Ideas for indoors?

Name
Simon Everett
Edit My Images
Yes
Not being allowed out. What sort of things have people got in mind to do something indoors?

After seeing a thread on here the other day I'm half tempted to photograph some "small people".

Models of people in various poses and activities basically.

You can buy the models on ebay or Amazon.

Still lifes. I collected a lot of things when out and about earlier in the year - seashells, conkers, pebbles and such. Now us the time to use them

I am also trying out focus stacking. The actual focus stacking is quite easy but using it to good effect requires practice.

A perfect opportunity to get to grips with flash photography, portraiture, still life, conceptual photography, macro, photomanipulation, and generally exercising your imagination and lateral thinking. I'm a veteran of daily challenges and most of my photography is within the confines of, or within a mile of my house.

Talking of hot, buttered crumpet... It's convincing Mrs Nod that's holding me back!!!

I always have my camera with me while taking my daily exercise outside..

Yeah the little Lego / Toy men ( or women ) looks fun if you have the right lens.

A reply I made a while ago to a similar request

Not normally popular when I suggest it but think about Still Life.
You can arrange the objects to give good composition, choose the colours to create harmony or to clash, try different numbers of objects – is 1 best or 2 or 3 etc. Move everything around so that the light is from a different direction, diffuse the light, reflect the light, shade the light. Try different focal lengths at the same, and different, distances. Underexpose, overexpose by different amounts to see the effect. Experiment with different apertures for DoF. Change the ISO to use small apertures at shutter speeds where you can hand hold the camera without shake, check the amount of noise when using high ISO etc.
While doing all that you do not have to worry that the subject is moving, or will disappear.
It really is worthwhile because once you have the subject set up you are no longer worried about getting a good/great picture, it is all about playing and learning.

Like lots of people you may not be keen at first but once you start the details take over, and you get engrossed.

Either that or be like me and paint a bedroom!

My idea involves drinking a glass or two of vintage port, eating some hot buttered crumpets and watching a log fire. Repeat as required until the sun comes out. Well, you did ask! ;)

That is about my lot at the moment. Logs are fast running out though - I still have 4 bottles of port left and half a stilton! I haven't picked my camera up since about October. I need some inspiration and I have very little motivation.

That is about my lot at the moment. Logs are fast running out though - I still have 4 bottles of port left and half a stilton! I haven't picked my camera up since about October. I need some inspiration and I have very little motivation.
Just embrace your under-achievement and enjoy the port. ;) As for inspiration, a still life of port and stilton might be a good place to start? Clearing it away after the shoot could be enjoyable too! :)

Just embrace your under-achievement and enjoy the port. ;) As for inspiration, a still life of port and stilton might be a good place to start? Clearing it away after the shoot could be enjoyable too! :)

That is a good idea actually! Sometimes things are staring you in the face. I need to get out in the garden and practice flying my drone too. Practice with the sticks to fly figures and shapes.

Back