah ok, thanks Lee, i'll go look search and read!

Lets just hope that @zoomspot isn't doing the typical wedding photography business SEO job of posting a photograph with lots of links pimping their business and then buggering off and never returning to thank the visitors, reply to critique or otherwise participate in the community aspect of the forum. :naughty:

Still - at least our resident greenie can always have a reshuffle, and there's a perfectly wonderful alternative already posted in there from @osh :)

send me a PM with the title "Nominations - Film Showcase" and include a link to the thread and post (click on the little grey number in the corner of the post box and get the link) - and - should there be more than one image in the post, try and include the picture in the message too...

send me a PM with the title "Nominations - Film Showcase" and include a link to the thread and post (click on the little grey number in the corner of the post box and get the link) - and - should there be more than one image in the post, try and include the picture in the message too...

(y) Excellent thank you Mark ( and for including a how/where to link):D

oh, one more little thing folks, in the actual showcase thread, do me a favour will you all, please... If you like the photo's go to the original thread and hit the "like" button by all means, but somehow I seem to have accumlated goodness knows how many likes on that single thread, and frankly - it's not me that deserves any of the Kudos, its the person who hit the shutter release.

Cheers all :)

But we like you too :hug:

But we like you too :hug:

Aww such love in the F&C section
clear.png

Nobody bothering nominating this week ? I've had a grand total of 2 people this week...

We can still vote?.... i nearly messaged you the this morning because i realized i was too late especially after asking you when what how etc and felt bad

I'm thinking of just Keeping open for two weeks this time tbh... But anything from last week or this one being eligible and the people who did vote last week get to vote again the week...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back